Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Scuba and Snorkeling
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM
rachaelc rachaelc is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Default Is snorkeling better in Grand Turk or St.Thomas

We're booking our shore excursions and don't know where to snorkel! Which place has better snorkeling!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Colorado Kat Colorado Kat is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 6,841
Default

I prefer the snorkeling in Grand Turk. The reef sees less traffic and is healthier.

I would book a snorkel tour, to get you out to the wall. I love Crystal Seas Adventures. Ask for Daniel,

Two years ago, in April, a whale shark showed up and played with us for 10 minutes. He stayed shallow, and kept circling back to us. That, of course is very rare, but the best scuba-dive of my life.

Google Crystal Seas, and see some of their photos.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
rachaelc rachaelc is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kat View Post
I prefer the snorkeling in Grand Turk. The reef sees less traffic and is healthier.

I would book a snorkel tour, to get you out to the wall. I love Crystal Seas Adventures. Ask for Daniel,

Two years ago, in April, a whale shark showed up and played with us for 10 minutes. He stayed shallow, and kept circling back to us. That, of course is very rare, but the best scuba-dive of my life.

Google Crystal Seas, and see some of their photos.
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Flatlander204's Avatar
Flatlander204 Flatlander204 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Any where my heads rests
Posts: 195
Default

I love Grand Turk for Snorkeling. we did a snorkel excursion thru Carnival to the wall.. we had an open bar and snacks on the way back.
We were never rushed..The guides took the novice snorkelers off to the side and spent some extra time with them getting therm used to breathing thru the equipment and then more experienced ones went with another guide.
Our guide took a twinkie for bait and went down the wall ( 7000 ft deep) and baited the fish until he got them all up to the top of the ridge .. great photo opportunity.. would highly recommended the deluxe sail and snorkel on the Carnival website and would personally do it again in a heart beat. Happy Cruising!!!
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Captain Carnival's Avatar
Captain Carnival Captain Carnival is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NCC-1701
Posts: 2,279
Default

Just weighing in.....Having snorkeled both I would say that they are somewhat alike (as reefs go) and would say you should have a great experience doing either one; or can you do both?
__________________
Captain Carnival - I Am Carnival!!!



My Cruises: Past-Present-Future
Carnival Vista: 2016 (Return To The Mediterranean)
Carnival Sunshine: May, 2015
UP NEXT: Carnival Miracle: September, 2014 (Official Alaska Retirement Cruise)
Carnival Paradise II: April, 2014
Carnival Ecstasy: November, 2013
Carnival Legend III: May, 2013 30th Anniversary Review --->Captain Carnival’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums
Carnival Paradise I: November, 2012
Carnival Dream: July, 2012
Carnival Inspiration IV: November, 2011
Carnival Valor: July, 2011
Carnival Fascination: March, 2011
Carnival Inspiration III: November, 2010
Carnival Legend II: July, 2010
Carnival Legend I: October, 2009
Carnival Triumph: July, 2009
Carnival Sensation: May, 2009
Carnival Inspiration II: November, 2008
Carnival Inspiration I: May, 2008

Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
camarowesley's Avatar
camarowesley camarowesley is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: alabama
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelc View Post
We're booking our shore excursions and don't know where to snorkel! Which place has better snorkeling!
Grand Turk has awesome snorkeling by boat if you go out to the wall. Be sure to take a box of cereal from the ship to attract the fish.
Sapphire beach in St. Thomas has good snorkeling from the beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there, it has restrooms and around lunch someone from the marina comes around and takes lunch orders. It has gotten a little run down lately, but is safe, and not crowded. One of my favorite sites to snorkel from the beach.
__________________
CARNIVAL PLATINUM
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Stevesan Stevesan is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowesley View Post
Grand Turk has awesome snorkeling by boat if you go out to the wall. Be sure to take a box of cereal from the ship to attract the fish.
Sapphire beach in St. Thomas has good snorkeling from the beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there, it has restrooms and around lunch someone from the marina comes around and takes lunch orders. It has gotten a little run down lately, but is safe, and not crowded. One of my favorite sites to snorkel from the beach.
Nearly every dive shop stocks fish food.
__________________
1957 USS General A.E. Anderson Tokyo to San Francisco
1999 Norwegian Sea W. Caribbean
1999 Rotterdam VI Europe
2000 Mercury W. Caribbean
2000 Volendam S. Caribbean
2001 Viking Star Danube River
2001 Veendam E. Caribbean
2002 Veendam B2B Alaska
2003 Zuiderdam B2B W/E Caribbean
2004 Maasdam E. Caribbean
2005 Grand Princess W. Caribbean,
2005 RVI Europe
2005 Veendam S. Caribbean
2006 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2007 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2008 Crown Princess S. Caribbean
2008 Sea Princess Canada/New England
2009 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2009 Crown Princess British Isles
2010 Grand Princess S. Caribbean
2010 Carnival Conquest W. Caribbean
2010 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2011 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2011 Emerald Princess B2B E/S Caribbean
2012 Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
2013 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean January 11
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean April 19

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.