Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have found on all my cruises, all lines, that the desserts in the buffet look a whole lot better than they taste. Occasionally have a good one. Sad.....and not sure why! I don't like to cook but do a better job with sweets!

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

It seems to me the desserts are missing SUGAR! I know sugar is expensive, but seriously, you cannot make any decent chocolate dessert without sugar!!!!!

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian823 View Post
I suspect that the desserts in the specialty restaurants are pretty good. NCL VP Klaus Lugmaier should take notice.

Not IME. Friend and I each ordered different in Teppanyaki, Moderno and LeBistro. We agreed they were all below average. NCL could use some good pastry chefs!

The best dessert we had was the cheese plate in the MDR. It was average BUT it tasted like it looked; cheesy!

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=anandaindonesia]
Hmmmm.... what is your recommendation for desserts at MDR?

Just returned from our 2nd NCL cruise (cause we liked it so much better than our previous cruise line) in under a year. My husband is very picky about what he eats (he's a connoisseur of plain, not fancy food) and loves NCL's NY Signature Cheesecake. On our 2nd cruise we also discovered the Raspberry Truffle cake. He ordered one of each on the nights we ate in the MDR (both were on the menu every night and neither are available on the buffet). There were 5 us us traveling together and we all loved those two desserts. My 24yo daughter also fell in love with the Bread Pudding.

4/2013 - NCL EPIC -- (loved NCL, loved Epic)
3/2012 - CCL DREAM
9/2011 - CCL DESTINY
2/2011 - CCL FANTASY
5/2010 - CCL GLORY
1980'S - The Big Red Boat

Last edited by dales wife; January 14th, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

On Gem last May, we felt desserts were much better than a few years ago. It was our fourth NCL cruise. We liked it so much booked same for this May.

Old January 19th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3 View Post
I have found on all my cruises, all lines, that the desserts in the buffet look a whole lot better than they taste. Occasionally have a good one. Sad.....and not sure why! I don't like to cook but do a better job with sweets!
I don't enjoy cooking either, and love when someone else does it for me. I love the good old fashioned Jello from the buffet, as well as ice cream.

Old January 19th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3 View Post

The only problem we had with desserts on NCL were the amount of weight
we put on during our stay.... Takes lot longer losing those pounds and
even longer getting ready for the next cruise...

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDONCHICK View Post
I usually skip desserts in the MDR (though a sherbet or sorbet have been known to call out to me), I'd rather wait a while, digest and get a custom made crepe up in the buffet. Last cruise, the lemon & blueberry was a favorite.
We do this a lot as well.

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjikids View Post
On Gem last May, we felt desserts were much better than a few years ago. It was our fourth NCL cruise. We liked it so much booked same for this May.
We always find something. I heard that the Blue Lagoon has some good one. I am on the Gem for the 2nd time on 5/31. How about you?

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not to be missed. Chocolate Napoleon in LeBISTRO.

Old January 19th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love the banana bread and the crepes in the buffet. But also the chocolate fondue and creme brûlée at le bistro! Yummmmm

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
September 2010 Norwegian Sky Miami- Bahamas
October 2009 Royal Caribbean Venice-Greek Islands
May 2009 Norwegian Dawn NY-Getaway
October 2008 Norwegian Dawn NY-Bermuda
February 2006 Norwegian Majesty Western Caribbean

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have not been able to put my finger on it, but the last 5 cruises I have taken both Carnival and Disney lines. Many of the dessert offerings either tasted "off" , bland, institutional variety cheapness.

I mean how you make chocolate cake taste a chunk of bitter tree bark?

The unknown creamy goodness on the bottom of the Tiramisu was probably donated by a pod of sperm whales. This was this week on the Disney Magic. Yeah, ok mr miagi the chocolate sliver did look like a shark fin, buy yourself a new sand rake.

I hear all these pre-diabetic couch potatoes rave about how orgasmically delicious these assorted desserts are and I'd frankly like to know if they're taste buds have been fried from all the anti-depressants and bingo blotter ink they gargle with.

Fact is, my nine year old daughter makes better cake desserts with 3 year old passed expiration date Betty Crocker dry mix and her Easy-Bake oven. My labrador retriever would more likely lick his rear end than any dessert off their selections.

And they're all the same, there must be a Roach Coach or Sysco Robert-Orr facility that mass produces all of these little nasties.

Oh, and btw- both lines; the soft serve ice cream was heavily chalky and had hints of "wet dog". They chocolate in particular tasted of reconstituted generic style Ovaltine flavoring. Yukkkkk.

I would love to rub someone's face into a 1/2 gallon of ANY storebought brand of ice cream available.

I know of REMFS who were award meritorious bronze starz for serving slightly better ice cream to Infantry soldiers at FOB Bagram Afghanistan.

Gmafb

Last edited by Leatherlungz; January 20th, 2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Vienna sausage fangers gourn down I-75 at 85mph

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherlungz View Post
I have not been able to put my finger on it, but the last 5 cruises I have taken both Carnival and Disney lines. Many of the dessert offerings either tasted "off" , bland, institutional variety cheapness.

I mean how you make chocolate cake taste a chunk of bitter tree bark?

The unknown creamy goodness on the bottom of the Tiramisu was probably donated by a pod of sperm whales. This was this week on the Disney Magic. Yeah, ok mr miagi the chocolate sliver did look like a shark fin, buy yourself a new sand rake.

I hear all these pre-diabetic couch potatoes rave about how orgasmically delicious these assorted desserts are and I'd frankly like to know if they're taste buds have been fried from all the anti-depressants and bingo blotter ink they gargle with.

Fact is, my nine year old daughter makes better cake desserts with 3 year old passed expiration date Betty Crocker dry mix and her Easy-Bake oven. My labrador retriever would more likely lick his rear end than any dessert off their selections.

And they're all the same, there must be a Roach Coach or Sysco Robert-Orr facility that mass produces all of these little nasties.

Oh, and btw- both lines; the soft serve ice cream was heavily chalky and had hints of "wet dog". They chocolate in particular tasted of reconstituted generic style Ovaltine flavoring. Yukkkkk.

I would love to rub someone's face into a 1/2 gallon of ANY storebought brand of ice cream available.

I know of REMFS who were award meritorious bronze starz for serving slightly better ice cream to Infantry soldiers at FOB Bagram Afghanistan.

Gmafb
Sooooooo I guess you don't have a favorite dessert...

Old January 21st, 2014, 04:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I wasn't overly crazy about most of the desserts on our Gem cruise in November but some were pretty good. I actually really liked the coconut souffle and the Tiramisu in both the Magenta MDR and La Cucina. There was also a Blueberry cheesecake at lunch one day that was pretty decent.

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

My Previous Cruises:

10/08 Explorer of the Seas, Bermuda
10/03 Grand Princess West. Caribbean (HM)
10/02 Zenith, Bermuda (I miss this ship! )
5/00 Fascination, East. Caribbean
5/99 Zenith, Bermuda
6/98 Horizon, Bermuda
6/97 Zenith, Bermuda
8/96 Constitution, Hawaii
6/96 Meridian, Bermuda
1990 Fantasy, Bahamas
1989 Carnivale, Bahamas

Old January 21st, 2014, 05:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

I love the cheesecake. especially the strawberry topping. I always eat them with waffles for breakfast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0078 - Kopie.jpg (15.8 KB, 13 views)

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

I could recruit any small town elementary school lunch lady (hairy mole, warts and Jack Elam glasses) and I'm sure she would put some if not most cruise ship dessert chefs TO SHAME!!!

give me a budget, a tv camera crew and an undercover boss scenario and I could prove this

these f-tards couldn't make a caramel pie, strawberry cheesecake, heathbar cake, hot nanner puddin, etc if their life depended on it. Obviously their job doesn't require them as such.

SMFH

Old January 21st, 2014, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Desserts

Just off the Sun a couple of weeks ago. In the MDR I am with all those that said the bread pudding. And don't worry, it is on the dessert menu every night. What not to have? Anything that says sugar free. They are awful.

1986 March - Sitmar Fairwind, 1989 June - Regency Sun
1991 January - Costa Marina, 1993 January-HAL Westerdam
1995 January - HAL Westerdam, 1996 January-HAL Maasdam
1998 June - RCCL Rhapsody, 1999 Feb- Celebrity Galaxy,
2000 July - Orient Marco Polo, 2001 June - Celebrity Galaxy,
2001 Nov - Sea Princess, 2002 May - RCCL Radiance,
2002 August - Celebrity Constellation, 2003 July - Norwegian Sky,
2004 March - Norwegian Sea, 2004 June - Carnival Inspiration,
2005 February - Norwegian Sea, 2005 September - Star Princess,
2006 February - Carnival Victory, 2006 May - Pride of Hawaii,
2006 July - Norwegian Star, 2006 September - Carnival Victory,
2006 November - Norwegian Sun, 2007 February -Norwegian Sun,