World Cruise price drop

Stakeout

two days ago I happened to be checking on the HAL site the itinerary and # of sea days for the Jan 2016 World Cruise on the Amsterdam comparing it to the Princess World Cruise on the Pacific Princess..HAL hasn't posted the 2017 World cruise Itinerary yet.. the price was what it had been in prior years for Inside 19999 and Outside 23999.. yesterday I went back on the HAL site and I noticed a price drop-- Inside 16999 and Outside 19999.. first time I've ever seen a price drop on the World Cruise..

is this the new changes from scuttlebutt I've heard about onboard.. will HAL lower the prices on World Cruises and Grand Voyages so they can 'fill the ship'.. I know there are times the Prinsendam goes out on one of its Grand Voyages 30-50% capacity.. maybe a lightbulb went off in Seattle.. (probably not) .. HAL no longer runs the Amsterdam 78 day Grand Voyage in September now carrying it as a 50 day this coming September and not labeled a Grand Voyage anymore

the changes they are a-coming

Edited by Stakeout

Interesting, we are planning on going on the 2017 WC so I hope it carries over. I don't think I have ever seen them drop the price on a WC. When is the final payment date for 2016. If it has not passed they will get a lot of rebooks.

two days ago I happened to be checking on the HAL site the itinerary and # of sea days for the Jan 2016 World Cruise on the Amsterdam comparing it to the Princess World Cruise on the Pacific Princess..HAL hasn't posted the 2017 World cruise Itinerary yet.. the price was what it had been in prior years for Inside 19999 and Outside 23999.. yesterday I went back on the HAL site and I noticed a price drop-- Inside 16999 and Outside 19999.. first time I've ever seen a price drop on the World Cruise..

is this the new changes from scuttlebutt I've heard about onboard.. will HAL lower the prices on World Cruises and Grand Voyages so they can 'fill the ship'.. I know there are times the Prinsendam goes out on one of its Grand Voyages 30-50% capacity.. maybe a lightbulb went off in Seattle.. (probably not) .. HAL no longer runs the Amsterdam 78 day Grand Voyage in September now carrying it as a 50 day this coming September and not labeled a Grand Voyage anymore

I'm indulging in pure speculation so grain of salt and all that. But with 2016 virtually the same itinerary as 2015, possibly more than usual of the regulars who don't do it every year are skipping 2016 in favor of 2017. It's also possible that the annual passenger group is starting to age out of doing it every year.

It's also even possible that people in lower fare categories might be more likely to skip a year due to the different itinerary for 2017. I haven't been following anything but Inside & OV fares, do you know if higher categories also had a price drop?

I think I saw somewhere they had approx 1,000 passengers this year? With 700 on for the full cruise? Depending on the distribution between higher and lower dollar bookings, even a small overall change in total bookings could make a significant difference in load factor breakeven points.

It's on my bucket list, depending on itinerary probably in 2018 or 2019. I hope the World Cruise is still around by then.

I assume that the 78-day Grand Voyage you referred was the Far East one? HAL is still doing the SA/Antarctica and Med Grand Voyages. But what is the 50-day cruise you are referring to?

If I recall correctly, it's called "Tales of the South Pacific", and it's not a Grand Voyage, just a regular voyage. But it has a great itinerary. Leaves Seattle end of September, goes down the west coast to pick up a few more passengers, and then it's off into the Pacific.

Edited by middle-aged mom
spelling

Very interesting. Looks like no decrease on balconies, however.

Cunard dropped their World Voyage 2016 prices as well. Full World Voyages seldom are discounted - wonder what the problem is this year?

The demographics are changing? Less interest in the new retirees?

And, the pricing, based upon what I paid in 2008, is way out of line with what is received based upon the reports of WCB on this Message Board.

The 2017 itinerary has been out for a couple of weeks thanks to a leaky travel agent. Unofficial but it fits with what 2015 passengers were told onboard. Possibly the fare drops for 2016 are a clue to why 2017 isn't open for booking yet.

Here's a link to a post listing the itinerary on the World Cruise 2017 thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46614906&postcount=16

The 2017 itinerary has been out for a couple of weeks thanks to a leaky travel agent. Unofficial but it fits with what 2015 passengers were told onboard. Possibly the fare drops for 2016 are a clue to why 2017 isn't open for booking yet.

Here's a link to a post listing the itinerary on the World Cruise 2017 thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46614906&postcount=16

We have a deposit on the 2017, we were told that HAL would post it the end of this month.

The 3% discount date has been extended to July 31st for the 2016 cruise.

Love to do this cruise, but even with the price drop it is waaaay out of our budget.:(

Love to do this cruise, but even with the price drop it is waaaay out of our budget.:(

There is an online travel agency that shows the 2016 world cruise pricing of $19,312 p.p. for an obstructed view ocean view. This includes all taxes, port fees and any other charges. I don't know what other perks they are throwing in.

HAL automatically reprices anyone who is booked on a Grand Voyage if the rate goes down. These cruises are treated much differently than non-Grand Voyages. The Early Final Payment date, to save 3% is July 31st. Otherwise, final payment is due on October 6th.

HAL has also dropped the single supplement to 125% for insides and ocean view cabins on the 2016 world cruise.

My travel agent notified me of this today. I noticed one of the advance booking benefits for oceanview, i.e. prepaid gratuities, was missing.

Extension of the "early payment discount"; reduction in price for the cruise: is the Grand World Voyage an endangered species" for HAL?

My travel agent notified me of this today. I noticed one of the advance booking benefits for oceanview, i.e. prepaid gratuities, was missing.

Extension of the "early payment discount"; reduction in price for the cruise: is the Grand World Voyage an endangered species" for HAL?

I received an e-mail Tuesday from a TA that many HAL passengers use. It had a chart showing the various perks for each cabin category. Inside cabins were not on the chart (so maybe none of the perks apply???) but ocean view cabins were shown with pre-paid gratuities, luggage delivery (at least two pieces depending on grade of ocean view) and a bottle of welcome aboard champagne.

I certainly hope World Voyages continue. Maybe HAL needs to more actively push segments for those who for one reason or another don't want to do the full world to help fill up the ship.