Travel scoot seat uncomfortable ?

mamaofami

I agree, the seat feels very hard after you sit in it for a short while. I think the seat is the weakest point of the scooter as I like everything else. This is what has worked for me. I took the seat to an auto/boat reupholstery shop. They sell Sunbrella fabric. We had them reupholster the seat and added about 2 inches of additional foam. It is so comfortable now. This cost $60 for the seat and seat back. I didn't like the vinyl material on the seat and it was not well upholstered anyway as the edges were just stapled. I am very pleased with this change.

Katisdale, I've been thinking of having my Travelscoot seat reupholstered too and that was a great idea to add cushioning! Hope to get it upholstered in a nice bright leather color....:D

I think you should use a bright florescent pink with florescent green trim :D

( gramma ann )

I think you should use a bright florescent pink with florescent green trim :D

( gramma ann )

LOL I was thinking the same thing...or bold zebra strip! Actually I am taking it to an auto upholstery shop today. Their on-line website shows samples but I am hoping they have more of a selection once I am there. On-line there is a purple that I like :)

I agree, the seat feels very hard after you sit in it for a short while. I think the seat is the weakest point of the scooter as I like everything else. This is what has worked for me. I took the seat to an auto/boat reupholstery shop. They sell Sunbrella fabric. We had them reupholster the seat and added about 2 inches of additional foam. It is so comfortable now. This cost $60 for the seat and seat back. I didn't like the vinyl material on the seat and it was not well upholstered anyway as the edges were just stapled. I am very pleased with this change.

What a great idea! I was thinking in my mind where I could get it done...and then I thought of our daughter! She has a canvas sewing machine as she makes cushions, canopies, curtains, pillows, etc. (using Sunbrella) for their boat! I have some Nantucket red Sunbrella I bought on ebay that I gave her...knowing I'd find a use for it!

I just dropped off my seat at a reupholster and they are opening up the seat and adding foam cushioning. I should have come back here and read more carefully and found out about the sunbrella fabric. I hope this works. Picking it up tomorrow.

I am not 100% sure and I'm not going across town to ask as the guy I used isn't good about answering the phone but my husband and I think he added to what was there. He could not use the vinyl that was there as it was then too small and I am very pleased with the sunbrella fabric as it seems to "breathe" more than the vinyl.

Mine is also in the shop but I opted for purple vinyl "leather" look. They had to order the fabric so sure hope it is done before our cruise though I now have a "back-up" as I purchased a used scooter from a friend that I am keeping at the office....but I prefer the Travelscoot.

• 3 weeks later...

That is awesome, Carol. Love the fabric. :cool: I've looked on-line for auto reupholstery but haven't come up with anyone close. Wonder if a regular reupholstery place could do it? I don't see why not!

I agree with everyone else....the only weak point of the TravelScoot is the uncomfortable seat.

I found this upholster under ship and boat upholstery, but they do regular work too and put foam in a cover we have on a living room chair.

There's two extra inches of foam in there. I didn't add anything on the back. Can't wait to try it out.

Archived