Disney Magic - Free Soft Drinks ???

delirious9876

The easiest way to think about it is that anything served as "fountain service" is included with the cruise fare. Anything served in a can will come with a charge ticket.

The included beverages are available at the beverage station (24/7) and dining rooms during the hours they are open.

The deal is not ANY coke product is included; it is those at the beverage station. Additional products are available from a can for a charge.

The stands next to the theaters sell soda and popcorn. Get your soda somewhere else and bring it to the theater.

Correct--the soda by the theater is in cans (although they will happily pour it into a glass for you). Anything that comes in a can has a cost; if it is fountain service, it is included in the cruise fare.

• 2 months later...
That is a nice perk. I don't think any of the other lines give free Coke.

Disney charges at least $1000 more for their cruise fare than the other lines (most of them, and most of the time, not always) so that's $1000 minimum for "free" Coke. And the location of the soda fountain isn't convenient, unless you're already at the pool.

They way I look at it is that it is a perk on DCL.

RCI will be offering inclusive (not free) skydiving simulator, bumper cars and that pod thing that goes up and over the ship on the Quantum.

Will the price of a cruise fare on the Quantum match the price of a cruise fare on the Fantasy? Who knows?

All cruise lines offer something unique to each other, be it the service, attractions, entertainment, ports etc and each will charge the maximum price they can.

It's your money, so spend it with whom ever you feel you will get the best bang for your buck with!

But nothing is free, it IS inclusive or complementary. Someone, them, you or a distributor/manufacturer is paying for it.

ex techie

A former president of the cruise line told me that it cost DCL 1 million dollars per year in lost revenue from the mug plans when they instituted the beverage stations, but it was more than worth that in the good will it generated. And that was when there were 2 ships involved!

As above, each line/ship will offer what it believes will attract customers or be seen as a perk. It has become a competitive market over the last 15 years!

While is it not true DCL cruises always cost $1,000 more then the other lines, in fact DCL cruises are even less then the others lines at times (ok not to often!) and with specials.:D

It is true the cost of the sodas are in your cruise fare and the rest is the special and unique vessels, entertainment and cruise experience that the dcl deliveries to its guests. The *Disney Experience * the *magic* and the *pixie dust* that other lines cannot come close to.

So yes, it is a nice little perk! Along with bring your own beer, wine and Whiskey, etc. onboard.;)

AKK

Disney charges at least $1000 more for their cruise fare than the other lines (most of them, and most of the time, not always) so that's $1000 minimum for "free" Coke. And the location of the soda fountain isn't convenient, unless you're already at the pool.

I've only paid $730 for my 11 night DCL cruise so I don't think that's true :)

I've only paid $730 for my 11 night DCL cruise so I don't think that's true :)

To be fair to MizDaisy, your fare of $730 must be per person for your cruise and at a very good off season discounted rate. I think the $1000 more was on a regular cruise, mid-season with a family.

I'm sure her comment was regarding general rates with comparable cruise lines.

ex techie

Mokies Momma was totally correct. The prices vary line to line and Disney is often much cheaper then some here like to admit. Not to mention sometimes cheaper then the other lines.

This has been reported on a number of sites.

Right now its been advertzed, Carnival line, with all its problems is giving away some cruises for as little as $29.00 a day. Believe me when I say they cannot survive at those rates. RCL is having its problems as well. Its been noted in the industry the new Quantum of the Seas is going to the far east because they cannot fill her enough here, without emptying the other vessels, especially the other Large monster vessels. They were committed to the vessel and this is their only choice.

My point is that its not that DCL is charging so much, but that for now the other lines are charging less to get passengers on their vessels.

My opinion is your going to see a big reduction in vessels and beds to fill and the rates will then start raising.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Let me put it this way, then.

One time on a cruise, our friend's little girl said she loved being able to eat "free" ice cream all the time, to which her mother replied, "It isn't FREE, it's INCLUDED".......

Everything on the cruise (almost....so don't get picky with me here, you know what I mean....not photos, spa, souvenirs, etc) is INCLUDED in the fare you pay. The more you pay up front, the more perks you'll find. On any line.

Want a suite and all its perks? Pay more. Want an inside room? Pay less.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule. I could probably dig through some of my 20+ cruises (on all lines) and find one that was more expensive than a Disney cruise. But that depends on the season, the going rates at the time, the type of room I was in, the length of the cruise, etc.

Either way you look at it, the soda is NOT free, and it's not available in an area that is always convenient. I don't see how that can be debated.:confused:

Let me put it this way, then.

One time on a cruise, our friend's little girl said she loved being able to eat "free" ice cream all the time, to which her mother replied, "It isn't FREE, it's INCLUDED".......

Everything on the cruise (almost....so don't get picky with me here, you know what I mean....not photos, spa, souvenirs, etc) is INCLUDED in the fare you pay. The more you pay up front, the more perks you'll find. On any line.

Want a suite and all its perks? Pay more. Want an inside room? Pay less.

Either way you look at it, the soda is NOT free, and it's not available in an area that is always convenient. I don't see how that can be debated.:confused:

Absolutely correct--the soft drinks are included in the cruise fare, not "free." And I once told my daughter that if I ever saw a soda on her bill (meaning she was too lazy to walk to the beverage station to get one) it would be the last cruise she'd ever do on my nickel. No debate.