Avoiding Canadian passport name change

NorthernOntario

I got married a few months back. Since then , I have changed my name on my drivers license and health card.

When I booked our cruise, I used my maiden name. My passport still has my maiden name.

Will I be alright to leave them as is with my maiden name (my passport does not expire till 2017) or should I have my name changed on my passport? This would also involve changing the name on the booking as well?

I think I am most concerned about bringing ID off the ship in different ports in the Caribbean. It would mean bringing my passport or birth certificate.

Any input would be great! THank you

Hi

I am also canadian and was married a few years ago while on a cruise in St Sthomas USVI. My passport and my booking reservation were in my maiden name.I did not get around to changing my passport until it expired a year later but had changed everything else. We did cruise again during that period and I had a different name on my picture id than on my sail card. They tend to go by pictures not names. You wont have a problem. Just take you sail card and picture ID eg drivers liscence with you.

You wont have a problem. I got married on a cruise and then took a cruise the following year with my passport and booking in my maiden name. They tend to go my pictures on your picture ID and the picture on your sail card. You wont have a problem

To be safe I'd bring along picture ID showing your maiden name as well. I'd also bring along a copy of documentation showing you recently got married in case anyone questions the descrepancy between your passport and other ID.

When you get back it would definitely be a good idea to update your passport.

Bring your marriage certificate. We were married in BC, and had the option of getting a wallet-sized marriage certificate in addition to the large one, and that was extremely useful during the transition for maiden to married name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

I have been married 32 years and have always had my maiden name on my passport...never my married name. Your maiden name is more legal than your married name.

You will not have a problem.:)

My married daughter cruised with me a couple of weeks ago. She had a passport in her maiden name. We booked her flights and cruise with her maiden name. She used her passport for her ID, except in Key West. There she used an expired DL that had her maiden name on it. It was hardly glanced at. :rolleyes:

My married daughter cruised with me a couple of weeks ago. She had a passport in her maiden name. We booked her flights and cruise with her maiden name. She used her passport for her ID, except in Key West. There she used an expired DL that had her maiden name on it. It was hardly glanced at. :rolleyes:

I use an expired DL for ID on almost all of our cruise port stops so if it's lost it isn't a big deal for me. Like you mention it is not really checked by port security very intensively. As long as the picture is yours and the name matches the one on your cruise card you good to go into the cruise docking area. ;)

I use an expired DL for ID on almost all of our cruise port stops so if it's lost it isn't a big deal for me. Like you mention it is not really checked by port security very intensively. As long as the picture is yours and the name matches the one on your cruise card you good to go into the cruise docking area. ;)

Good idea. Hopefully I didn't toss my old DL...:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

I also recently got married but booked in my maiden name since that is what's on my passport. My married name is on my DL. They took my DL with my maiden name when I had to updated, so will a photocopy of the passport be ok to use to as id to get back on the ship from port? I'd rather not take my passport out of the safe. Thanks in advance!

I don't think that a copy will do. Does your current DL have your maiden name on it as a middle name? My daughters did not, and why she use an expired DL. I also used an old DL for ID.

No it doesn't. The only thing I have with my maiden name is my passport.

I got married in December. I've not updated my passport. I'm flying and cruising in May 2014, all under my maiden name. If your ID matches your booking, you're pretty much good to go. My passport is good through 2019 so I intend to leave it as is until then. I will continue to book under my maiden name.

Just always make sure your bookings match your ID that you're showing, esp for flights.

I got married in December. I've not updated my passport. I'm flying and cruising in May 2014, all under my maiden name. If your ID matches your booking, you're pretty much good to go. My passport is good through 2019 so I intend to leave it as is until then. I will continue to book under my maiden name.

Just always make sure your bookings match your ID that you're showing, esp for flights.

That's the plan. My passport doesn't expire till 2017 and I am not willing to pay the extra now or to take the chance on renewing it this late. I think my main concern was the part where we should not bring our passport to shore with us but to make sure we have identification. With that, and not having the proper name on my ID that matches my passport, it made me nervous. I will carry my marriage certificate as well (although we don't get a nice wallet size one like BC..unfortunately) and maybe a new health card. I will be loaded with ID! I am not one to take chances

They took my DL with my maiden name when I had to updated, so will a photocopy of the passport be ok to use to as id to get back on the ship from port? I'd rather not take my passport out of the safe.
A photocopy of the passport is the ideal thing to use at ports where they ask for a photo ID.

That is what we always use, (except at the very few ports where we are required to take the actual passports with us).

We do not take a DL off the ship unless it is a port where we will need it for driving.

A lost or stolen photocopy is quick and easy to replace, unlike a lost or stolen DL or passport.

As others have stated, always book your cruise or airline flight in the same name that is on your passport.

That way you avoid any questions or hassles and no explanation or other supporting document is needed.

It doesn't matter if it is your maiden name or married name, or even a name from three marriages ago ;), just so that it is the same name both places.

That's the plan. My passport doesn't expire till 2017 and I am not willing to pay the extra now or to take the chance on renewing it this late. I think my main concern was the part where we should not bring our passport to shore with us but to make sure we have identification. With that, and not having the proper name on my ID that matches my passport, it made me nervous. I will carry my marriage certificate as well (although we don't get a nice wallet size one like BC..unfortunately) and maybe a new health card. I will be loaded with ID! I am not one to take chances

I have never once had my photo ID asked for when getting back on the ship. So I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they did ask, they would see that my Quebec drivers license is in my maiden name and doesn't match my cruise card. It is booked with my married name to match my Canadian passport issued in my married name. I did sign my license with both names.

In Quebec we are not allowed to change our names when married on our drivers licenses or health cards. We are the only place in North America with this silly law. It should be freedom of choice.

I have never once had my photo ID asked for when getting back on the ship. So I wouldn't worry if I were you. If they did ask, they would see that my Quebec drivers license is in my maiden name and doesn't match my cruise card. It is booked with my married name to match my Canadian passport issued in my married name. I did sign my license with both names.

In Quebec we are not allowed to change our names when married on our drivers licenses or health cards. We are the only place in North America with this silly law. It should be freedom of choice.

wow...I have never heard of that. It is silly!

A photocopy of the passport is the ideal thing to use at ports where they ask for a photo ID.

That is what we always use, (except at the very few ports where we are required to take the actual passports with us).

We do not take a DL off the ship unless it is a port where we will need it for driving.

A lost or stolen photocopy is quick and easy to replace, unlike a lost or stolen DL or passport.

As others have stated, always book your cruise or airline flight in the same name that is on your passport.

That way you avoid any questions or hassles and no explanation or other supporting document is needed.

It doesn't matter if it is your maiden name or married name, or even a name from three marriages ago ;), just so that it is the same name both places.

I think I planned on bringing ID because I happen to be glancing at one of the dailies someone posted off the Summit, and it said on it to make sure you bring photo ID. I will stick to the photo copies.

Thanks!