wine tour (just wine and vineyards!) in Messina

JRoeT

Hello! Haven't been to these forums in a loooong time. Nice to be back!

Will be on Med cruise in November and stopping in Messina one day.

Would like to do a whole day tour of vineyards / wineries only. I'm aware of options that include other stops that are not wine-related as well. However we'd like to do all wine for the day! Would love to do tastings, see the land/wineries, spend time outside, talk to vintners, have a picnic lunch, etc.

Any suggestions for group tours? OR, if we do a private tour, any suggestions for a tour operator that really knows the vineyards/wineries.

Thank you, All!

J.

JRoeT:

While I cannot recommend any of the tours here www.Sicilytourguides.net, they do have a day tour of the Mt. Etna wineries, the only one I could find when I was doing research for our vacation in Sicily this last May.

We ended up making an appointment for a wine and food tasting at www.vinigambino.it which is located outside of Linguaglossa and is one of the wineries included in the above day tour. They presented a flight of four whites and four reds along with large platters of a variety of meats, cheeses, roasted vegetables and bread.

Try Sicily Life Tours (sicilylifecom) We've used them a couple times in Messina and they've been great. I know that they have some "tours" that include wineries, but they are also really flexible and can tailor your day for you. Sebastiano has been great to work with - we're using them again this fall for Palermo, and he's fine to alter the plan! I was really hoping to be able to get to the Planeta winery in Sicily, but it's just too far for us out of Palermo this time.

I also know that Rome in Limo provides private tours from Messina. We had talked with Jany about it and then ended up going with Etna Experience for the ones that wanted to go only to Mt. Etna and a winery. I'm sure the ones mentioned could arrange just winery tours since there are so many in the area.

The winery my DD etc. went to was Gambino winery at the base of Mt. Etna. They brought us back some of the wine and it is extremely good. There's something about the volcanic soil that really makes a good wine. That was the only winery they went to. They did have lunch there and I think most of the winery's will set that up.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, I might suggest you read Palmento - A Sicilian Wine Odysey by Robert Camuto. It's his personal account of visits, tastings and discussions with winery owners in Sicily. It gives good insight into the "quirkiness" of Sicilian wine making. It also might help with a list of wineries you would like to visit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...