Anyone tried Tauck for river cruise?

doglover214

I was on my first Tauck river cruise, Bucharest to Amsterdam, in May/June of this year.

By it's very nature, one should not expect an on-board experience, for example dining, comparable to the three Ocean Cruise Lines you mention.

What I experienced was a thoroughly enjoyable river cruise during which both Tauck, and Scylla, ensured that extremely high water levels had minimal impact on our cruise schedule.

The quality of the entertainment that was brought on-board at various ports of call was excellent.

The Gala Evening in Vienna was truly memorable.

If you have been on Crystal, Silversea, and Seabourn, then you are accustomed to top-notch cruising. Tauck has a similar reputation for top-notch river cruising.

But be careful when trying to compare river cruises with your past cruise experiences. While they are both cruises, and have some similarities, they also have distinct differences. Top-notch river cruising still is not quite to the same level as top-notch traditional ocean cruising. That shouldn't deter you from taking a river cruise; just have realistic expectations.

My wife and I took our first river cruise with Tauck last year. Our prior cruising experience was mostly Regent, Crystal, and Oceania. We found differences, but immensely enjoyed the river cruise, and found Tauck service to be excellent. When we do another river cruise, we will surely look at Tauck first. We wrote about our Grand European River Cruise here:

http://www.1mpages.com/ReviewTauckRiverCruise.html

Hopefully you will find it interesting and helpful!

Such a wonderful writeup about your Tauck experiences! Thank you. We happen to be going on AMAwaterways in October, but read your article to see what Tauck was about and because we'll be going to some of the same places. Well done! Kudos!!:)

I noticed that no one has mentioned anything about tipping bus drivers on excursions for river cruises. We did that on mostly day long ocean cruise excursions. We know it's all paid for by the cruise lines, but just wondering if a little extra for the guide and driver, if they go above and beyond what's expected, might be given.

I noticed that no one has mentioned anything about tipping bus drivers on excursions for river cruises. We did that on mostly day long ocean cruise excursions. We know it's all paid for by the cruise lines, but just wondering if a little extra for the guide and driver, if they go above and beyond what's expected, might be given.

This, I believe, is a very personal thing particularly for Americans. Tauck includes everything in the price you pay upfront and that includes all tips to local guides and bus drivers. If you wish to give them something and I didn't see anyone do so on our trip then go ahead. To me that seems to be "an American thing".

This, I believe, is a very personal thing particularly for Americans. Tauck includes everything in the price you pay upfront and that includes all tips to local guides and bus drivers. If you wish to give them something and I didn't see anyone do so on our trip then go ahead. To me that seems to be "an American thing".

I am an American and I was wondering this as well! On our all of our large ocean cruises I tip a little extra each day to our room steward to show my appreciation for all the extras he does for us. Does the room steward take care of stocking our mini fridge, bringing snacks, etc.? Should I leave him a little extra tip each day? Having never been on a river cruise-I am a little unsure of tipping practices. Does Tauck take care of all the tipping or should I plan on taking care of some of it(like Tour Directors)?

I am an American and I was wondering this as well! On our all of our large ocean cruises I tip a little extra each day to our room steward to show my appreciation for all the extras he does for us. Does the room steward take care of stocking our mini fridge, bringing snacks, etc.? Should I leave him a little extra tip each day? Having never been on a river cruise-I am a little unsure of tipping practices. Does Tauck take care of all the tipping or should I plan on taking care of some of it(like Tour Directors)?

Tauck does take care of all the tipping required on a river cruise and I'm sure you would not be considered a demon if you did not tip extra. The Scylla staff onboard are multi-tasked and you'll see them doing a number of different tasks during your trip. I have many American friends who seem to me to tip everyone automatically no matter what the circumstances. As an Australian I don't so I'm am more than pleased that Tauck include all the tips.

Thank you all for your input.

At this point, we are considering both AMA and Tauck. We are doing a day by day comparison to see the differences in the trips, since there is a considerable cost difference.

So far, one of the large differences is that Tauck has hotel stays in both the beginning AND end of the trip (Prague and Budapest). AMA has only a hotel stay in Prague. The confusing thing is that both are advertised as 12 day trips. (I did notice that Day 1 for AMA is when you board your plane in the US. Day 1 for Tauck is when you arrive in Prague).

Tauck, unlike many other tour companies, considers Day 1 as the actual first day it starts, not the day you leave home. Calling Day 1 the day you leave home has always seemed like a misleading marketing gimmick to me. And that is a small example of many little details that sets Tauck apart from others.

My input to the tipping discussion:

It really is more appropriate to compare gratuity practices on Tauck river cruises to other Tauck tours, not to other non-Tauck traditional cruise lines. On Tauck land tours, gratuities are included for everything except the Tour Director and driver. Guests rarely tip extra to local guides, local drivers, hotel staff. But gratuities are almost universally given to the Tour Director and driver, and sometimes quite generously. I found that most river cruise guests followed these same guidelines even though Tauck states that on river cruises also include gratuities for the Cruise Director and the Tour Directors. Perhaps this reflects the fact than many Tauck travelers are repeat customers and know the routine.

Tauck river cruises include all gratuities, and they state that this includes "ship staff, drivers, local guides, Tauck Directors and Tauck Cruise Director". One of the other little things that sets Tauck aside is that they really do mean this. Tauck has a good reputation with these people; my understanding is that Tauck takes good care of them. Because of this, Tauck seems to be able to attract the better ones.

On our 24-day Grand European cruise with Tauck, there were only a few isolated instances where anyone gave tips to local guides or drivers; the vast majority did not. We did hear about a number of people giving tips to their stateroom attendant, but this was not routine; it was done when service was felt to be above and beyond.

However, many people gave extra gratuities to the Cruise Director, and to the Tour Directors. During a conversation I had with one of them, I asked about this. He told me that these gratuities are not expected, but definitely appreciated and are not uncommon, which matched what I observed.

We do regret not giving a gratuity to the Hotel Manager of our cruise, whose name was Marina. She was one of the Scylla staff. She was a very hard worker, and excellent at her job. Other than the Captain, it's clear that she ran the ship, and was responsible for keeping the level of excellence Tauck expects. And we did observe many instances where she went above and beyond in her duties.

Tauck river cruises include all gratuities, and they state that this includes "ship staff, drivers, local guides, Tauck Directors and Tauck Cruise Director". One of the other little things that sets Tauck aside is that they really do mean this. Tauck has a good reputation with these people; my understanding is that Tauck takes good care of them. Because of this, Tauck seems to be able to attract better ones.

How do you know that other companies do not pass the gratuities on and what other cruise lines do you base your comparison of tour guide quality?

How do you know that other companies do not pass the gratuities on and what other cruise lines do you base your comparison of tour guide quality?

I don't think I said that other companies do not pass the gratuities on; sorry if my post wasn't clear. The point I wanted to make was that I have been on other cruises (and land tours) where gratuities were advertised as included in cruise fare, but there was still an expectation that gratuities would be forthcoming directly from the guests. I did not find that on our Tauck river cruise.

Have been on both Seabourn and Tauck: both are "first class" companies although I would agree that there is a significant difference as relates to ocean versus river cruising. Both companies, however, have bragging rights when reviewing shore tours, service, food, and other amenities. Also, most passengers of either Seabourn or Tauck are well-rounded, informed, and seasoned passengers which makes for great conversations!

• 1 month later...

Dog Lover 214 - I just wanted to answer your question regarding the post-cruise portion of your trip in Budapest. I have done the Prague to Budapest Danube cruise (with hotel nights and tours in Prague) with AMA two times and wrote lengthy reviews of both trips. You can find them on this website.

I do not think it's necessary to do a post-cruise stay with the cruise line, but I do think it is essential to spend time in Budapest when you finish your cruising itinerary. Budapest is a fabulous city which is also quite easy to tour on your own (or with some local guides). Using cruise line hotels booked through the cruise line is far more costly than doing it without their help. There are many excellent hotels in Budapest, many right on the Danube, and prices are amazingly affordable, so while there will be other differences between Tauck and AMA, the post-cruise hotel question should not be your deciding factor. If you'd like help, please feel free to ask!

We are booked on the Tauck Budapest to Prague westbound cruise in May. I just noticed yesterday that all the cruises in May are filled for all the westbound and eastbound except there is limited space May 27th westbound.

This appears to be par for the course.

I had to book my cruise for May this year 12 months in advance.

One of the 'rewards' with Tauck is that having made one cruise entitles one to a free night in a pre- or post cruise hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been long-time ocean cruisers (Regent) and have recently become interested in doing a Tauck combo-tour, about half the time on the boat (Swiss Emerald I think, maybe Sapphire) and the other part on land (France and London). I know that on river boats we'll need to give up the luxury of the large cabins (with king bed) on Regent; that's fine (for a few days). What concerns me is that I've read that while Tauck books good hotels, the actual rooms that their guests get are the not-so-great ones: the smallest in the hotel; no views, etc. That's something that we'd be very bothered by.

I'm hoping that experienced Tauck travelers can comment.

Thanks-- and happy travels to all.

Hi Poss,

Currently packing in Hong Kong before returning to Australia after our latest Tauck adventure. We've just recently concluded the Tauck "French Escapade - Paris to Monte Carlo" and I can assure you that the rooms we received at both the Intercontinental la Grande in Paris or the Fairmont in Monte Carlo were small second rate rooms. Both rooms were large by European standards and had adequate views. If you booked a Tauck Cat 7 suite on the boat (we didn't) you were guaranteed a room with an ocean view at the Fairmont.

I can honestly say that the view from the hotel window was not something I took seriously but I recall a view of the Opera and the streets of Paris and in Monte Carlo a nice garden that fronted our balcony.

I'll do a full review upon my return in a couple of days.

Rod

Tauck, unlike many other tour companies, considers Day 1 as the actual first day it starts, not the day you leave home. Calling Day 1 the day you leave home has always seemed like a misleading marketing gimmick to me. And that is a small example of many little details that sets Tauck apart from others.

My input to the tipping discussion:

It really is more appropriate to compare gratuity practices on Tauck river cruises to other Tauck tours, not to other non-Tauck traditional cruise lines. On Tauck land tours, gratuities are included for everything except the Tour Director and driver. Guests rarely tip extra to local guides, local drivers, hotel staff. But gratuities are almost universally given to the Tour Director and driver, and sometimes quite generously. I found that most river cruise guests followed these same guidelines even though Tauck states that on river cruises also include gratuities for the Cruise Director and the Tour Directors. Perhaps this reflects the fact than many Tauck travelers are repeat customers and know the routine.

Tauck river cruises include all gratuities, and they state that this includes "ship staff, drivers, local guides, Tauck Directors and Tauck Cruise Director". One of the other little things that sets Tauck aside is that they really do mean this. Tauck has a good reputation with these people; my understanding is that Tauck takes good care of them. Because of this, Tauck seems to be able to attract the better ones.

On our 24-day Grand European cruise with Tauck, there were only a few isolated instances where anyone gave tips to local guides or drivers; the vast majority did not. We did hear about a number of people giving tips to their stateroom attendant, but this was not routine; it was done when service was felt to be above and beyond.

However, many people gave extra gratuities to the Cruise Director, and to the Tour Directors. During a conversation I had with one of them, I asked about this. He told me that these gratuities are not expected, but definitely appreciated and are not uncommon, which matched what I observed.

We do regret not giving a gratuity to the Hotel Manager of our cruise, whose name was Marina. She was one of the Scylla staff. She was a very hard worker, and excellent at her job. Other than the Captain, it's clear that she ran the ship, and was responsible for keeping the level of excellence Tauck expects. And we did observe many instances where she went above and beyond in her duties.

Tauck includes arrival and departure days as part of their "count." At least that's what I saw on a tour I'm interested in for 2015 (Seine Southbound)

Rod: Were or were not second rate rooms? And thanks for responding.

Edited by poss

They weren't second rate rooms to us Poss. To give you an example we found a notice on the door of our room at the Intercontinental in Paris that advised us that the rate for our room was 862 Euros per night.

To add to what BlewWater said - Taucks's first day of the tour is the day you arrive and is accompanied by a meet and greet cocktail function followed by dinner. This different to some companies that start the tour the day you leave home.

Edited by Ozjohnno
addition

They weren't second rate rooms to us Poss. To give you an example we found a notice on the door of our room at the Intercontinental in Paris that advised us that the rate for our room was 862 Euros per night.

That is exactly what has been reported to me by my Tauck clients as well.

To add to what BlewWater said - Taucks's first day of the tour is the day you arrive and is accompanied by a meet and greet cocktail function followed by dinner. This different to some companies that start the tour the day you leave home.

I usually have to book clients on Tauck cruises before the pricing comes out because once pricing comes out, the sailings are often sold out. Tauck has a great policy on booking prior to pricing releases - if you're not happy with the price, you get your cruise deposit back AND your insurance premium as well.

I just heard from my clients on a 30 day Tauck cruise pkg. and they said Tauck is going over & above their expectations. (For comparison, they're used to cruising with Seabourn for ocean voyages). In many, many aspects, I know of no other company that takes care of it's passengers like Tauck does.