Tips for Bayport Terminal

chrismch

We just completed our cruise departing from the Bayport Cruise Terminal and here's what you need to know if you are just starting to read any threads on this location...

1. Since it began use in Nov 2013, the majority of cruises have been delayed either coming in or going out. Ours left on time but due to early morning fog on our return to port, our docking didn't occur until approximately noon. Then you have all the customs protocol until they could start letting passengers leave. We got off at 2:40 pm and it looked like 25% of the remaining passengers were still on board judging by the luggage in the terminal.

2. Again, if you have not read previous posters most have had missed ports or changed ports (Costa Maya as a fill in). We missed Roatan, had intermittent rain in Cozumel, and the same for Belize.The weather in Belize caused the cave tubing to be cancelled as the water was too high.

3. Check your weather forecasts in advance as well as how many ships will be in port with you. In Belize we had a total of 5 ships which made walking within the port area like shopping on Black Friday without the stellar deals.

4. Book Princess air -- do not self book for this port. If there is a delay in debarkation it will cost you lots of $$$. Or better yet, stay over another day at this port so you don't miss a flight even in late afternoon.

5. This has been an unusual winter, but fog is normal for this port and Galveston. Maybe choose this port for another time of year.

6. The port itself - it is in an industrial location there is NOTHING near by. The terminal does not offer beverages or snacks. There is one road in and out. Definitely buy your parking online in advance. They don't have a toll booth set up to pay for parking at the site. Make sure you remember where you park by counting the rows -- there are no markers.

7. Getting in, show your reservation and follow their directions. Since our ship arrived early we had easy embarkation. We arrived just before noon, drove immediately into the passenger drop off area with the luggage and one person while the other one parked.

Got on board within 30 minutes, dropped our carryons and went to the Coral dining room for lunch and were ready to relax.

Thank you for your comments.

We are looking at a cruise departing from Bayport this fall, and I'm nervous about sailing out of and returning to this port. No hotels near port, weather delays, Houston Hobby in less than desirable area (so not many nice hotels to stay at the night before).

Can anyone who had a successful sailing out of this port chime in with their experience(s)?

Agree with first poster Chris. I was also on this ship with my adult daughter and her fiancé. I personally would go elsewhere if I had to fly but we live 35mi south of Dallas so it's not a biggie. I was very disappointed in this week and by Princess for several reasons but that's not the theme of this thread. I did learn one very valuable lesson......take an extra rolly bag and do the first available walk off!! We bought six bottles of booze and someone had to lug those two boxes plus a back pack, my carry on and my purse. I made the older wiser executive decision to check other bags and let the ship do the lugging of the same. BIG MISTAKE......HUGE!!!!! It was 2:30 when I sent a text to a friend in Dallas saying we were walking to the car. Big kudos to the lot folks tho.....I paid extra $10 for the car cover and it was still on my vehicle when we walked over to it. My future SIL asked what we were supposed to do with it and b4 I could say "take it home????" two young nice guys showed up and had it unclipped, rolled up and vanished with it! They were just as efficient when we arrived the sat prior and I had done the prepay online thing, printed a receipt plus had on my phone.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for your comments.

We are looking at a cruise departing from Bayport this fall, and I'm nervous about sailing out of and returning to this port. No hotels near port, weather delays, Houston Hobby in less than desirable area (so not many nice hotels to stay at the night before).

Can anyone who had a successful sailing out of this port chime in with their experience(s)?

Your info is a bit off. There are hotels near the port (LaPorte and Seabrook the towns just north/south of the port). Hobby airport, while not in the "best" area of Houston is fine. It's not like you are going to be walking to/from the airport anyway. All of the major chains have properties near Hobby as well (Hilton/Marriott/Holiday Inn etc etc etc)

We are flying into IAH from Boston and I am not looking forward to the logistics of this cruise. We are flying in the night before, staying at the airport Marriott and taking Princess transportation to the port. Our problem is the return. I wish I had known about the fog issues but I booked my airfare well in advance to the first cruises out of this port. I would have stayed over in Houston and flown home to Boston the following day. Now if I miss my 1:30 flight (time recommended by cruise line) I will have to rebook my airfare and find a place to stay. I am so unsure of this that I am booking a hotel room now that I can cancel on that day. I am also going to familiarize myself with lots of different options for flying home. This is too much work for a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing. Next year's Caribbean cruise is already booked for Fort Lauderdale.

We are flying into IAH from Boston and I am not looking forward to the logistics of this cruise. We are flying in the night before, staying at the airport Marriott and taking Princess transportation to the port. Our problem is the return. I wish I had known about the fog issues but I booked my airfare well in advance to the first cruises out of this port. I would have stayed over in Houston and flown home to Boston the following day. Now if I miss my 1:30 flight (time recommended by cruise line) I will have to rebook my airfare and find a place to stay. I am so unsure of this that I am booking a hotel room now that I can cancel on that day. I am also going to familiarize myself with lots of different options for flying home. This is too much work for a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing. Next year's Caribbean cruise is already booked for Fort Lauderdale.

Totally agree! Did you book with Easy Air?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unfortunately, we won't have a car. I based my comments regarding Houston Hobby Airport hotels on other forum comments. Since I have never visited the Houston area before, I only have these boards for port info.

I'm not going to worry, but know it won't be a Ft Lauderdale kind of experience (which can be good, as sometimes there are five or six cruise ships in port on weekends - what a mess!).

Thanks for your input!

Your info is a bit off. There are hotels near the port (LaPorte and Seabrook the towns just north/south of the port). Hobby airport, while not in the "best" area of Houston is fine. It's not like you are going to be walking to/from the airport anyway. All of the major chains have properties near Hobby as well (Hilton/Marriott/Holiday Inn etc etc etc)

Yep. La Porte in fact was great - the prices, the service such as the hotel's shuttle that they hadn't yet started to advertise, and it is as close to the port as most of the Ft. Lauderdale hotels people use. One freeway exit away.

Candlewood Suites (for instance) has free parking and is across the street from a big supermarket and next door to a Waffle House and near several fast food chains.

I don't believe it is true at all to say "most have had missed ports or changed ports" either. I guess I need to spend some time and collect statistics so we can put this one to rest.

Now if I had had gotten my act together early enough, I would have booked the Princess Hotel & Transport package from the downtown Four Seasons. Even though I live well within driving distance. They sold out - it's a GREAT deal on a really nice hotel. Lots of stuff close by that hotel too, even attractions.

Folks, listen up: IAH is really far from the port. Hobby (HOU) is closer. Southwest Airlines gives you two checked bags pp for Free, and you can change flights right up to boarding time and pay no change fee, just any difference in fares. <--- Can we make this a Sticky??

The terminal does have beverage and snack vending machines - and if you're Platinum or Elite or Suite, you get a separate room to lounge in with FREE snacks and bevs of your choice.

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be sailing on Caribbean Princess in April from Bayport. We're flying from Edmonton one day in advance (Friday) and staying overnight at the Kemah Boardwalk Inn. Have sailed from Galveston previously, thought it would be a good chance to see the Boardwalk the evening before we sail. Three generations - I'm the Grandma, in charge of 'organizing' our travel. The Boardwalk Inn recommended the Houston Travel Zone for transfers to the ship. I spoke to Sherry there and she was very helpful. We will be picked up at IAH, transferred to Boardwalk Inn, then to the ship the following day. Also will be picked up the day we disembark, taken to the Space Centre for a few hours (or as long as we feel comfortable with), then to IAH for our 6 p.m. flight. Princess offers an excursion to the Space Centre on the way to airport, but only allows 2 hours at NASA which wasn't near enough last year when we were there.

We just returned from the 1-18 Caribbean Princess cruise. We flew to Hobby on Southwest Air on Friday, the 17th. We took a cab to Comfort Suites in Bayport. They were great. Not only did they have a shuttle to the terminal on Saturday but they also had a Friday night shuttle to nearby restaurants.

On Saturday, fog did not interfere with embarkation. Embarkation was slightly delayed due to Norovirus on the previous cruise. The ship had to be super clean before we could enter.

We made all of the ports. We did not encounter rain while onshore.

On the final Saturday, fog did not interfere with debarkation. We took the Princess transfer back to the airport. We had a four hour wait for the plane, which arrived on time. We enjoyed a great lunch at the airport.

Generally speaking, any time you cruise in the winter in Houston/Galveston you run the risk of fog. Some years are better than others, but it's just life down here.

Galveston is closer to the ocean than Bayport on the ship channel (also, there's more commercial traffic headed towards Houston than Galveston) so it may take a little longer to clear going to Bayport than Galveston, but when the Coast Guard closes the ship channel, both ports are going to be delayed. Neither port has much of an advantage over the other when it comes to fog.

If you're flying here during the winter, plan a little extra time just in case.

We just returned from the 1-18 Caribbean Princess cruise. We flew to Hobby on Southwest Air on Friday, the 17th. We took a cab to Comfort Suites in Bayport. They were great. Not only did they have a shuttle to the terminal on Saturday but they also had a Friday night shuttle to nearby restaurants.

On Saturday, fog did not interfere with embarkation. Embarkation was slightly delayed due to Norovirus on the previous cruise. The ship had to be super clean before we could enter.

We made all of the ports. We did not encounter rain while onshore.

On the final Saturday, fog did not interfere with debarkation. We took the Princess transfer back to the airport. We had a four hour wait for the plane, which arrived on time. We enjoyed a great lunch at the airport.

What time was your flight leaving and what time did you get off the ship, we have a 12pm flight out of Hobby in April.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add they provide free parking at the Bayport terminal for disabled veterans. The Galveston Cruise Terminal Parking does as well, but it's a little inconvenient. Bayport parking is run by the same folks that do EZCruise parking in Galveston and they advise we should just show up, no reservation needed and they will take care of us. I have Disabled Veteran plates and I would guess any VA ID card would work as well.

We just completed our cruise departing from the Bayport Cruise Terminal and here's what you need to know if you are just starting to read any threads on this location...

1. Since it began use in Nov 2013, the majority of cruises have been delayed either coming in or going out. Ours left on time but due to early morning fog on our return to port, our docking didn't occur until approximately noon. Then you have all the customs protocol until they could start letting passengers leave. We got off at 2:40 pm and it looked like 25% of the remaining passengers were still on board judging by the luggage in the terminal.

2. Again, if you have not read previous posters most have had missed ports or changed ports (Costa Maya as a fill in). We missed Roatan, had intermittent rain in Cozumel, and the same for Belize.The weather in Belize caused the cave tubing to be cancelled as the water was too high.

3. Check your weather forecasts in advance as well as how many ships will be in port with you. In Belize we had a total of 5 ships which made walking within the port area like shopping on Black Friday without the stellar deals.

4. Book Princess air -- do not self book for this port. If there is a delay in debarkation it will cost you lots of $$$. Or better yet, stay over another day at this port so you don't miss a flight even in late afternoon.

5. This has been an unusual winter, but fog is normal for this port and Galveston. Maybe choose this port for another time of year.

6. The port itself - it is in an industrial location there is NOTHING near by. The terminal does not offer beverages or snacks. There is one road in and out. Definitely buy your parking online in advance. They don't have a toll booth set up to pay for parking at the site. Make sure you remember where you park by counting the rows -- there are no markers.

7. Getting in, show your reservation and follow their directions. Since our ship arrived early we had easy embarkation. We arrived just before noon, drove immediately into the passenger drop off area with the luggage and one person while the other one parked.

Got on board within 30 minutes, dropped our carryons and went to the Coral dining room for lunch and were ready to relax.

I was on the Jan 11 cruise which was, surprise surprise, delayed by fog.

I congratulate you on 99.9% of your recommendations.

Only comment I have is that there are entry booths to the parking lot where they are only too happy to accept your money.:)

I do, however, recommend reserving parking in advance.

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/parking/

Edited by Stevesan

Agree with online reservation. U save $5 I believe and are guarantee a spot. Also I sprung for the car cover rental for $10. The salt/sand etc flying around for a week is bad news for a paint job. The car cover was still on when we got back to the car (which was crowding 3P due to late arrival Jan 11). As soon as we walked to the car two nice young men took it off and we loaded up.

Somebody referenced the military/Dis Vet thing. There are specific instructions on the port website about what is required. Thinking a DD214 is required but could be wrong. I skimmed over it and thought DAMN if my Daddy was still alive and he was coming along......of course I wish he was still alive for reasons besides free DAV parking!!

Question: Do they have any short term parking???

We are taking my DD and SIL to the port and doing the tour of the ship excursion. I do not want to pay $80 for a few hours!!!

There are LOTS of nice hotels in the surrounding areas (which are nice). Check Webster, Clear Lake City and Nassau Bay. They are all going to be on Interstate 45, NASA Road 1, Clear Lake City Boulevard, Bay Area Bouldvard.

On Bay Area Blvd. alone there is: InTown Suites, Hampton Inn and Suites, La Quinta, Extended Stay Delux, and lots of places to eat.

On NASA Parkway in Nassau Bay there is a Microtel Inn and Suites, The Hilton right on the shore of Clear Lake, then past the lake to the east is a La Quinta, A Hampton Inn, a Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Springhill Suites.

Then on Highway 146 (turn north from NASA 1) there is a Comfort Suites before the Port Road exit.

I will be there in a little over a week and will do a review of the area and the ship.

Edited by medicalma'am

Never heard of ship tour nor did I see anything but long term parking for cruise passengers. This area as someone else posted is VERY industrial. It's a ways down that road back to the road to Kemah and the main drag where NASA and the other things you referenced. It's also quite a ways from I-45. We went last month and didn't find any hotels that had parking/shuttle as a perk for a pre or post nite stay. Hence we stayed on GI and drove back the next morning and parked @ the terminal. There may be such hotel offerings now but I couldn't locate that in my research and I checked off and on for months. It would certainly be a draw to some of these hotels to offer that tho as several on GI do for departures over there.

Question: Do they have any short term parking???

We are taking my DD and SIL to the port and doing the tour of the ship excursion. I do not want to pay $80 for a few hours!!!

For the Bon Voyage Experience, day parking is in a short-term lot adjacent but separate from the main, paid parking.

Unlike some other ports, it's FREE.

Looking forward to your review...

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

FREE is good! My son in law called yesterday and was told that for the BVE parking would be $5. We will look for the adjacent parking lot though.

I am going to do a review of the area with pictures of hotels and attractions when I am there next week. The Clear Lake Area has so much to offer (I grew up in Clear Lake City) and my favorite, NCL, will have a ship there this year. I just want others to be informed and take advantage of what the area has to offer. I will post my review here and on the NCL boards.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from Galveston port and saw a lot of 29" bags being carried through check-in and not dropped off to be delivered whenever. Cannot locate this info anywhere about Bayport, so am wondering if anyone knows how big a bag will fit through the X-ray machines there. It is posted in Galveston that bags have to be less than 24 wide x 16 tall. Sure would be easier to carry it on and unpack sooner than later. Thanks for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a Caribbean Princess cruise. We flew in late the night before on Southwest into Hobby, so we decided to stay close to the airport. We stayed at the Hobby Airport Marriott and they had a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The Marriott was nice and had excellent customer service. The next morning we got picked up at 10:30 by a towncar ($70 for 3 of us to Bayport Cruise Terminal), and we were on the ship by noon. For our return we decided to do the Princess Transfers in case we were late due to fog, so we wouldn't have to call anybody to reschedule, etc. There was no fog delay for our cruise and we were off the ship and on the shuttle by 9:15. We were at the airport by 10:15.

Not sure if question about baggage is for Galveston or Bayport, but at Bayport we carried on our rolling luggage (typical size that you can carry onto a flight and put in overhead bin), and checked-in our larger bags. We had no problem with this. This allowed us to have dinner clothes, toiletries, etc. in case delivery of our bags was delayed.

Edited by birdie2
Adding comments