Dunedin - Taieri Gorge

theborg89

Hi all

First time poster alert! Also a first time cruiser... Too many firsts!

I'm on the Dawn Princess around NZ in April and looking at Dunedin's Taieri Gorge Railway but there is a vast difference between booking it as a shore excursion ($310) and organising it individually ($90). I understand there is food and it leaves from the port as opposed to the CBD; however, surely this is a rather exaggerated pricing?

Wondering if anybody here has had experience as to whether it is worth it booking via the cruise or doing it individually is fine....

Thanks!

I've just returned home 3 weeks ago from the Golden Princess to NZ. I did the Taieri Gorge train on my own. From where the ship docks in Port Chalmers, there were shuttle buses provided for $15 return to Dunedin. The bus dropped off at the Octagon in central Dunedin, and from there it was a very short walk to the railway station. I was one of the first people off the ship when we docked, took the first shuttle bus leaving from port, and I arrived at the railway station with plenty of time to spare before the train departed. I purchased my ticket on the day itself at the ticket counter. Although, if you have already set your heart on this, I would recommend pre-booking to avoid disappointment.

It is so easy to do on your own, and at one-third the price of the ship's shore excursion! Sure, the ship's organised tour has complimentary food and alcoholic drinks, and leaves from the port. But there was food (pies, sandwiches, coffee, bottled drinks, etc) available to purchase on the train at very reasonable prices.

Do it yourself.

Email the railway and ask if there is a special shuttle direct to the station. There was when we did it. There is also a short town tour you can do after the train trip from Dunedin that drops you off right at the ship.

So the only real advantage is that the train departs from the ship and you get a boxed lunch, for $300:eek:

No brainer.

Hi all

First time poster alert! Also a first time cruiser... Too many firsts!

I'm on the Dawn Princess around NZ in April and looking at Dunedin's Taieri Gorge Railway but there is a vast difference between booking it as a shore excursion ($310) and organising it individually ($90). I understand there is food and it leaves from the port as opposed to the CBD; however, surely this is a rather exaggerated pricing?

Wondering if anybody here has had experience as to whether it is worth it booking via the cruise or doing it individually is fine....

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic & congratulations on planning your first cruise! I'm glad to see you've already received two replies to your inquiry - the community here is beyond wonderful, kind and fun...you can always count on our members to help you.

Dunedin was a favorite when I was visiting on South Island, NZ - such a charming, pretty town with an abundance of nature to explore too.

I've seen numerous posts here echoing the thoughts of these members...take a shuttle into the central business district & a very short walk right over to the rail station - save your money, it's very doable on your own.

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic - we're happy you're here, look forward to seeing you again - you've definitely come to the right place! :)

Because there was another ship docked along with us in Dunedin, the Taeri Gorge rail trip was closed to independent bookers. Some of our roll call mates were able to take the coastal train instead of forking over the big bucks for the cruiseline-sponsored excursion.

Because there was another ship docked along with us in Dunedin, the Taeri Gorge rail trip was closed to independent bookers. Some of our roll call mates were able to take the coastal train instead of forking over the big bucks for the cruiseline-sponsored excursion.

Yes, that can be a problem. The train does have limited capacity.

Another alternative is a tour up the Otago peninsula to the Albatross Sanctuary, Penguins, and Larnoch Castle. Stunning scenery there too.

Yes, that can be a problem. The train does have limited capacity.

Another alternative is a tour up the Otago peninsula to the Albatross Sanctuary, Penguins, and Larnoch Castle. Stunning scenery there too.

I did the Otago Peninsula tour - it was exciting! Best of all was how clever the viewing was planned so that visitors get great views of the habitats but the without any disruption to the creatures, as it should be. One of the yellow-eyed penguins, however, made the choice to come see US...it was his/her molting season and for whatever reason, the penguin decided to be inside the tunnel we used to crawl through to the overlook (to watch the penguins return from their daily swim) so there s/he was! The guide ensured everyone was silent so as not to alarm the penguin.

To view the albatross the best view was from the water - maybe some might not be excited for this coming from a cruise ship, I was land based - and also see the seals and sea lions sun bathing on the shore....just beautiful, in nature, not a ZOO! Tough to find the words to describe seeing an albatross 1) just get ready to fly 2) then go ahead and do it ....3) yes, it's priceless.

New Zealand *IS* natural beauty so Dunedin is a great place to soak that up, but then anywhere in NZ is...one of the most magical places on earth. Consider the Otago Peninsula for your shore excursion - gorgeous. #JustSaying

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the Taieri Gorge rail trip right off the ship at the I site ( information site), you have to get off the ship right after docking. The I site was set up in a tent by the exit to the port. They gave us a ticket to the same shuttle buses that HAL was using and the first couple of shuttle buses stopped at the railroad station. The Station is spectacular and the train is a cute old diesal locomotive. The train left at 9:30 and returned at 1 pm. The journey was ok but I don't think spectacular. We rode through alots of ugly areas that have been deforested by the lumber companies. It a shame they didn't leave a wall of pine trees to block this deforestation. Dunedin is a neat little city to wander around. There is an excellent Museum and a botanical garden

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker

We booked the Taieri Gorge rail trip right off the ship at the I site ( information site), you have to get off the ship right after docking. The I site was set up in a tent by the exit to the port. They gave us a ticket to the same shuttle buses that HAL was using and the first couple of shuttle buses stopped at the railroad station. The Station is spectacular and the train is a cute old diesal locomotive. The train left at 9:30 and returned at 1 pm. The journey was ok but I don't think spectacular. We rode through alots of ugly areas that have been deforested by the lumber companies. It a shame they didn't leave a wall of pine trees to block this deforestation. Dunedin is a neat little city to wander around. There is an excellent Museum and a botanical garden

Yes the public train usually goes at 9.30 (runs 20 minutes behind the the ships train) and returns at 1.30 giving you plenty of time fir more sight seeing.

Regards the experience, i could say the same for the train into the Yukon from Skagway Alaska. Both however, are incredible pieces of engineering and you need to get out onto the viewing platforms to fully experience the journey.

Cant recall any ugly parts of the Taeiri rail.

Yes the public train usually goes at 9.30 (runs 20 minutes behind the the ships train) and returns at 1.30 giving you plenty of time fir more sight seeing.

Regards the experience, i could say the same for the train into the Yukon from Skagway Alaska. Both however, are incredible pieces of engineering and you need to get out onto the viewing platforms to fully experience the journey.

Cant recall any ugly parts of the Taeiri rail.

I think they just harvested tons of pine trees along the route but it is before you get to the gorge.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies and the warm welcome! I have booked the trip online myself instead of the cruise organised one as it does seem more logical.

Very much looking forward to it... Even if the 10-day forecast says rain haha.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies and the warm welcome! I have booked the trip online myself instead of the cruise organised one as it does seem more logical.

Very much looking forward to it... Even if the 10-day forecast says rain haha.

Thanks!

Dont worry if it rains. All the more spectacular with waterfalls.

Heard today from one of the NZ tour operators that they expect a third train to be available for independent bookings beginning in 2017 when more than one cruise ship is in port (like our Jan 31st date). They will let me know when/if this becomes a reality--will update accordingly.

• 1 month later...

We did this train last year. We were on RCI. Their cost was $209USD. We booked this on the stop before, Wellington I think. We went into the tourist office and booked the train trip for under $100AUD. per person.

Here were the differences:

1. There were two trains. The cruise ship train came right to the dock. The tour did not go quite as far on the rail as we did, not a big deal. The cruise ship tour included a box lunch and a 175ml. bottle of wine pp. We spoke to some people who said it was so so. They were not very happy as they had found out what the independent price was.

2. We had to get a bus from the dock to the train station. No biggie. About $5. each. It was waiting at the dock and took us to the rail station. We had about a 1/2 wait. Lots of other cruisers did the same.

3. Had the train ride, it was narrated. Stopped at a little town. The local service club set up a bbq. We had sausage on a bun. Then walked around town..went in the pub. This was a public tourist train. Not the same train as the cruise excursion but the same trip.

4. Some people had purchased an independent tour package that included pickup at the dock, transfer to the rail station, and the train trip itself. Not sure who the provide was.

Bottom line...save you money, pass on the ship excursion and do your own.

Consider booking early..either on line if possible or go into a NZ tourist office. They seem to have one in every town and they are staffed by very helpful people.

Hope this helps.

cheers

• 1 month later...