Parramatta hotel for Sydney

Lolotte

Parramatta is a long way to travel each day for sightseeing in Sydney! You'll spend (waste) a lot of valuable sightseeing time just getting back and forth.

What are you looking to spend on accommodations? If you provide that info, you might get some suggestions of places to stay in Sydney that's within your budget. (I'd rather stay in a less-nice place in Sydney itself than a fancier place in Parramatta.)

Nothing wrong with Parramatta, but it's a long way into the city (about an hour plus by train) so it depends on what you are wanting to do and how long you are staying for.

Also where are you embarking?

Parramatta is actually only half an hour by train. It's also a lovely ferry ride along the river. Not a bad place to stay if you don't want to stay in the city, but, of course not quite as good as staying right in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...

We are cruising from Sydney in January and found accommodation very expensive. Came across a B&B on trip advisor with breakfast included, very good reviews called Mariners Court Hotel about a 20 minute walk to the rocks. Hopefully will be OK and certainly a cheaper option!

For those who are familiar with Sydney, I'm looking at an apartment on Woolloomooloo Wharf. Is this a decent area to stay?

Yes. The wharf is affluent, with restaurants on the wharf, and is next to Harry's Pie Cart, a Sydney icon, which is opened until the wee hours every morning, so is a hive of activity.

It is close to the CBD through the Botanical Gardens, past the Art Gallery of NSW.

Whilst I have walked through the area, at night on my own, I wouldn't walk too far from the waterfront.

We are cruising from Sydney in January and found accommodation very expensive. Came across a B&B on trip advisor with breakfast included, very good reviews called Mariners Court Hotel about a 20 minute walk to the rocks. Hopefully will be OK and certainly a cheaper option!

What is the address of the hotel? I think it may be at Wooloomooloo near Wooloomooloo Wharf. If so, see my comments to Wine-O.

Yes it is there, I just looked - address is McElhone St, Woolloomooloo. Your comments on the area are very reassuring - and I think the kids will love the pie shop!

I think I know (the outside of) the place. A bit out of the way, and 'secure.' Fine if you know where you're going, and fine during the day to head out to the city or wherever you're going. It's a nice walk to the city. In the evening better to head up to Potts Point if wandering around.

Thanks so much for your help. We plan to spend the afternoon down at Circular quay. Our son was only 3 years old when we were last there and is now 12. Is Potts Point far to walk from our B&B? Would there be nice places to eat there?

Thanks again

Tracey

Thanks so much for your help. We plan to spend the afternoon down at Circular quay. Our son was only 3 years old when we were last there and is now 12. Is Potts Point far to walk from our B&B? Would there be nice places to eat there?

Thanks again

Tracey

Potts Point if a popular place for good restaurants and cafes. You can either walk up a lot of stairs, or walk around the road to Potts Point. Bus route 311 stops near the wharf and along Macleay Street Potts Point, where the restaurants are. There is also a Woolworths there.

http://www.sydneyexpert.com shows you the route of 311 from Central Station, but there is another route via the waterfront.

If you enjoy musical theatre, there is a wonderful small theatre, Hayes Theatre, at Potts Point on the bus route.

Parramatta is actually only half an hour by train. It's also a lovely ferry ride along the river. Not a bad place to stay if you don't want to stay in the city, but, of course not quite as good as staying right in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be staying with friends before joining a cruise in Sydney. We had thought about staying a night in Parramatta before embarking. Will it be easy to take luggage on the ferry? And can you suggest a hotel within a suitcase drag of the ferry please?

Thanks very much

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We will be staying with friends before joining a cruise in Sydney. We had thought about staying a night in Parramatta before embarking. Will it be easy to take luggage on the ferry? And can you suggest a hotel within a suitcase drag of the ferry please?

Thanks very much

Hi, yes it would be easy to take luggage on the ferry (Rivercat). Both the Park Royal hotel, Parramatta and Meriton Serviced apartments (Church Street property) are, at most, a 5 minute flat walk along Phillip Street to the ferry wharf. Alternatively the Novotel is on the other side of the river with a slightly longer walk. All properties are very close to a great selection of restaurants and are approximately a 10 minutes flat walk from the train station. It is doable however you need to be aware that the ferry doesn't leave from the wharf at low tide - you will travel part way on a bus!!!

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Rusty1963

Hi, yes it would be easy to take luggage on the ferry. The Park Royal hotel, Paramatta is, at most, a 5 minute flat walk along Phillip Street to the ferry wharf. Alternatively the Novotel is on the other side of the river with a slightly longer walk. Both hotels are very near loads of restaurants and approximately a 10 minutes flat walk from the train station. It is doable however you need to be aware that the ferry doesn't leave from the wharf at low tide - you will travel part way on a bus!!!

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks Rusty1963,

That is brilliant.

Does the bus transport you to a different ferry stop?

Think I need to check tide tables now, hadn't considered that!

Cheers

Thanks Rusty1963,

That is brilliant.

Does the bus transport you to a different ferry stop?

Think I need to check tide tables now, hadn't considered that!

Cheers

Yes, from memory the ferry terminates at Rydalmere at low tide . A bus service then connects between these two ferry stops.

My preference would be the Meriton Apartments with the Park Royal a close second.

Yes, from memory the ferry terminates at Rydalmere at low tide . A bus service then connects between these two ferry stops.

My preference would be the Meriton Apartments with the Park Royal a close second.

Thanks again.

Just had a quick look at Meriton apartments and looks like a good price. It is close to Christmas when we sail so was ready for a big price so pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again.

Just had a quick look at Meriton apartments and looks like a good price. It is close to Christmas when we sail so was ready for a big price so pleasantly surprised.

Hi Kristal Blade

There are 2 Meriton properties in Parramatta- make sure you are looking at the one in Church Street and not the George Street one - it's a bit further away and not shiny new, although it is spotlessly clean.

This link might help with low tide info

http://tides.willyweather.com.au/nsw/sydney/parramatta-river--homebush-bay.html

Cheers

I was looking at George Street. Will go back and check out Church St now.

I love doing holiday homework [emoji432]

Sorry, the George Street property is a little closer - apologies

Ha ha, will get back on it!

Was thinking it was much further down George Street than it is. I've never been good with my bearings - my wife will testify to that!!

Enjoy your cruise. I've got to wait until March for our next one, although have a 3 week trip to Blighty before hand!!

Hope you get some of the heatwave we have been promised when you come here. In Devon it is 3 days rain 2 days sun right now.

We have 5 cruises booked between now and August 2018 but 3 of those are down under.