Too much for one day in Ketchikan?

peety3

We'll be aboard the Grand Princess in July, with a scheduled day in Ketchikan from 6:30am to 4:00pm. I'm considering an excursion double-header:

KTN-800 Neets Bay Bear Cruise from 6:45 to 11:45*

-and-

KTN-630 Coastal Wildlife Cruise from 12:15* to 3:30pm

* I've already confirmed that both of these excursions are aboard the same boat, same operator, but different harbors. The operator has offered to allow me to simply remain aboard the boat as it finishes one excursion, transits to the other harbor, and then does the second excursion.

My goal is lots of photography, but I'm questioning if this is a worthwhile combo, or an endurance overload only to be followed by an aggressive day in Tracy Arm & Juneau, then a moderate day in Skagway.

Thoughts?

Seems to me to be a lot of time aboard a little boat. My guess is that they call the tours different things but that much of the trip and scenery will be much the same. Of course when you photograph wildlife it really is all a gamble.

In your place I would change methods of transport - perhaps even a kayak trip for the afternoon instead?

Seems to me to be a lot of time aboard a little boat. My guess is that they call the tours different things but that much of the trip and scenery will be much the same. Of course when you photograph wildlife it really is all a gamble.

In your place I would change methods of transport - perhaps even a kayak trip for the afternoon instead?

I think you will have a lot of the same wildlife sighting opportunities - and a whole lot of time on the boat. My vote would be to keep Neet's Bay (or change to a flight-based version of the tour - am departure?) and spend the afternoon enjoying Ketchikan (one of our favorite ports).

The flight to Neet's Bay has some spectacular scenery that is best enjoyed from the air - plus you might get more time to enjoy the bears (saw 2 dozen there when I went).

Just my humble opinion.

Seems to me to be a lot of time aboard a little boat. My guess is that they call the tours different things but that much of the trip and scenery will be much the same.

The operator has confirmed that the two tours cover different areas. The first one obviously covers Neets Bay, while the second one goes to Carroll Inlet - hence the reason they relocate the boat for the second tour.

I think you will have a lot of the same wildlife sighting opportunities - and a whole lot of time on the boat. My vote would be to keep Neet's Bay (or change to a flight-based version of the tour - am departure?) and spend the afternoon enjoying Ketchikan (one of our favorite ports).

The flight to Neet's Bay has some spectacular scenery that is best enjoyed from the air - plus you might get more time to enjoy the bears (saw 2 dozen there when I went).

I'm fascinated by aviation, and I'd do everything I could on a helicopter, but photography is a passion for me. One of the by-products of that passion is a desire for great images, and in the quest for that comes good/expensive/big lenses. I'm planning to rent 1, possibly 2, lenses that are 15" long, 6" diameter at one end, and about 8.5 pounds. Even one of those is a no-go inside a helicopter or plane. I could probably buy a second seat for my gear, but I'd still have a hard time using them inside, and I'd have more risk getting in/out of the plane/helicopter.

I do like your thought of skipping the second tour. Perhaps I'll cancel it now and bring cash aboard so I have the option to "extend" if I'm feeling ambitious.

The operator has confirmed that the two tours cover different areas. The first one obviously covers Neets Bay, while the second one goes to Carroll Inlet - hence the reason they relocate the boat for the second tour.

I'm fascinated by aviation, and I'd do everything I could on a helicopter, but photography is a passion for me. One of the by-products of that passion is a desire for great images, and in the quest for that comes good/expensive/big lenses. I'm planning to rent 1, possibly 2, lenses that are 15" long, 6" diameter at one end, and about 8.5 pounds. Even one of those is a no-go inside a helicopter or plane. I could probably buy a second seat for my gear, but I'd still have a hard time using them inside, and I'd have more risk getting in/out of the plane/helicopter.

I do like your thought of skipping the second tour. Perhaps I'll cancel it now and bring cash aboard so I have the option to "extend" if I'm feeling ambitious.

We will be taking our 4th Alaska cruise out of your fair city in July. Only 3 ports - Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Prince Rupert, BC. In the latter 2, we will be taking bear tours. My DGF shoots a Canon D60 and carries a back-up Rebel + extra lenses. I used to do the same - either 2 film cameras (Pentax) or film and video. You can tell I was pretty old school.

I am opting for a simpler approach and am trying to decide between a mega-zoom like a Nikon P600 or one of the new compact DSLR systems. She will get some absolutely spectacular shots because she loves doing it, but I found I could either photograph the trip or really look and enjoy it. The new camera choice will be my compromise.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

We'll be aboard the Grand Princess in July, with a scheduled day in Ketchikan from 6:30am to 4:00pm. I'm considering an excursion double-header:

KTN-800 Neets Bay Bear Cruise from 6:45 to 11:45*

-and-

KTN-630 Coastal Wildlife Cruise from 12:15* to 3:30pm

* I've already confirmed that both of these excursions are aboard the same boat, same operator, but different harbors. The operator has offered to allow me to simply remain aboard the boat as it finishes one excursion, transits to the other harbor, and then does the second excursion.

My goal is lots of photography, but I'm questioning if this is a worthwhile combo, or an endurance overload only to be followed by an aggressive day in Tracy Arm & Juneau, then a moderate day in Skagway.

Thoughts?

Sorry neither of these tours are what I consider "good" wildlife tours. Especially if you are thinking of photographing bears. Way down the scale in success. For Neets you need a fly in, not a boat, which is not going to get anywhere near the action. The bears feed on the RIVER, starting at the hatchery. A boat tour, does NOT have any access except from a long distance at the end of the river, where the bears are NOT concentrated at.

As for a "wildlife" cruise, this isn't a big Coastal wildlife area. Eagles are everywhere, other wildlife is not consistent for concentrated areas, the boat will be just taking chances on what they see, which on average won't be a lot.

IF you truly want to photograph bears, at a FAR superior area, then get yourself to Anan. Only advice. Anan is a big area for professional photographers, get yourself organized and you should have no issue hauling your equipment. Float planes do not have the restrictions of helicopters.

IF you truly want to photograph bears, at a FAR superior area, then get yourself to Anan. Only advice. Anan is a big area for professional photographers, get yourself organized and you should have no issue hauling your equipment. Float planes do not have the restrictions of helicopters.

I am organized, thanks for asking. Michelle at Island Wings indicated that not only does she not have any permits to fly into Anan that day, none of the Ketchikan operators do. So...I'm stuck with second best, at best...bobbing around on a little boat.

I am organized, thanks for asking. Michelle at Island Wings indicated that not only does she not have any permits to fly into Anan that day, none of the Ketchikan operators do. So...I'm stuck with second best, at best...bobbing around on a little boat.

Then fly to Neets. As I mentioned, the Neets boat tour is a very poor choice. With disappointing sighting stats.

Hi

what happens if its raining or fog? Ketchikan Most of the time has fog and rain and planes are grounded. Also if sale time is 4 pm you are to be on board at 3:30. If you did not book this on the cruise lines the ship will sail without you.

Mary

You will already be spending a lot of time on the water. Ketchikan is such a pretty town you will miss it if you stick with your plan. Also I would never take a tour that is supposed to return at 3:30 with a ship departure at 4. You will end up getting a great picture of the ship sailing away.

I love photography and spend a lot of time on the ship outside on deck. The Lynn Canal leaving Skagway is really beautiful but most people are at dinner and miss it. DH and I just have a quick bite in the buffet and are out on deck enjoying the beautiful scenery.