Smoke Smell in Cabins

Dcoy

I see Cunard allows smoking in their cabins. As I'm a non smoker, do the cabins smell of smoke from past guests? I hate smelling smoke and the smell getting on my cloths.

Thanks

Don

Where can I smoke on board?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests on board has always been a key concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback we have received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regards to smoking on Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted inside any stateroom or public area with the exception of Churchill's Lounge* and designated areas on the open decks on all ships and the upper level of G32 on Queen Mary 2. Smoking is permitted on private balconies.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/posmoking1

. I was looking at their online 2013 Brochure which stated smoking was allowed in the cabins.

Don

Bad slip up if that's the case. Smoking in cabins has not been allowed for sometime.

David

Thanks for this update. I was looking at their online 2013 Brochure which stated smoking was allowed in the cabins.

Again thanks for this update, makes me feel better.

Don

Perhaps that's another sudden change? Would it be possible for you to share a link or quote from that brochure? Just to add that I have no problem with passengers smoking cigarettes in the privacy of their cabins.

Soft furnishings absorb smells like cigarettes badly. I can't imagine the smell of an inside cabin if the previous occupants were allowed to smoke in the room. Plus the fire risks.

Very true, soft furnishings do aborb smells. Not only cigarette smoke, but also perfume etc. Happily, the crew does an excellent job of removing previous occupant's "scents". I also am mindful about fire risks from those who bring kettles on board, curling irons, heated hair rollers, the odd shirt thrown over a lamp that sparked...

Yes. All those are fire risks. I remember walking into a hotel room where I can only imagine the previous occupants must have pulled an all nighter. Alcohol, smoking and probably those pay for view movies. The room smelt disgusting.

Perhaps that's another sudden change? Would it be possible for you to share a link or quote from that brochure? Just to add that I have no problem with passengers smoking cigarettes in the privacy of their cabins.

I have a huge problem with people smoking in cabins, as a bad asthmatic it can be very dangerous for me, I can smell smoke at a 100 paces and it sets me off.

I have a huge problem with people smoking in cabins, as a bad asthmatic it can be very dangerous for me, I can smell smoke at a 100 paces and it sets me off.

Smokers can never understand what the problem is, they are so saturated with smoke that they don't realise that the nons can pick them out across a large room. Most hotels have smoking and non smoking rooms, but Cunard has just made them all NS.

Balconies can be bad if you are downwind.

David.

I don't mind smoking as such, but in an open environment. I am old enough to remember when people were allowed to smoke on planes, but "please refrain from smoking cigars". I do remember as a young adult coming home from dinners out, with very red eyes and hair and clothing saturated with smoke. Those were the days when everyone (except me, I've never smoked) lit up the cigarette. I had to have surgery on both eyes in my late twenties as I had growths on them which were caused by irritants and smoke was one of those (pterygiums - common in blue eyed people).

If you book a balcony you still risk(probably will have) a smoking

neighbor.:mad:

To be honest I did not even think about smoking when we booked cruise, only been on Celebrity and that was non smoking apart from a little corner on deck.

So used to non smoking in public places in the UK that we have been spoilt, I have even stopped going to European Football games as the smoking is awful in the stadiums.

Lets hope the wind is going the right way for me! lol

Quite! I also have a massive problem with people smoking anywhere near me. Plus, it is just about the most disgusting, nauseating and offensive stench - no to mention downright dangerous - that you can encounter in a civilised society.

Plenty of previous threads on this, always brings out the pro-smoking lobby - cue, "we have a right to smoke........etc, etc". Can't quite believe Salacia said she didn't have a problem with people smoking in cabins - they'd need extensive fumigation and replacement drapes/furniture before letting anyone else near them!

I sailed on QM2 for several years before smoking was banned in cabins. Yet we never had a cabin that smelled of smoke. I suppose Cunard had some special way of cleaning the cabins, but whatever they did worked. BTW, my husband stopped smoking 15 years ago so he is acutely of the smell. We never encountered a problem in any cabin we had - but that is just our personal experience. Anyway, it's a moot point since smoking in cabins isn't permitted.

I sailed on QM2 for several years before smoking was banned in cabins. Yet we never had a cabin that smelled of smoke. I suppose Cunard had some special way of cleaning the cabins, but whatever they did worked. BTW, my husband stopped smoking 15 years ago so he is acutely of the smell. We never encountered a problem in any cabin we had - but that is just our personal experience. Anyway, it's a moot point since smoking in cabins isn't permitted.

I'm not sure how they used to clean out the smell but I remember being in one cabin that was not pleasant, and their solution seemed to be to use scented air freshener to cover it up - not good as I'm allergic to many chemicals in perfumes, so I worry as soon as I smell air freshener. I am so glad that smoking in rooms is no longer allowed.

Last time I was on QM2 the smell in our cabin was unbearable. We had to prop the balcony and cabin doors open to get a rush of air through.....it still reeked for the whole trip though. Steward was unconcerned and just sprayed air freshener about...yuk, floral scented fag smoke now.

On QE2 they had an ozone/deioniser, don't know if that's the correct term, but it certainly worked.

Those were in the days when each deck had a houskeeper, and a word with the steward brought her to the cabin. She said it would be sorted out while we were at dinner, and it was.

David

On QE2 they had an ozone/deioniser, don't know if that's the correct term, but it certainly worked.

Those were in the days when each deck had a houskeeper, and a word with the steward brought her to the cabin. She said it would be sorted out while we were at dinner, and it was.

David

Well that was Cunard at it's best. I really cannot get a grip on why all staterooms are now smoke free, yet one is still permitted to indulge on the balcony......very dangerous for those who haven't got a clue and mostly throw the butt ends over the rail, and it does happen.

They quite happily provide ashtrays for those passengers who wish to smoke on their balcony. I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of flicking the butt over the rail when there's a perfectly good ashtray within easy reach.

Archived