Steakhouse on formal night

AmberH1884

Hello! I booked the steakhouse on our first formal night for our upcoming cruise on the Freedom (Aug 3rd) because my husband and I are celebrating our anniversary that day. We were both planning on wearing our formal attire, but now I am confused after reading some posts here. Do people go to the steakhouse on formal night to avoid dressing up? I don't want to be the only people there who dressed up and stick out like a sore thumb, lol. Thanks in advance for your input :)

You have to dress up for the steakhouse. In May we went on our first formal night as it was our annivesary. We even joked with our servers that we would not be there and told them where we were going and why. (But we always try and talk with our servers)

The official dress code for all nights in the steakhouse is "cruise elegant". Since it's the same as the MDRs on "formal" night, you'd have to dress up a little wherever you go.

In my limited steakhouse experience, you're likely to stick out not because of your dress but because the room is so small.

Yeah you can't be quite as casual as in the MDR when dining inthe steak house. I think their dress code is posted outside the entrance. At least it was on one of our cruises. Cant remember which ship. The whole atmosphere is elegant in there. Its NOT like going to a Lone Star Steakhouse back in the states. Its a pretty nice place. Your formal wear will actually probably be appreciated by the wait staff. Its not just "having dinner". Its a dining experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I heard about the free bottle of wine on the second night as well. That is part of the reason we booked it that night! Luckily, that is our first full sea day too so it worked out!

Edited by AmberH1884

The official dress code for all nights in the steakhouse is "cruise elegant". Since it's the same as the MDRs on "formal" night, you'd have to dress up a little wherever you go.

In my limited steakhouse experience, you're likely to stick out not because of your dress but because the room is so small.

Yeah you can't be quite as casual as in the MDR when dining inthe steak house. I think their dress code is posted outside the entrance. At least it was on one of our cruises. Cant remember which ship. The whole atmosphere is elegant in there. Its NOT like going to a Lone Star Steakhouse back in the states. Its a pretty nice place. Your formal wear will actually probably be appreciated by the wait staff. Its not just "having dinner". Its a dining experience.

Sorry, cruise elegant is not on all nights. When we booked the steakhouse, the hostess made a point to let me know that blue jeans were acceptable. Since our friend had t-shirts made special for our party of 6, I asked if t-shirts were allowed and she said yes.

I have heard that blue jeans were not allowed on elegant nights though. I believe on elegant nights that the dress code is also cruise elegant in the steakhouse.

After 54 cruises, elegant night is not on our agenda. We always good the steakhouse on the first formal night. There is a mixture of dress and you will certainly be fine in elegant attire.

We dress the same as other nights.....cargo and nice blouse for me and cargo and collared shirt for hubby.

Shirley

We have been to the Steak House many times on different ships and the only nights that are "cruise elegant" are the two nights that are "cruise elegant" in the MDR. The dress code is the same as the MDR nightly with the exception of shorts. Shorts are not allowed any night in the Steak House.

OP on the "formal" night, which is now called "cruise elegant" night, you will see some people really dressed up, but in our experience, you will more likely see men in dress pants and a collared shirt such as a dress or golf shirt and most times no ties. Women usually wear capris or slacks with a nice blouse/top or a summery dress.

Feel free to dress up if you wish as you will be following the dress code of the evening.

We thought the food was excellent in the MDR so what I'm not understanding is why anyone would pay $35.00 more a person to eat in the steakhouse. Why?

For the cheesecake, of course!

Seriously though, it's a nicer atmosphere. I enjoy the MDR food too. It's just something special that we treat ourselves to.

Sorry, cruise elegant is not on all nights. When we booked the steakhouse, the hostess made a point to let me know that blue jeans were acceptable. Since our friend had t-shirts made special for our party of 6, I asked if t-shirts were allowed and she said yes.

I have heard that blue jeans were not allowed on elegant nights though. I believe on elegant nights that the dress code is also cruise elegant in the steakhouse.

That's incorrect. The dress code for the steakhouse still STATES it's Carnivals version of cruise elegant. Every night. That's a fact.

We thought the food was excellent in the MDR so what I'm not understanding is why anyone would pay $35.00 more a person to eat in the steakhouse. Why?

Personally, I wouldn't go elegant night. You miss out on unlimited lobster tails.

That's incorrect. The dress code for the steakhouse still STATES it's Carnivals version of cruise elegant. Every night. That's a fact.

The fact is that jeans are acceptable on most evenings.

"*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience."

https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Controls/SteakhouseRequest

We pay extra to go to the Steak House for a couple of reasons. Firstly, sorry to disagree with you but, we don't feel the food in the MDR is that great. I am not saying the MDR food is bad, but the quality of food is far better in the Steak House. There is no comparison between the Lobster Bisque served in the MDR and that served in the Steak House. There is absolutely no comparison between the steak in the MDR and that in the Steak House. The MDR doesn't serve wasabi mashed potatoes. The crab cake in the MDR is not the same as the Steak House.

I haven't seen lamb chops on the MDR menu in ages. I have never been served Chilean Sea Bass in the MDR.

Secondly, the Steak House is a romantic dinner with the wait staff serving only your table and perhaps another. Nothing like the MDR waiters serving large numbers of people at a time.

Thirdly, it is quiet and relaxing. It's really more dining than eating as it is in the MDR. The MDR is noisy. So, in summary, it is definitely worth the extra money, at least to us.

I too enjoy the food in the MDR very much, but the presentation, preparation, and atmosphere in the steak house in my mind make it worth the extra fee.

On Carnival ships it is a much more relaxed venue allowing for a special celebration or just a much more intimate dinner for two.

The fact is that jeans are acceptable on most evenings.

"*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience."

https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Controls/SteakhouseRequest

Thanks for posting that link. I knew I wasn't imagining things. So it's "cruise elegant" with the exception of jeans being allowed. That means T-shirts should be a no-go. I'm not surprised that they're allowed on a YMMV basis, though.

Because, in addition to the reasons listed by others (better atmosphere, etc.), not all of us think the food in the MDR is excellent.;)

For the quiet and relaxed atmosphere. For the more personalized service. For the outstanding menu. For the overral fine dining experience you do not get in the MDR. All of this is certainly worth the $35.

Now "why" would someone not be able to understand this. I am glad I understand it. I have my steakhouse reservation booked for my upcoming Splendor sailing. I look forward to it and I may also book a second steakhouse reservation once I am on board.

You should give it a try.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

Taken straight from the carnival website. Every night is NOT technically cruise elegant at the steakhouse since jeans are, in fact, allowed. "Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to the steakhouse staff' date=' whatever the dress code is in the MDR for the evening also applies to the steakhouse. I asked directly, "Are jeans allowed"? The answer was "Yes, jeans are allowed".[/quote']

The dress code is exactly as you posted meaning that whatever the code is for the MDR that night, it is the same for the Steak House. I did email the support people as the posting on the Carnival website makes no sense and was told that when the site was updated to put in the part about jeans being allowed, a part of the post was left off. That doesn't surprise me as Carnival's website many times leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, if you ask in the Steak House what the dress code is, they will tell you what Cruisin"Mama posted. Shorts are NOT allowed on a casual night though or any night.