Fortified Wines as free carry on

cruisn71

We took Vermouth (fortified wine) on board a couple or three times and it was only questioned once by a very young staff member who, when I said it was a form of wine, said she'd probably get fired but she'd let me go on board with it.

On my last cruise in January from Fort Lauderdale, I decided not to bother with the vermouth, but I did carry a bottle of wine on in my carryon bag. No one in the terminal could tell me where I was supposed to check it in and, when I put it through the xray machine in my backpack as I boarded the ship, no one said anything. Made me wonder what would have happened if I'd had a couple or three bottles.

You're not allowed to take port or other fortified wine. I've taken a bottle of Ramos-Pinto 30 year old tawny port as part of two cases we checked last year, but we paid corkage on all 24 bottles. Perhaps they let it slide because we were paying over $400 in corkage, or maybe it wasn't as noticeable amongst its 23 "friends." I wouldn't try it as my one free bottle, though.

The published rules say wine is allowed. Port is wine. The rules don't specifically prohibit Port. Is there a rule against Port, and if so, where is it?
Certainly it's not written anywhere, and pretty much up to the security person on duty at the time. On our Eurodam cruise last Nov from FLL terminal 26 I did not even see anybody who would collect corkage on wine or bottles of contraband!

We have brought port on most of our cruises without ever being questioned. We always count it as our corkage "free" bottle for in-room consumption. We have even shared one of our bottles of port with a cellar master in the Pinnacle Grill (after hours ...) with a nice plate of cheese.

Quick question: Does HAL sell Port or Sherry by the glass in the dining rooms?

After reading this thread I was thinking of having a glass as part of dessert on my next cruise. When they take beverage orders at the beginning of the meal, will it be a problem if I ask them to bring it with dessert?

Edited by Tom O.

After reading this thread I was thinking of having a glass as part of dessert on my next cruise. When they take beverage orders at the beginning of the meal, will it be a problem if I ask them to bring it with dessert?

Yes - and you can wait until dessert time before ordering it. Or you can get it in the Explorer's Lounge while listening to the Adagio duo. :) Edited by jtl513

My late DH used to enjoy a glass of port sometimes but was usually disappointed with what HAL offered.

Edited by sail7seas