Book online or call HAL?

Stpatsirish

We usually find our own deals too. We typically book inside the final payment window.

But on more than one occasion our TA has drawn our attention to an offer that we were not aware of. It was not listed on any site that we use. In one case we were able to switch dates by one sailing, join some group, and get a cabin upgrade, increased OBC, and a complementary tour. Never did meet or see anyone who belonged to the group.

On another, we switched ship/cruise line and saved ourselves a few hundred dollars each for the same itinerary, similar ship. Cannot see a HAL, a Celebrity, or a Princess rep giving us this option!

I could care less how anyone else books a cruise. It is completely meaningless to me. Not sure why anyone else would care about how another person books a cruise either. Nor do I really comprehend the controlling your reservation thing. We have complete control over our reservation.

Edited by iancal

After my last cruise on Oasis, wife and I decided to cancel our cruises in March 16 (Royal) and Dec 16 (Celebrity). Both cruises were booked with the same TA. Simple call, cancelled both cruises and booked two replacement cruises on Holland and Princess. One phone call, one agent. Done in 10 minutes. Had new invoices in 30 minutes. If I had been dealing with PCC, I would have had to make four phone calls and do business with four different people. And, yes, my TA gave me at least a 10% discount on these cruises. And, no, there were no cancellation fees. And, yes, the charges on my credit card were made by the cruise lines, not the TA.

I'm not at all concerned with "maintaining control of my reservation". Exactly what can one do when dealing with a PCC that one cannot do dealing with a TA? Well, you can't change your dining preferences. You can't cancel a reservation. You can't change your room. You can't change your booking category. How often does one do that? It would seem that changes like that can easily wait until Monday morning.

It sounds like a ta really works well for you but why the hard sell for those that are not interested? I never see anyone insisting that people use PCC's. There are good sides to both if you can manage to find a good ta, pita if you can't. You may not do anything you listed but it doesn't mean others don't.

Edited by cruz chic

And that's what it should come down to - service. I find those that use TAs will not stop pushing their agenda. If that works for you that's great. The TAs I have used have booked me the wrong cruise then lied about it and take forever to get back to me. That's not service. I can easily do research for myself on cruises. I don't need second party assistance to find deals. Let's not forget the subject of this thread is -should I book online or call Hal- not should I use a ta.

Actually, OP asked about getting "extra perks". It would seem appropriate to inform OP that the "extra perks" were only available from a TA.

The purpose of Cruise Critic is the sharing of information on cruises. That includes how to save money and get better deals. I like to share my experience with TA because I'm so grateful with those posters here on cruise critic that took the time to explain to me the benefits of doing so. It's my way of paying others back.

There always are two sides to a coin and you also provide a valuable service sharing your experience with incompetent TA and poor service. I would do the same but my TA is very competent and always provides wonderful service.

Actually, OP asked about getting "extra perks". It would seem appropriate to inform OP that the "extra perks" were only available from a TA.

The purpose of Cruise Critic is the sharing of information on cruises. That includes how to save money and get better deals. I like to share my experience with TA because I'm so grateful with those posters here on cruise critic that took the time to explain to me the benefits of doing so. It's my way of paying others back.

There always are two sides to a coin and you also provide a valuable service sharing your experience with incompetent TA and poor service. I would do the same but my TA is very competent and always provides wonderful service.

Yes, I don't think anyone objects to getting information. There is no reason to insist that if others are not using a ta they are doing something wrong or losing out. The only time I've ever felt I've lost out is when I've used a ta. Clearly you do not feel the same. Please respect my choice as I respect yours.

The op asked if they could get benefits if they spoke to someone at Hal, not if they spoke to a ta.

Edited by cruz chic

The majority of TAs are very competent and professional, as - I am sure - are most PCCs. And TAs usually know about different cruise lines, not just one, and can certainly help you with travel plans before and after the actual cruise. When looking for either, a little research and recommendations are helpful. I have never, ever had a bad TA. Every one has given me excellent service. My experience with PCCs has not been good, and I have said so here, and obviously the other poster has not had a good experience with a TA, and says so. You takes your pick and makes your choices.;)

The majority of TAs are very competent and professional, as - I am sure - are most PCCs. And TAs usually know about different cruise lines, not just one, and can certainly help you with travel plans before and after the actual cruise. When looking for either, a little research and recommendations are helpful. I have never, ever had a bad TA. Every one has given me excellent service. My experience with PCCs has not been good, and I have said so here, and obviously the other poster has not had a good experience with a TA, and says so. You takes your pick and makes your choices.;)

Absolutely. There are many choices and there is no reason to continue using a TA who performs poorly.

I currently use two different TA alternating between them. That way, if one disappoints, I have an alternative. I also continue to do research on possible TA. I would like to use someone local. I've identified three TA who might work. My next bookable cruise is Nov 2017. Those cruises won't be available for another month or two. I'll contact those three when we get back from Westy and see if any of them want to play. I do not want to be locked into a single TA.

Absolutely. There are many choices and there is no reason to continue using a TA who performs poorly.

I currently use two different TA alternating between them. That way, if one disappoints, I have an alternative. I also continue to do research on possible TA. I would like to use someone local. I've identified three TA who might work. My next bookable cruise is Nov 2017. Those cruises won't be available for another month or two. I'll contact those three when we get back from Westy and see if any of them want to play. I do not want to be locked into a single TA.

For sure. There is also no reason to go to a PCC that performs poorly. If a person just loves their ta and can't imagine why they use a PCC and then complain about it. It's like me returning to a ta and complaining about them constantly. I don't use them because they have been bad. I don't keep going back to reward bad service. That makes no sense to me.

For sure. There is also no reason to go to a PCC that performs poorly. If a person just loves their ta and can't imagine why they use a PCC and then complain about it. It's like me returning to a ta and complaining about them constantly. I don't use them because they have been bad. I don't keep going back to reward bad service. That makes no sense to me.

Let me address that seeing as it is clearly aimed at me. I opted to try a PCC based on YOUR posts and also Crews News. Curiosity got the better of me. It was not a good experience but I was willing to give it a shot. First one - disaster. Supervisor assured me that now I was going to be assigned the absolute best they had. So far, not good. So after two bookings, no more PCCs in my life. However, it has been quite easy to book via PCC (as long as it's in business hours only, not on weekends) and transfer the booking to my TA later, where I get further perks.

Hope that helps you understand. Complaining constantly is not in my realm, only explaining - as I am sure this what you do when you complain about your TA experience which I have read many times.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lizzie68

How do you transfer to a TA?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You just phone HAL world reservations or your PCC and give the name and phone number of the TA you want it transferred to. They have absolutely no problem doing that and are happy to help. It is a specific department that handles it, so whichever you call they can transfer you. It is a common practice, apparently. Your TA usually gets it with half an hour, and can then email you the booking confirmation to show the transfer.

We always use a TA, get 7-8% in refundable OBC.

Rebating half or so of the commission was a factor when the airlines decided that if travel agents were making enough commission to give so much back that maybe they were being paid too much. That and improving technology were factors in the airlines first cutting agent commissions to five percent then to zero. Now the airlines pretty much have their customers doing everything themselves re all the fare searching, seat picking, payments etc online rather than having to pay staff or agents to perform these functions.

Eventually the cruise lines may well also cut the agents commissions for similar reasons.

The cruise lines are always looking to reduce expenses and commission expense is a big target number that the bean counters no doubt watch closely.