Baby Beach

louteejay

• 1 month later...

We were at Baby Beach on 8/6/14. After wading out to the roped off 10+ft depth area located in southeast portion of the lagoon, I was amazed to see literally millions of some type of ~3” long silvery fish schooling. I don’t know if they are there all the time or this was a unique situation. When my children would dive down among these fish, you could watch them in unison first part around the swimmers, and then in unison reform the school. It was incredible to watch, and something I’d only seen previously in films and documentaries. If you swim further out to the rocky inlet, the water become somewhat shallower, and all sorts of colorful fish can be observed. No boat is required. Near the parking lot and attached to the JADS dive shop there is a decent beach restaurant serving sandwiches ($8-$14), soft drinks, cocktails, and beer. Seating is outdoors and under cover. They have very clean bathroom facilities free for patrons. Right on the beach, there appeared to be a more rustic looking snack shack along with some restroom capability. However, having lunch at the restaurant I previously described, I did not really investigate the situation thoroughly. Chairs and umbrellas are available to rent from beach vendors. We just left our stuff on one of the permanent palapas installed at the beach for free while we snorkeled. Baby Beach was certainly one of the highlights on our stop at Aruba.

• 4 weeks later...
GoldenDomer, can you tell me how yall got to Baby Beach and what it cost pp? Also, will there be snorkeling gear there to rent? Thank you

Smokester- as we were in Aruba from 8AM to 11PM, we rented a jeep. You can read my summary here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064481

I imagine taxi fares from the pier will run ~$40-60 each way. Search the boards for more accurate estimates. If you are not planning to do any off-roading in Arikok and time allows, you might do better renting a small sedan. We brought our own snorkel gear, so I did not make an effort or notice whether gear was available for rent on the beach. There is a JADS Dive shop adjacent to the beach, which likely offers rental gear. I'd call to confirm however. Good luck.

A taxi from Oranjestad to Baby Beach is $38 each way. That is for up to a maximum of 5 people and add an additional $3 each way on Sunday or a National Holiday. Pre-arrange for a return pick up.

An alternative within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal is to take the public bus from the main terminal in Oranjestad to San Nicolas. Once in San Nicolas the bus company offers a shuttle van from the S. N. bus station directly to Baby Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

All below are accessible by public bus, with Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove and Arashi beach being the furthest from the port. Take the public bus and ask the bus driver to drop you off wherever you wish. It will literally be a few foot steps onto the beach. If you are at Boca Catalina the bus runs "about" every hour. It is all dependent upon how many stops the bus makes along the way. Keep an eye out for it heading north and you can gather your things and be ready after it goes up and turns around at Arashi.

You can take a taxi to any of these beaches, but for a return pickup DEFINITELY pre-arrange it. There will be few if any taxis passing by looking for a fare. A taxi from the cruise terminal to Arashi Beach would run about $23 for a maximum of 5 people. Add an additional $3 each way on Sunday or National Holiday.

North of Palm Beach, by bus or taxi, there is a small beach at Boca Catalina which is perfect for swimming and snorkeling. There are a few shade palapas here but no restroom facilities. There are no "real" rest room facilities at all along the coast at either BC, Catalina Cove or Arashi. Though from what I understand, port-a-potties were a recent addition to Arashi beach as well as chaise lounge rentals. It is a beautiful white sand beach if only to get away from the hubbub of the Marriott.

Below is Arashi Beach on a day with a few waves, it can be very calm here as well. Limited shade available for those who arrive early.

arashi_beachh_thumb.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

Arashi Beach is again pictured below. You can enter here and swim south towards and around the rocks and there is a reef there on the other side.

arashif_thumb.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

It is a fairly easy walk street side from Arashi southward to Catalina Cove and then Boca Catalina. Malmok beach is further to the south. There is no shade at Catalina Cove. There is very limited shade available at Boca Catalina. Arrive early.

Below is Boca Catalina

boca_catalinaa_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

If you enter at above, Boca Catalina there is a plain white sandy bottom. On some days, early in the morning, you will be able to see your feet. Put your fins on and walk backwards into the water or walk in as far as you need, sit or get into a crouched position and put your fins on there. This is the easiest spot for a beginner.

The snorkeling is a bit better at Catalina Cove below, though it is rocky which makes for a difficult entry. We normally enter the water at Boca Catalina and swim northward due to the difficult entry here at Catalina Cove pictured below.

catalina_covea_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

Catalina Cove, I would definitely put your fins on before entering and just walk backwards as best as you can. If one of you has more tender feet than the other, have the tough foot wade in without, holding your back so you do not fall.

I have further information and photos of this area here.

When we head to Boca Catalina to snorkel there are always other tourists there. It is a popular spot for those folks staying at apartments or villas to have beach access. Dh and I generally ask someone to keep an eye on our towels and of course never bring anything valuable in the first place.

There is a minuscule beach at Malmok. This photo is from 2 years ago. There was less beach here this past June. There is no shade at Malmok with the exception of a few small trees.

malmokf_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

We are not big fans of Baby Beach and never go there when we vacation on the island. But it is popular with some snorkelers and OK for beginners who can stay on the beach side of the rocks where the water is somewhat sheltered. There are often quite a few fish although there are sometimes more people then fish :).

For more advanced snorkelers we always head out to Arashi, which we can do on the inexpensive local bus. Getting to Baby Beach is not so easy and is best done with a rental car. On Arashi, an experienced snorkeler can swim out to the same reef area visited by many snorkel tours. In fact, its easy to find the best snorkel areas by simply working your way out to the tour boats (which are always there in the morning...if a ship is in port).

Just a word about Arashi, since it was already mentioned by myself and another in this thread. There are no facilities at Arashi (other then some picnic benches). No bathrooms, no food for sale, no chair rentals, etc. If we go there when on a cruise (when we stay on the island we always have a car which changes everything) we take an early bus out to Arashi and spend about 2 hours snorkeling (its a pretty long swim from the beach to the best snorkel area). We then catch the bus (only about one per hour) over to Eagle Beach where we spend most of the afternoon relaxing (in a rented chair) and having some lunch and drinks. This would also work for those that prefer Palm Beach...in fact one could actually walk from Arashi to Palm Beach if they do not mind a 1 1/2 mile stroll.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner