NCL Dawn Passenger Assaulted in Bermuda

Just back from a Boston to Bermuda sailing on the NCL Dawn. I've been visiting Bermuda for nearly 45 years, and though I realize there's no such thing as complete safety, especially when traveling, I've always considered Bermuda to be at the top of my list of safe places to travel.

Not any more.

One of our fellow passengers was walking (alone) to the ship from Snorkel Beach on a relatively well traveled walkway in front of the main entrance to the Maritime Museum at 4pm on 6/14. A tall and imposing black Bermudian was walking toward him on the same sidewalk. The Dawn passenger assumed they would walk around each other as they got closer, but instead was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. The assailant began to search through the victim's pockets, presumably for a wallet when the victim came to his senses and grabbed his assailant by the groin and focused every bit of strength on damaging the assailant's testicles. When the assailant was taken down screaming, the victim ( a scrappy 40ish Bostonian ) managed to level a couple of punches to the assailant's face and fled to the ship where he reported the incident to security personnel and customs agents. Bermudian police visited and interviewed the victim in his stateroom. Police identifield the assailant as someone they'd been looking for due to similar previous attacks. The police indicated that such attacks have become more frequent and problematic in recent years.

We have noticed a dramatic change in the island's demographic over the past 5 - 6 years. There appears to have been an influx of Caribbean islanders establishing residence on the previously pristine English island now active with gangs and the crimes usually associated with gang activity.

We've visited the night club at Snorkel Beach during our last two summer visits. The security protocol (frisking, metal detectors, anti-gang dress code) is clearly designed to combat a growing problem on the island. The demographic make-up of the club's non-tourist guests is stunning. I had no idea that Bermuda had fallen prey to such a scary element. The club is absolutely beautiful, but VERY SCARY. I spoke to a local police officer who told me that stabbings and assaults at the club are not uncommon, but usually perpetrated by and among the island's native population.

I certainly hope that the Bermudian government sits-up and takes notice and action against this very troubling trend. The island's livelihood depends on it.

Very very sad. We love Bermuda and have cruised there nearly every year since '03. We're been to Caribbean but it's not anywhere near the beauty and safety Bermuda provides. I know by heart the walk you're talking about .... practically all tourists return to the ship along that walk and this is very troubling. Thanks for posting.

Wow, this is shocking. I was just in Bermuda with my family in March and it seemed very safe. It was our first time and we just loved it. Actually, I loved it so much that I read all about their immigration policies as soon as I returned. :)

Unfortunately, I was not happy with what I read. They have very restrictive rules on who can immigrate to their island... maybe as a result of the change you've seen in the last few years? There goes my dream of living on that beautiful island... hehe. Anyway, I did read about a very disturbing murder case that happened in 1996 to a young tourist. It's easily found via the Google.

We have noticed a dramatic change in the island's demographic over the past 5 - 6 years. There appears to have been an influx of Caribbean islanders establishing residence on the previously pristine English island now active with gangs and the crimes usually associated with gang activity.

We've visited the night club at Snorkel Beach during our last two summer visits. The security protocol (frisking, metal detectors, anti-gang dress code) is clearly designed to combat a growing problem on the island. The demographic make-up of the club's non-tourist guests is stunning. I had no idea that Bermuda had fallen prey to such a scary element. The club is absolutely beautiful, but VERY SCARY. I spoke to a local police officer who told me that stabbings and assaults at the club are not uncommon, but usually perpetrated by and among the island's native population.

Same thing happens in Madison, WI , heart of the midwest. All the nightclubs have a problem, and many have had their liquor license revoked because of too many police calls and violence. The most recent was even in Middleton, WI, which is often named one of the "best cities to live."

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately this could have happened at any port. When you travel on vacation, having a wonderful time ..... our internal guards are down so to speak. I'm glad that for the most part, this passenger is OK.

OceanDreams

Every single port and every single city and every single state and every single country in the world has crime. Some more than others, but crime is a side effect of humanity.

Sorry this happened, but does this incident indicate a crime wave and a reason to avoid this one port?

Snorkel Park is very safe. I would be more afraid of drowning or being stung by a jellyfish than been robbed.

We are off to Bermuda in July with two teens who I was going to allow to go to Sparkle Beach on their own! Not sure I'll allow that now.

You'll find those darn Yankees fans anywhere;):cool:. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did, could have been a lot worse.

My wife was the victim of a robbery and I can assure you there is NOTHING funny about it......

One of our fellow passengers ... A tall and imposing black Bermudian ... The Dawn passenger... Bermudian police ...

Was the fellow passsenger or Bermudian police black too? Was it really needed/mattered to only point out the race of the scumbag (being Black makes someone more dangerous or more of a scumbag?) but not everyone else? However this not the appropriate forum/thread to have that discussion. Be that as it may, unfortunately just as when at home, when on vacation trying to have fun, we still have to be wary. Crime is everywhere, but we can't let the fear of it rule us, but its is unwise to stick your hand in the sand and think since you are a tourist, you are untouchable.

Just back from a Boston to Bermuda sailing on the NCL Dawn. I've been visiting Bermuda for nearly 45 years, and though I realize there's no such thing as complete safety, especially when traveling, I've always considered Bermuda to be at the top of my list of safe places to travel.

Not any more.

One of our fellow passengers was walking (alone) to the ship from Snorkel Beach on a relatively well traveled walkway in front of the main entrance to the Maritime Museum at 4pm on 6/14. A tall and imposing black Bermudian was walking toward him on the same sidewalk. The Dawn passenger assumed they would walk around each other as they got closer, but instead was punched in the face and knocked to the ground. The assailant began to search through the victim's pockets, presumably for a wallet when the victim came to his senses and grabbed his assailant by the groin and focused every bit of strength on damaging the assailant's testicles. When the assailant was taken down screaming, the victim ( a scrappy 40ish Bostonian ) managed to level a couple of punches to the assailant's face and fled to the ship where he reported the incident to security personnel and customs agents. Bermudian police visited and interviewed the victim in his stateroom. Police identifield the assailant as someone they'd been looking for due to similar previous attacks. The police indicated that such attacks have become more frequent and problematic in recent years.

I certainly hope that the Bermudian government sits-up and takes notice and action against this very troubling trend. The island's livelihood depends on it.

Rumor had it that there was also a drug bust on board our sailing -- two passengers arrested by Bermudian police for trying to bring drugs onto the island.

My wife was the victim of a robbery and I can assure you there is NOTHING funny about it......

I guess Yankee fans don't have much of a sense of humor these days!

There is nothing funny about being assaulted and robbed, but he fought back and avoided that!

I guess Yankee fans don't have much of a sense of humor these days!

There is nothing funny about being assaulted and robbed, but he fought back and avoided that!

My comments have nothing to do with the Yankees or the Red Sox, it has to do with being a victim. My wife still suffers emotional from her encounter and she was not assaulted...make all the jokes you want..

The passenger avoided what ?? not having his possessions taken ???..he was still an victim..If my wife had fought back she would probably be dead...BTW her robbery also took place in Bermuda.

My comments have nothing to do with the Yankees or the Red Sox, it has to do with being a victim. My wife still suffers emotional from her encounter and she was not assaulted...make all the jokes you want..

The passenger avoided what ?? not having his possessions taken ???..he was still an victim..If my wife had fought back she would probably be dead...BTW her robbery also took place in Bermuda.

So sorry that happened to your wife. It is a hard thing to bounce back from.

If you don't mind my asking, when did the robbery take place and where in Bermuda? I've always considered Bermuda the safest place to visit, but I guess that is not the case anymore. What a shame.

One of our fellow passengers was walking (alone) to the ship from Snorkel Beach on a relatively well traveled walkway in front of the main entrance to the Maritime Museum at 4pm on 6/14.

quoted from OP

Archived