flying into JFK sailing out of Cape Liberty-need help plz

Sashathailand

Help- What would you do.... excited but overwhelmed west coasters traveling out of Bayonne NJ/Cape Liberty for the first time. We are a group of 4 adults sailing on the oct 19 X Summit repo. We are flying into JFK on the 18th and need help with the logistics. pros/cons of staying near jfk sat night and take a taxi/car service to the port in the am OR is it better to stay closer to the port? we would like to save our money for the boat (so sharing a hotel room and transportation) and we are not looking to do anything touristy, just grab food and drinks (can be delivery) in the evening and then stare at the ceiling counting down the minutes till we can leave for the boat :D

any suggestions/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

JFK airport hotels don't have the best reputation. They can be just fine, but they also can be used for emergency housing by social services,

To keep costs down, I would suggest looking at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island where you can get a room for 4 with 2 queen beds on Oct 18 for $229 plus tax. They offer a free shuttle to Cape Liberty, which you have to arrange through the Hilton Gardens next door. You need to take a car service to get to Cape Liberty anyway - a car service from JFK to Staten Island should be a little less money.

Your only other choice is to book a hotel at Newark Airport, but you'd have to pay to get there plus pay $50-60 to get to Cape Liberty. There are some good deals on LastMinuteTravel.com for the main Marriott, the Renaissance, and the Doubletree for Oct 18 that would be price competitive even with an extra car service trip.

You didn't mention what time your flight was arriving JFK. If it is very late at night and you feel you will be too exhausted to deal with a 45 min ride to Staten Island, there was a recent discussion here on CC that the JFK Courtyard by Mariott is used by airline personnel and is acceptable. Unfortunately there have been no confirmation by CC members if this is true or not, but Tripadvisor has some favorable reviews.

Here is the official JFK page, to compare prices of transportation to give you an idea of cost.http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-taxi-car-van-service.html#carandvan

You didn't mention what time your flight was arriving JFK. If it is very late at night and you feel you will be too exhausted to deal with a 45 min ride to Staten Island, there was a recent discussion here on CC that the JFK Courtyard by Mariott is used by airline personnel and is acceptable. Unfortunately there have been no confirmation by CC members if this is true or not, but Tripadvisor has some favorable reviews.

ALL the major hotels-Hilton, Sheraton, Radisson, Crowne-have airline contracts as well as a few other hotels. All the hotels with a few exceptions (usually the 1-maybe 2 * dumps that CPS determines are too inferior to house their clients) also have CPS contracts. So it is truly the luck of the draw who you will be sharing the hotel with. I have been at the Sheraton where Delta houses a lot of their crews and been inundated with CPS clients arriving all night long after a gang shoot out and drug bust.

And one of the very worst nights (June 12, 2003-that's how bad it was-I even remember the date) I have ever spent at a JFK hotel was at the Radisson. Was behind 4 long haul (international) AA flight crews for check in. So a total of at least 32 airline personnel, probably more. This was about 9PM.

We were flying Concorde the following morning and I wanted a good nights sleep so I could get to the airport the following morning early for the white table cloth breakfast and all the goodies that go with flying Concorde. This was a THURSDAY night, not even the weekend.

By 11PM, the noise in the hall was deafening. People pounding on doors, loud drunk talking, kids screaming. I called the front desk. They sent security. It quieted down for about 20 minutes. Then it all started again.

I got dressed and went downstairs. About 14 flight attendants and one Captain were also down there complaining about the noise. One crew was flying long haul to Japan the next day. They really needed their sleep.

The night clerks just kept saying sorry, sorry, sorry, nothing we can do. There was a fire in one of the buildings at the housing project and CPS had to move 200+ people on short notice. CPS is supposed to enforce the rules but there are only so many CPS to control the situation and most of them were probably busy moving people to any hotel that had space. As I was standing there speaking to the flight crews, the Captain pulled out his paperwork. My room was in the neighborhood of $150 (Priceline bidding). Airline crew, at least according to the paperwork-$176. Captain told all of us CPS is charged $228 per night. Who do you think they took care of??? NOT any of us. Those CPS housing contracts are very coveted by the hotels because there is no competition for taxpayer dollars other than between hotels.

The VERY last time I ever stayed at a JFK hotel. Hotels at LGA are generally cheaper to begin with and for a $35 cab ride, I would NEVER subject myself to a JFK hotel again. That $35 cab ride and $125 (sometimes even cheaper) at the LaGuardia Plaza guarantees a nice quiet peaceful sleep in a full service hotel. I've said my peace.

Edited by greatam

Thank you so much for your replies. We will be landing into jfk about 3pm. I will check out lga hotels as well as the garden inn shuttle availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With that schedule, I wouldn't think twice about hiring car service or even a taxi and going to the Hampton Inn in Staten Island. For your situation, going to an LGA hotel will increase your cost a lot-taxi to the LGA hotel and then from an LGA hotel to Cape Liberty. Probably a total of about $150 in transport costs alone.

Take 138east's advice and book the Staten Island hotel. At least you are not paying the price for transport crossing state lines. Enjoy!!!

Edited by greatam

Thank you so much for your replies. We will be landing into jfk about 3pm. I will check out lga hotels as well as the garden inn shuttle availability.

In case it wasn't clear, the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island offers a free shuttle to Cape Liberty, but to get from JFK to one of those hotels you would have to pay for a taxi or car service.

Edited by njhorseman

Per this from the Staten Island HGI website, it's the same "Cruise With Ease" package at both the Hampton Inn and HGI.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/gi/EWRSIGI/en_US/pdf/en_EWRSIGI_Cruise_With_Ease_Aug_2014.pdf?cid=OH,ES,ewrsi,cruisewithease,LRR1,maps

Edited by njhorseman

Per this from the Staten Island HGI website, it's the same "Cruise With Ease" package at both the Hampton Inn and HGI.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/gi/EWRSIGI/en_US/pdf/en_EWRSIGI_Cruise_With_Ease_Aug_2014.pdf?cid=OH,ES,ewrsi,cruisewithease,LRR1,maps

It's interesting that they are advertising a cruise package for the Hampton Inn. Perhaps something has changed. Folks were just booking rooms at the regular rate and booking the cruise shuttle at no extra charge. I'd definitely call and book a room assuming the shuttle comes with it and see what they say.

It's interesting that they are advertising a cruise package for the Hampton Inn. Perhaps something has changed. Folks were just booking rooms at the regular rate and booking the cruise shuttle at no extra charge. I'd definitely call and book a room assuming the shuttle comes with it and see what they say.

No doubt they are trying to avoid just that. It definitely appears to be something new. If you look at the full URL for that web page it includes "August_2014" in the address.

Just an FYI for you both. I booked online with the Hampton this morning and then called the Garden Inn to make shuttle arrangements. The first question the very nice receptionist asked, was if I had booked the Park Stay and Go option. She mentioned that the reservation needed to be coded that way prior to being able to make shuttle reservations.

Thank you again for your insight. I hope this information can help when assisting others.

Edited by Sashathailand