Anyone been to Governor's Beach?

Dixie24

I'd prefer to go to a different beach than the one right off the dock. I have seen pictures of Governor's Beach and it looks beautiful. It seems like you could walk there. It is up the road a little ways from Jack's Shack. Anyone been before? I am looking for a more quiet beach with less people.

That is our plan in a couple of weeks. This is our first cruise and after countless hours of reading/watching videos, etc....

Going to get off, hit the beach turn left and walk up to Jacks, then hit the road and walk the 15 minutes or so to Governors Beach and spend a couple of hours chilling.

I can't wait.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a quiet, (really beautiful) beach, I suggest Pillory Beach. They call it Bahio Resort now. It's FAR from a resort. This place is amazing, and practically deserted. I was there with my little boy earlier this year. There were 2 ships docked, and we were practically the only ones there. TONS of shells, plenty of shade, and space. I remember we wanted to explore, so we walked down the beach (for what seemed like miles). Finally had to turn around beaches my son got tired! Only down side it's a bit further out, but you can split the taxi cost with another couple. Also, beach chairs and food/drinks weren't super cheap, but so worth it. You can see some pics and reviews on Tripadvisor.

Just went to Governor's Beach last week. We took a Hop on Hop off bus tour that made a stop there. It was our last stop and we were pretty late getting there, so it was expectedly deserted. Beautiful area with decent snorkeling thanks to a few large submerged rocks & a beached old ship. Was pleasantly surprised to find that they send a free express shuttle back to the pier from Governor's Beach. I'm not sure if it was free to us because we were on a tour bus (and had a wristband) or is available to everyone.

• 1 month later...
If you're looking for a quiet, (really beautiful) beach, I suggest Pillory Beach. They call it Bahio Resort now. It's FAR from a resort. This place is amazing, and practically deserted. I was there with my little boy earlier this year. There were 2 ships docked, and we were practically the only ones there. TONS of shells, plenty of shade, and space. I remember we wanted to explore, so we walked down the beach (for what seemed like miles). Finally had to turn around beaches my son got tired! Only down side it's a bit further out, but you can split the taxi cost with another couple. Also, beach chairs and food/drinks weren't super cheap, but so worth it. You can see some pics and reviews on Tripadvisor.

We are looking to go to Pillory Beach in a couple weeks. I understand that there will not be any problems to get a taxi out to the beach... What about a return to the dock? Are there plenty of taxi's available, or can one be called or what are the expectations for that sort of thing?

Like to idea of going there, but don't want to be there as the ship is sailin' away!:)

Happy New Year! Happy Cruisin'

We were in GT in 2009 and went to Gov. beach. It was very nice and not a lot of people. We rented a golf cart and toured the island and stopped here first. Below are some pics.

We were in GT this past year in Sept. but stayed close to the ship since we now have a daughter. We just booked again and this is a stop again and I believe we will be going to Gov. beach again to spend the day.

2412f05.jpg

sqqxhe.jpg

vyl7y1.jpg

Hi. Thinking bohio too. Can you expand a bit on what plenty of shade means? Looks like no umbrellas in pics and not sure enough trees if some crowd. Would love all else but really need cover from sun and on beach. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Governor's beach in 2013 and were really disappointed. Seems a bit run down - there was just an old shack selling canned drinks and some very worn sunbeds (no umbrellas). There was also a shipwreck on the beach (not sure if that has been moved now !) We're going to Grand Turk again in Feb and will just stay near the pier this time !!

• 2 weeks later...

We were just here this past week. We rented golf carts and were the only ones on this beach. It is deserted. Only the beach 2 picnic tables and the old ship. It was like I had died and gone to heaven lol When we were last there maybe 2 years ago, there was a shack there selling drinks snacks etc but nothing there now.

hi - if Gov closed in Dec and closed in March, does this mean it's closed Dec THRU March? anyway to find out? thanks for insights...

Hi, I contacted HAL about status of Gov Beach. They said it was open, and implied it would be open when we are there on westerdam on feb 16th.

Edited by cbrad