It all turned out for the best.

Whitemarsh

I realised today that we haven't had a "dress code" thread for ages. You know, the ones were someone comes on (usually their first post) and claims that they're transporting their elephant from Dubai to Pago Pago and that's the only reason why they're travelling Cunard. Following on from this (or any other sob story) they usually ask whether exceptions be made for them with the dress code. Someone will reply no and then someone else will announce that we're all a bunch of snobs etc etc and it all ends in tears.

Whilst I sometimes miss the "cut & thrust" (as one of my more sympathetic correspondents once put it) of a Cunard dress code debate it would appear that the recent change to the dress code has simplified the matter for - seemingly - everyone and perhaps that's why the dress code threads died a natural death.

Whether of not the lack of dress code threads is good thing or not, feedback from passengers on cruises after the changes were implemented has (to my memory) been pretty positive with most stating that the (new) dress code is being nearly uniformly complied with.

So all in all, it's all turned out pretty good. And I think that's something worth acknowledging. :)

I'm assuming that the elephant packet it's own trunk so will it follow the dress code? :D

I've been following Cunard on CC since I booked my upcoming WV on the QV. I'm usually visit an other cruise line (RCL) on CC. I've seen a lot of differences in the type if posts between these two cruise lines.

Here on Cunard there are no daily discussions about chair hogs, smuggling booze, and how can I get away without tipping. I'm preferring the discussions here on Cunard. I'm hoping that I'll see the same differences when on my cruise starting Sunday.

It's taken me awhile to understand some of the Cunard's inside jokes but appreciate that you who travel on Cunard expect upper class service and treatment.

Whitemarsh, I think your posts are always interesting and look forward to see your views of any topics being discussed. I hope you enjoy your upcoming voyage and your trip meets your high standards.

Don

I realised today that we haven't had a "dress code" thread for ages. You know, the ones were someone comes on (usually their first post) and claims that they're transporting their elephant from Dubai to Pago Pago and that's the only reason why they're travelling Cunard. Following on from this (or any other sob story) they usually ask whether exceptions be made for them with the dress code. Someone will reply no and then someone else will announce that we're all a bunch of snobs etc etc and it all ends in tears.

Whilst I sometimes miss the "cut & thrust" (as one of my more sympathetic correspondents once put it) of a Cunard dress code debate it would appear that the recent change to the dress code has simplified the matter for - seemingly - everyone and perhaps that's why the dress code threads died a natural death.

Whether of not the lack of dress code threads is good thing or not, feedback from passengers on cruises after the changes were implemented has (to my memory) been pretty positive with most stating that the (new) dress code is being nearly uniformly complied with.

So all in all, it's all turned out pretty good. And I think that's something worth acknowledging. :)

No truer words were ever spoken on this topic! I'm always astounded how people seem to have the ability to take multiple suitcases containing their entire lives, but no room apparently for a tux.

The fact that people on Cunard ships value the cache of dressing up for dinner is one of the things that endears me to the line. I really enjoyed formal nights on QM2 during the 2012 Christmas cruise as everyone looked so smart and elegant. Unfortunately, the heavily discounted TA that followed was a little less smart and not so elegant.

After my recent cruise with Princess I hanker for a Cunard voyage - so I now have two planned in the coming 6 months. Although semi-formal no longer appears on the dress code, even smart casual on Cunard is superior to formal night on Princess, where many passengers wore jeans (some with holes), and an alarming number wore thongs (flip flops) and even singlets (wifebeaters)!

In my view, if you are going to dress like you're eating fast food in the comfort of your living room, you might as well save the fare and stay at home! There is something special about taking a cruise / voyage, especially on elegant ships like the three Cunard Queens. It really doesn't take much effort to dress the part and nobody can say they look terrible in formal wear.

Well, except the man I saw on the Jan 2013 TA crossing wearing an all red tux with plaid bowtie. That was just all kinds of wrong.

Thanks Don,

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your observation regarding the differences between the topics of conversation on the Cunard board and that of other cruise lines.

Cunard does (in my opinion) attract people who desire a particular style of service (waiters who refrain from singing & dancing) and ambiance on board etc etc. It pretty much has this particular market segment all to itself, which is why I have always thought that suggestions that Cunard should divulge itself of any differences that differentiate Cunard (dress code etc) to attract a wider market, would be, in the long run, a bad move as Cunard would be competing for the same market that RCCL and Carnival have sewn up - but with no point of difference.

Anecdotal evidence that the new dress code is being adhered to, with ties worn on informal nights for example, suggests to me that it's a good thing that Cunard has retained the selling points of its dress code and more formal service - there is, obviously, a market for this.

I hope I enjoy my upcoming voyage too. I'm pretty confident I will as I have enjoyed every other Cunard cruise I've taken. Britannia or the Grills - it's all been good in my experience.

But then perhaps that's a personal thing as, to quote William Blake, "Some are born to Sweet Delight, Some are born to Endless Night."

Have a fantastic time on your QV world voyage - you have a wonderful itinerary to look forward to. I look forward to reading your thoughts and feedback after the voyage.

I'm always astounded how people seem to have the ability to take multiple suitcases containing their entire lives, but no room apparently for a tux.

Same here, I never really quite believed that excuse, especially the variation of "We're travelling through Europe before we meet the ship, so we won't have any closed shoes with us as they're too heavy".

The solution was always pretty simple:

Step 1) Remove from your suitcase one of the fifteen tracksuits you've packed and one of the five pairs of sneakers.

Step 2) Replace with a tux, a white shirt and black shoes.

Step 3) Add a bow tie - yes it will fit, they are not heavy or extremely large.

The fact that people on Cunard ships value the cache of dressing up for dinner is one of the things that endears me to the line. I really enjoyed formal nights on QM2 during the 2012 Christmas cruise as everyone looked so smart and elegant.

I feel the same way, and plus it's fun. I can eat dinner in shorts and a t-shirt any old time. Holidays are supposed to take you out of your every day life and offer you different experiences. It would be so uninteresting to eat dinner on a cruise ship dressed in the same old shorts and t-shirts I wear at home.

After my recent cruise with Princess I hanker for a Cunard voyage - so I now have two planned in the coming 6 months. Although semi-formal no longer appears on the dress code, even smart casual on Cunard is superior to formal night on Princess, where many passengers wore jeans (some with holes), and an alarming number wore thongs (flip flops) and even singlets (wifebeaters)!

If Cunard play their cards right they'll have you as a repeat customer for life. I mean, where else are you going to go for the particular on board ambiance that Cunard offers? I'll tell you - nowhere.

In my view, if you are going to dress like you're eating fast food in the comfort of your living room, you might as well save the fare and stay at home! There is something special about taking a cruise / voyage, especially on elegant ships like the three Cunard Queens. It really doesn't take much effort to dress the part and nobody can say they look terrible in formal wear.

And it would be such a shame to despoil the beautiful surroundings of these marvellous interiors with thongs and singlets at night. Obviously, during the day, it's right that people wear whatever they like (within reason of course, private parts should be covered) but the evening meal is different. The Britannia Restaurant is such a magnificent space, it deserves the dress code that Cunard has in place.

Well, except the man I saw on the Jan 2013 TA crossing wearing an all red tux with plaid bowtie. That was just all kinds of wrong.

I don't mind the eccentrics, as long as it's in the spirt of things. They make it interesting. :)

Gosh! I didn't know we had to wear uniforms!

Didn't you get the memo?

If we do have to start wearing uniforms then my vote is for this inspiring look for the ladies. At least we'd all get a giggle.

Britannia to Queens Grill from left to right.

i-2mJfpX7-L.jpg

Whitemarsh you obviously missed a running thread about dressing up - so you started your own here !:)

Pretty well negates the comment about how good it is that we don't have one, doesn't it ?

Rob

I didn't say it's good that we don't have one. My point was that we haven't had any for a while and possibly that's due to the change in the dress code itself. A change which resulted in a lot of hand wringing on this board (myself included) but when the dust settled it turns out that everything really is okay.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that no thread on the Cunard board is officially a dress code thread until someone posts a "sob story" about why they can't adhere to the dress code and someone calls someone else a snob. I believe those are the rules. :)

Edited by Whitemarsh

I realised today that we haven't had a "dress code" thread for ages.

I was just thinking the same thing!

Since the latest change was announced I was firmly in the "this is a downgrading/dumbing down of the dress code" camp. However, having now taken my first cruise under the new regimen I have come to the conclusion that it could equally be seen as an upgrade to the dress code. Whereas the "jacket & tie" nights have been replaced with a minimum of "jacket required", so too have the first night/last night/evening in port casual nights.

The combined effect of these is that, in practice, very little has changed. I would estimate that on an informal evening approximately half the men were wearing either a suit or a jacket and tie (maybe a little under 50% on an in-port evening, maybe a little over 50% on an at-sea evening).

As always there are the one or two who stand out. On the first evening, in the theatre, I had just commented my surprise at the standard of dress (this would have been a casual/jacket-not-required night until recently) when in came a couple in T-shirts and what appeared to be worn and tatty jeans. They were followed by two men in dinner suits, one in a kilt and three ladies in evening dresses! It takes all sorts.

It's quite a while since I heard of someone being refused entry to the restaurant for non-compliance (on Cunard. I've seen it quite frequently on Fred Olsen) but while waiting for a taxi upon disembarcation the man behind us in the queue commented that he had been repeatedly turned away. (He wasn't really complaining, which surprised me as I was expecting a rant, just commenting that he found it surprising!) It turns out his daughter packed his case for him and he hadn't told her he would need a jacket/suit for dinner.

Regards, Colin.

Since the latest change was announced I was firmly in the "this is a downgrading/dumbing down of the dress code" camp. However, having now taken my first cruise under the new regimen I have come to the conclusion that it could equally be seen as an upgrade to the dress code. Whereas the "jacket & tie" nights have been replaced with a minimum of "jacket required", so too have the first night/last night/evening in port casual nights.

The combined effect of these is that, in practice, very little has changed. I would estimate that on an informal evening approximately half the men were wearing either a suit or a jacket and tie (maybe a little under 50% on an in-port evening, maybe a little over 50% on an at-sea evening).

I'm really keen to see for myself what the changes have wrought. These will be the first world voyage since the new dress code. I haven't considered that the changes might have in fact been an improvement, I'd just been thankful that standards hadn't dropped off the cliff. That's a good way of looking at it.

As I mentioned before, I too was in the "the sky is falling" camp regarding the dress code changes, funny how such a big topic not six months ago has become less important that the size of the complimentary chocolates left on the beds (I mention those because they're trending right now as an issue on here).

As always there are the one or two who stand out. On the first evening, in the theatre, I had just commented my surprise at the standard of dress (this would have been a casual/jacket-not-required night until recently) when in came a couple in T-shirts and what appeared to be worn and tatty jeans. They were followed by two men in dinner suits, one in a kilt and three ladies in evening dresses! It takes all sorts.

Were they in their mid to late fifties, both reasonably fit and with brown hair? A couple of years ago a couple would dress for dinner in the PG but then change into jeans and sneakers for dancing in the Queens Room and or attending the Royal Court Theatre. Then they'd go and smoke cigars.

I remember them because the woman always looked very smart in the PG, which was such a contrast to the remainder of the evening. Seems such an effort to dress for dinner and then go back to your cabin to scrub off the make up and get into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

It's quite a while since I heard of someone being refused entry to the restaurant for non-compliance (on Cunard. I've seen it quite frequently on Fred Olsen) but while waiting for a taxi upon disembarcation the man behind us in the queue commented that he had been repeatedly turned away. (He wasn't really complaining, which surprised me as I was expecting a rant, just commenting that he found it surprising!) It turns out his daughter packed his case for him and he hadn't told her he would need a jacket/suit for dinner.

Regards, Colin.

It's good to hear that Cunard is refusing entry to the dining rooms to non-compliant guests, but I'm yet to hear of anyone being asked to leave a public area (outside of the main dining rooms) that isn't adhering to the dress code on formal nights, despite what the FAQ says. I don't suppose they ever will, the dining rooms are obviously their chosen front line.

The combined effect of these is that, in practice, very little has changed.

It's quite a while since I heard of someone being refused entry to the restaurant for non-compliance (on Cunard. I've seen it quite frequently on Fred Olsen)

Yes, very little has changed, almost nothing really. Still the board was getting a bit boring so perhaps it was time for a dress code thread (or not)

It's interesting your comment about Fred Olsen (or FO as I tend to think of that line) they and Saga are much keener to police dress code than Cunard, no one would get far into the MD on either in flip flops as I have seen happen on Cunard.

David.

Yes, very little has changed, almost nothing really. Still the board was getting a bit boring so perhaps it was time for a dress code thread (or not)

It's interesting your comment about Fred Olsen (or FO as I tend to think of that line) they and Saga are much keener to police dress code than Cunard, no one would get far into the MD on either in flip flops as I have seen happen on Cunard.

David.

Saga is staffed by many former employees of Cunard. That's probably why they adhere to tradition better than Cunard...No Carnivalization!

I will be enjoying my first Curnard cruise in a few weeks and can not wait. It has been on my bucket list since I started cruising and the reason is because of the dress code. I can not understand how people book with curnard and then complain due to the fact they can not wear tatty jeans etc in the dining room.

I have been more concerned with my packing that I have packed the correct clothes for each night as I do not want to offend anyone...especially Whitemarsh(lol) as they will be on the same cruise as me!. I am so looking forward to dressing up as I never really dress to the extent that I will be on the cruise. I even went out and purchased some gowns for formal nights as I NEVER wear dresses these days...lol

I so look forward to meeting whitemarsh and I also look forward to sitting back and people watching what everyone is wearing.

In short....I CAN NOT WAIT...:D

Chez

Last week shortly into first seating on a formal night a family in what I'll call beachwear used Britannia as a passageway from Stairway D to the main part of Deck 2. It was strongly hoping they weren't intending to go to a table. but it does demonstrate that to my observation no one watches the Stairway D entrances to Britannia for dress adherence.

David.

Could it be that there is a greater need to police it elsewhere?

Apart from the one or two who, apparently deliberately, flout the dress code on Cunard it is almost universaly followed (at least in spirit, if not to the letter). On several FO cruises, the numbers who have to be reminded at the restaurant entrance suggests that it needs to be done.

Also, those who are stopped at the restaurant entrance (on FO) don't seem to find it a problem or make an issue of it. In spite of the ships being smaller, carrrying fewer passengers and (I'm convinced) more people being stopped at the restaurant door you won't find post after post about the "fashion police" on the FO board.

At this point I have to plead "mia culpa." Returning from a morning tour, we headed straight into the restaurant for lunch only to be stopped. It was pointed out that my sleeveless T-shirt wasn't acceptible. I agreed. Any thought of my attire simply hadn't entered my head. It wasn't a problem, a quick trip to the cabin and a change of shirt was all it took.

Regards, Colin.

Some P&O passengers have the same attitude. There was a recent post (on another forum) from someone who either had not done his homework or preferred to ignore it. He not only complained about four formal nights and four nights where a jacket was required, but moaned that almost all the passengers were British, most were older than he is, and the food and entertainment was geared to British tastes.

Perhaps because there are too many ill-behaved Americans on Cunard..

:confused:

What nonsense! Why would ill-behaved Americans leave the country at all when their behavior is so well rewarded right here at home?

Last week shortly into first seating on a formal night a family in what I'll call beachwear used Britannia as a passageway from Stairway D to the main part of Deck 2. It was strongly hoping they weren't intending to go to a table. but it does demonstrate that to my observation no one watches the Stairway D entrances to Britannia for dress adherence.

I once saw a lady on formal night at 9pm

On Qm2 Southampton to NY walking in the Grand Lobby

In her Teri cloth robe and flip flops:D

Possibly because they didn't feel the need to police the entrance thinking that no one would be so rude and crude to use a formal diningroom as a walk thru.....especially in beach attire. Someone should have nabbed that family because logically, if they are capable of that.....I wouldn't trust them to keep their grubby fingers out of the buffet food either. :p

What nonsense! Why would ill-behaved Americans leave the country at all when their behavior is so well rewarded right here at home?

Gentlemen, (assuming that you are both gentlemen) your comments indicate that you have a negative regard for your fellow Americans. Perhaps you will find a more acceptable group from a different country - hopefully sooner rather than later.

To bash passengers from any country is unacceptable.

Gentlemen, (assuming that you are both gentlemen) your comments indicate that you have a negative regard for your fellow Americans. Perhaps you will find a more acceptable group from a different country - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Yes ! Yes ! And these people give a bad name to Cunard.

The Qm2 is an ocean liner, a cruise ship that all of us Pay with

Our hard earned money and then to have fellow

Bigots on board .

Thank you again Salacia for your unbiased , truthful

And fair comments. I agree:)

Salacia

We have the same situation here in Australia - Australians who think that they are superior in some way to their fellows.

I am an Anglophile -- I just love ENGLAND (please note that I did not say Wales or Ireland or Scotland :) ) -- I love the country areas (although I can leave the cities) -- but sometimes it is just a bit of a shame about some of the English. I know that we shouldn't stereotype -- but stereotypes do have some basis in reality else how would they have come into being. Mrs Bucket does come to mind when sailing on P&O UK ships :(

But I do like Americans. Those that I have met over my years (probably mostly in the Military) are generous and wear their hearts on their sleeves!! I am sure there are others that I would not like -- but I haven't really come across too many. A land of great contradictions though -- home of possibly the World's largest pornographic industry -- but also the home of born again (and again and again) Christians :) But they are still my favourite "race" :) .. I just wish that they would use the Queen's English.

Barry

When I have come across Australians or Americans who like to moan/whine about the British (or nationals from other countries) I find it entertaining to ask which country their ancestors hailed from and then watch their faces as they sheepishly reply. I would think there are bigots (or ignorant people)amongst all nationalities but as I haven't met them all I could not say for sure. As Salacia says, it is not on to bash passengers from other countries. It certainly isn't clever either.

When I have come across Australians or Americans who like to moan/whine about the British (or nationals from other countries) I find it entertaining to ask which country their ancestors hailed from and then watch their faces as they sheepishly reply. I would think there are bigots (or ignorant people)amongst all nationalities but as I haven't met them all I could not say for sure. As Salacia says, it is not on to bash passengers from other countries. It certainly isn't clever either.

In my travels, I have found that people tend to complain more about their own countrymen than about people of foreign nationalities.