Anchorage

Homer

Kodiak

Hubbard Glacier

Sitka (tender)

At Sea!

Victoria, BC

Seattle, WA

We are avid runners (my husband is running the Boston Marathon next weekend for the second time). I'm interested in good running routes in any of these ports of call.

I'm also interested in good hikes in any of the ports of call that would be child friendly (we have girls aged 6, 5, and 3 who love to hike).

• 1 month later...

We leave this weekend on a 7 night inside passage, so just Juneau- which we will do an excursion, Skagway- which there is a lot of hiking trails (maybe run them?), and Victoria- which we will go running.

Not quite as avid of runners as you are. Ok- not really close now that we don't train for anything in particular. But we will run.

We do plan on a run in Seattle Friday- no routes planned, yet.

We leave this weekend on a 7 night inside passage, so just Juneau- which we will do an excursion, Skagway- which there is a lot of hiking trails (maybe run them?), and Victoria- which we will go running.

Not quite as avid of runners as you are. Ok- not really close now that we don't train for anything in particular. But we will run.

We do plan on a run in Seattle Friday- no routes planned, yet.

Please let us know what you end up doing?? We've never been to the Pacific Northwest and are excited to RUN! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

So a light running review of our trip:

Seattle- super easy to run. Our hotel was downtown, so we ran along the waterfront all the way past where the ships dock. If you want or need hills- they are all over the place as well. Great city to work out in.

Juneau- it appears that this is a good place to run, but we did not, as we were doing a whale watching, glacier hiking tour. The hike wasn't too hard, so all in all, we didn't get a massive work out.

Skagway (which I hope is similar to Ketchican for the OP)- had a great time there, and didn't really scratch the surface of working things to do. We started doing a simple run, which really meant going out of town (since it's small). Doing that, I ran by a garden that I thought was a lot farther out- and in there, the hostess suggested a route up a hill and to a lookout- GREAT! Hard run, but we ended up at a spot that tours go- picture two runners among people getting off of small busses. :D We stopped for a bite at the same place, where we got another suggestion for a non-nomal hike- past the end of the airport. Really cool thing to do. And there is still tons of hiking trails that we didn't even start. really want to return.

Victoria- another great town- from the port, there's a trail that goes out of town for at least 3 miles, and it's easy to keep going. Doing that, plus a senic run down the pier + a loop into town was a very nice 9 miles. The run back into town was kind of tight, but we were ok with that. Great town to run in.

that's all I can review, since that's all we did.

• 4 months later...

There are two ship terminals in Seattle. One is more downtown and will have easy access to the waterfront for a nice run. You may just have to zigzag through the tourists.

The other terminal is in Magnolia, and the trail through Myrtle Edwards park is nearby. I'm just not sure who they're are connected. Once you get to the top of Myrtle Edwards park, there's a nice long path south along the water to the Olympic Sculpture Park and on to the waterfront.

Oh - I just saw that you've already sailed. Well this post will help future runner/cruisers. :)

Edited by DVCTiff