Walking from Great Anse to Morne Rouge

lauriedun

We did this on our cruise in January. Not sure of the distance, but it was not too difficult and probably not more than 1/2 mile from the end of Grand Anse beach farthest from town. If you look down Grand Anse beach away from town, you will see a road going up the hill. Walk up that road and you can see Morne Rouge from the top of the hill. Stay on the road and it will lead down to the beach--there is one switch-back. I thought I had read that it is only an extra $1 to Morne Rouge for the taxi, but have no personal experience. But, if you want to go to both beaches, walking between them is easily doable if you are reasonably fit.

If you want some extra excitement, take the bus to Grand Anse.

We did this on our cruise in January. Not sure of the distance, but it was not too difficult and probably not more than 1/2 mile from the end of Grand Anse beach farthest from town. If you look down Grand Anse beach away from town, you will see a road going up the hill. Walk up that road and you can see Morne Rouge from the top of the hill. Stay on the road and it will lead down to the beach--there is one switch-back. I thought I had read that it is only an extra $1 to Morne Rouge for the taxi, but have no personal experience. But, if you want to go to both beaches, walking between them is easily doable if you are reasonably fit.

If you want some extra excitement, take the bus to Grand Anse.

Can you clarify what kind of excitment it would be? :)

We took public transportation in St. Thomas and it was fun chatting with the locals, but I have heard in some places it is not so fun! Does the bus go all the way to Mourne Rouge? I read on a Grenada website that the water taxi goes to Great Anse only.

The bus does not go all the way to Morne Rouge unless it makes an off route trip for which they charge taxi prices.

Maybe excitement was the wrong word, though the roads in Grenada make any ride an interesting experience. The buses are actually small vans that usually play loud music and pack as many people in as they can. There seems to be a 2 person staff, one to drive and one to take the money and find passengers. The bus to Grand Anse goes along the shore for the most part so you get a little sightseeing on the way and the bus will be full of ordinary people. We enjoy experiences that don't insulate us from the locals so the bus ride to and from the beach helped make our day in Grenada enjoyable.

Thanks! I agree, I like chatting with the locals and hearing about island life! We were on one island and the locals were talking about how cold it is in December. (65 degrees!!) Many different viewpoints down there!

Archived