Seating on flight question

midwestchick

When you're flying into Newark, are you able to view the NY skyline if you have a window seat and if so, which side of the plane should you book your seats? I know it sounds like a silly question but I try and take photos of the view if it's a good one.

Otherwise I'm going to book aisle seats so neither of us has to sit in a middle seat.

Depends....I wouldn't worry about it...

If you approach from the SOUTH the skyline should be ahead to the right.....

If you approach from the NORTH it will be on the left...so it depends on the wind, which can change since you'll land INTO the wind.....

When I stayed up there a couple months ago, the flight path changed over the course of several hours......it's a nice view, but hard to predict where it will be.....

I'd just choose a seat and not fret too much...and if the weather is crappy, well....

Edited by megr1125

Depends....I wouldn't worry about it...

If you approach from the SOUTH the skyline should be ahead to the right.....

If you approach from the NORTH it will be on the left...so it depends on the wind, which can change since you'll land INTO the wind.....

When I stayed up there a couple months ago, the flight path changed over the course of several hours......it's a nice view, but hard to predict where it will be.....

I'd just choose a seat and not fret too much...and if the weather is crappy, well....

I have no idea where we'll be approaching from flying from Chicago. Just trying to figure out if I should book A and B seats E and F seats....hmmmmm.

I have no idea where we'll be approaching from flying from Chicago. Just trying to figure out if I should book A and B seats E and F seats....hmmmmm.

right...you will not know...so that is why i said just pick seats you like...even the pilots will not know til they get ready for final...

By the time you have a decent view of the NY skyline on your approach to EWR, your flight will be on its final descent (whether it's coming up the NJ Turnpike from a southern path or coming over northern NJ/down the Hudson and/or over the interiors of PA/NJ - as there are numerous airborne highway into EWR, assuming cloud ceiling & weather aren't at play ... kettles sitting next/nearby (fellow pax) and/or FA might freak out & start screaming to put your electronics away (as I've seen that on more than one occassion - with flying grandpa/ma (veteran FA for legacy airlines on these short shuttle routes - sometimes on those tiny 50/75 seaters RJ or regional jets, as it's very easy to see everything even everyone is strapped in the upright positions for landing ...)

So, don't bother planning to sit on the AC or DF side - 15+ years ago, everyone were more relaxing flying and these days, with part of the NY airspace declared restricted & off-limits, don't become the news flying in to your cruise.

But, if you insist, pick the last 2 or 3 rows on the back of the AC on those small tin can jets and there won't be anyone behind you to freak out - as it's typically 2-2 configuration on UAX & alike, use seatguru dot com to check your flight details before booking your seats. Plus, the FA are in front of you.

If you are on an RJ you might get 29/11 and landing 29 (West to East) NYC will be behind you ;) They can even land a 767 on 29/111 6k foot runway but its a pretty quick stop.

Personally some of the approaches to LGA with the city on the left and when landing 22 they send you up to New Rochelle before turning around to come back is the one I like but who picks airports for the approaches other than pilots?

FWIW

It ended up being an eenie meenie miney mo. I've never had anyone freak out when I pull out my camera and I've done it many, many times.

I may not see anything to photograph and I did choose E & F seats, although not in the back. Our flight has the typical 3 rows on each side seating arrangement.

Thanks for the input.