Cleaning snorkel equipment

amyj23

We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?

One more question... We do NOT have fins or that life jacket thingy. If we want to rent those two items, but not the mask or snorkel, is it cheaper? If it's the same price, then we might as well buy fins and that life jacket before we go...

We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?

I would not use the dishwasher especially if it is a good mask. I use a little Baby Shampoo and water. Also baby shampoo and water rubbed inside and out on the lens and then flushed with water helps with foggy up.

That is my take and others may have another idea, best of luck.

I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?

I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?

Hi,

Totally agree! But just remember do not let your equipment dry in direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will degrade the silicon over time.

Randall

If buying snorkel vest, get the ones with crotch strap. Without it, it can slip off you head, or moves too high and make it uncomfortable. My friends had that, vs what we had. Big difference.

Most ops include the cost of renting the snorkel/mask/fin/vest in their price. If you have your own mask/snorkel but need to rent fin/vest, they don't usually give discount. But if you have everything yourself, you can negotiate for slight discount, and some place will.

Archived