Cruise Etiquette: Guide to How To Act/Not Act Onboard

thecruiserofships

I have been blogging various tips on how to act and not act onboard cruise ships over the past few months.

Ā 

Part 1:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2013/08/cruise-etiquette.html

Part 2:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2013/09/2.html

Part 3:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/1/post/2013/12/cruise-etiquette-part-3.html

Ā 

Do you have any ways that you think people should act onboard?

Which of my suggestions for acting have you seen people break or not follow the most?

We allow the people on the elevator to get off before we get on the elevator. We don't break in line at the buffet. We say excuse me, thank you and you're welcome. We don't make extraordinary requests from the room steward or the waiters. We don't hog the chairs on the pool deck. We don't save chairs at the shows because we arrive together. We don't push to get on or off the tenders. We are so happy to be on a cruise that you can't wipe the smiles off our faces and we find that by just relaxing, being patient and smiling, we get treated in kind. It's pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...
We allow the people on the elevator to get off before we get on the elevator. We don't break in line at the buffet. We say excuse me, thank you and you're welcome. We don't make extraordinary requests from the room steward or the waiters. We don't hog the chairs on the pool deck. We don't save chairs at the shows because we arrive together. We don't push to get on or off the tenders. We are so happy to be on a cruise that you can't wipe the smiles off our faces and we find that by just relaxing, being patient and smiling, we get treated in kind. It's pretty simple.

Ā 

So glad to read you allow others to exit an elevator BEFORE entering, I wish more ppl did that. It's extremely rude to try to get into a usually crowded elevator without allowing others to exit.

AMEN, nothing more than good common sense.

Ā 

Just to add a little humour, it seems that when we were on Zaandam, a couple of teen age boys put a table on an elevator and sat behind it. At each stop, they asked the persons attempting to board if 'They had a Reservation':D

I don't know how long this lasted.:)

Ā 

john

Love this, thank you! This is everything I was ever taught as a child, and I mean since age FOUR!! Soooo sad this very basic, common sense kindness and courtesy is actually something just met with a blank stare by some very young folks today. They've never seen it, let alone been taught basic values...

Ā 

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Just to add a little humour, it seems that when we were on Zaandam, a couple of teen age boys put a table on an elevator and sat behind it. At each stop, they asked the persons attempting to board if 'They had a Reservation':D

I don't know how long this lasted.:)

Ā 

john

Ā 

As a teen one of the cruises we were very naughty and would out random things in elevator, and plan weird games. Haha oh I had almost forgotten about doing that till you posted this!

Ā 

Ā 

I personally am thrilled to see that manners haven't totally been forgotten. A little consideration for your fellow passengers goes a long way in my book!!

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Ahh Elevator Etiquette... something you acquire in the city. Here is a basic one, that I see people do in cities, but no where else. If you are standing in the front of the elevator, and someone else is getting off before you, step out of the elevator step to the side, and place your arm over the door so the sensor is covered. This will not only hold the elevator for you but also stop aggressive elevator doors from closing on the person trying to get out.

Also, I prefer to be at the front of the elevator, as I like to be the first person out of the elevator. If you choose this coveted spot, this also possibly makes you the door holder for the rest of the elevator trip, as well as the button pusher. You can rightfully claim the front spot and still maintain etiquette, but only if you agree to above terms.

• 3 months later...

Don't grab the first thing you see or cut in line at the buffets. There will still be food there when it's your turn.

Remember to say please and thank you to the people who work on the ship taking care of us each and every day. They watch us with our loved ones while they are missing their own families, sometimes for months at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Runner2013, you touched on a good point! The crew, just the general staff, usually responds wonderfully with just a kind word or two! I've found on sea days, that starting a conversation with any member of the staff can be an experience in itself . Normally very friendly and willing to share where they're from and about their families and their lives from far away countries and islands, a nice experience just to know that you've reached out to them, and they'd have had the chance to get to know you too. You can learn wonderful little life snippets and meet charming people just from the general cruise staff! [emoji2]

Don't get angry or irate when something goes wrong deal with sympathetically to who you are dealing with as remember they are just doing their job

Ā 

Also poor service or attitude could just be an off day

We all have them. Don't ruin someone's job over an err of judgement on an off day

Ā 

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

I am a single parent of a 14, almost 15, year old boy. One of my greatest pleasures is to have a stranger tell me how polite he was to them or someone near them.

Ā 

I find that some people forget basic good manners when in vacation mode. I think we need them most when we are in confined spaces or in crowded places. It makes my day when I can do something nice for a stranger. I love those feel good moments. (If you are leaving the pool or beach, offer your chair in the shade to a family with little ones. Not only do they appreciate the kindness, it will make you feel good about the day. )

Ā 

Life is full of great opportunities. I wish more people embraced them.

I am a single parent of a 14, almost 15, year old boy. One of my greatest pleasures is to have a stranger tell me how polite he was to them or someone near them.

Ā 

I find that some people forget basic good manners when in vacation mode. I think we need them most when we are in confined spaces or in crowded places. It makes my day when I can do something nice for a stranger. I love those feel good moments. (If you are leaving the pool or beach, offer your chair in the shade to a family with little ones. Not only do they appreciate the kindness, it will make you feel good about the day. )

Ā 

Life is full of great opportunities. I wish more people embraced them.

Ā 

Ā 

And also to look at the good in life and not be negative and complaining on everything

I love your outlook

I do the same

Ā 

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Ā 

DITTO! I wish more people had this mentality and outlook! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Advice traditionally given to an aspiring knight:

"Treat your lessers as your equals, your equals as your Betters

and the King and Queen with the respect due to Sovereigns".

Ā 

Works for most circumstances, including cruising.

Edited by capncarp