Four days in Sydney

4774Papa

Planning two RCL cruises out of Sydney. There are four days between the cruises. We have been to Sydney in 2013 on a Celebrity cruise that started at Perth and ended in Sydney.

We would like to visit Melbourne, but with only four day between cruises, not sure we want to do that.

I know flying is the best way to get there, but after flying from the East Coast of the US, we just don't want to fly again.

Is there a train from Sydney to Melbourne?

Also, if we don't go to Melbourne, any suggestions. We have already been to Brisbane, the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley.

Yes there is a train but it takes quite a few hours. I understand you not wanting to fly again, as I avoid flying too if I can. But Melbourne is only an hour or so and there are numerous flights a day.

Could I suggest Canberra as an alternative. Don't know if you are inclined to drive but if you are, you can go directly to Canberra and then cross to Batemans Bay on the south coast and drive back to Sydney on the scenic route. Otherwise there are trains, buses, tours going to Canberra.

There are 2 daily services between Sydney and Melbourne.

travel time 10 to 12 hours.

Trains offer First and Second Class (with next to no difference in comfort).

From either end there is a morning and evening departure, the latter one offering a sleeper service.

There is no dining car as such, but a moderately priced buffet with hot and cold snacks and meals and beverages.

No smoking on the train.

One-way fares can be as low as AUD 30 p.p.!

Perhaps consider a train ride one way and a the flight other.

It is a quite pleasant ride, (especially if you buy two seats for the extra space and privacy, as I did )

From memory, all seating faces in the direction of travel.

Australia's capital, Canberra is quite interesting for a one-night / 2 day visit.

There are several organised tours from Sydney available, as well as frequent long-distance coach trips rom Sydney's central train station's coach terminal/

Drive takes 4 to 6 hours, depending if there is a stop between the cities or not.

Edited by buchhalm
missed a crutial word!

I did some research and found many day tours of Canberra. Can't find a tour that includes Canberra and something else in the south of NSW.

I could do the car rental, but then I would not have a tour guide.

Perhaps we will do the day trip to Canberra one day, then Hunter Valley again for a second and then spend the third day in Sydney.

Planning two RCL cruises out of Sydney. There are four days between the cruises. We have been to Sydney in 2013 on a Celebrity cruise that started at Perth and ended in Sydney.

We would like to visit Melbourne, but with only four day between cruises, not sure we want to do that.

I know flying is the best way to get there, but after flying from the East Coast of the US, we just don't want to fly again.

Is there a train from Sydney to Melbourne?

Also, if we don't go to Melbourne, any suggestions. We have already been to Brisbane, the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley.

There is a train.

About 13 hours my kids use it a bit.

So that's nearly two of your days gone. Down and back.

Edited by GUT2407

I'd recommend renting a car, driving to Canberra and sightseeing there for 2-3 days and then perhaps driving the coastal road back to Sydney.

Having lived for several years in Canberra, I can attest that there is more than enough to see and do for several days. If you like art and museums, there's the National Gallery of Australia and the National Museum of Australia. If you like history, there's the fabulous Australian War Memorial and Lanyon Homestead. If you like native animals, you can get close-up views of them in the wild at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve or on the easy Yankee Hat Hike in Namadgi National Park (where you can also see aboriginal rock art). If you like good food and wine, you'll find it there too. See: http://www.visitcanberra.com.au

While I don't think a guided tour is necessary in Canberra, there is a HO/HO tour that you could take one day to get the lay of the land and then on subsequent days, you could visit the various sites on your own.

I'd recommend renting a car, driving to Canberra and sightseeing there for 2-3 days and then perhaps driving the coastal road back to Sydney.

Having lived for several years in Canberra, I can attest that there is more than enough to see and do for several days. If you like art and museums, there's the National Gallery of Australia and the National Museum of Australia. If you like history, there's the fabulous Australian War Memorial and Lanyon Homestead. If you like native animals, you can get close-up views of them in the wild at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve or on the easy Yankee Hat Hike in Namadgi National Park (where you can also see aboriginal rock art). If you like good food and wine, you'll find it there too. See: http://www.visitcanberra.com.au

While I don't think a guided tour is necessary in Canberra, there is a HO/HO tour that you could take one day to get the lay of the land and then on subsequent days, you could visit the various sites on your own.

Yeah I'd second Canberra as a good suggestion, except it's full of politicians.

Yeah I'd second Canberra as a good suggestion, except it's full of politicians.

I agree that in this case, a 2/3 day visit to Canberra by car would be appropriate.

The War Memorial is a must see and can occupy a full day or 2 half days.

Lots of good hotels around.

I agree that in this case, a 2/3 day visit to Canberra by car would be appropriate.

I also agree with these. It seems almost perfect for the OP.

You definitely do not need a guide for Canberra. All you need is a guide book, a car and a decent map. Some of the locals even speak English!

Lots of good hotels around.

Parliament Houses (old and New)

The Zoo (stay at the hotel if the budget allows)

Telstra Tower

You could fly to Melbourne, rent a car, and drive up the Great Ocean Road.

We picked up a car, drove through Melbourne and then the Great Ocean Road. Dropped the car at Melbourne Airport and took a flight back to Sydney.

Did the flight on Tigerair, lower cost budget airline. Service was just fine.

Melbourne is a beautiful city.

You could fly to Melbourne, rent a car, and drive up the Great Ocean Road.

We picked up a car, drove through Melbourne and then the Great Ocean Road. Dropped the car at Melbourne Airport and took a flight back to Sydney.

Did the flight on Tigerair, lower cost budget airline. Service was just fine.

Melbourne is a beautiful city.

We just don't want to fly anymore after the long flights from the East Coast of the USA.

Still considering a day tour of Canberra or renting a car. I have driven on the left while in England.

We just don't want to fly anymore after the long flights from the East Coast of the USA.
Both Canberra and Melbourne are short flights from Sydney. Barely an hour's flying to Melbourne, and on a good day only about half that to Canberra. The Qantas terminal (T3) at Sydney is really very comfortable and calming, and the terminal at Canberra is pretty much the same. Security is never any form of hassle at any of these points. It is really very, very easy.

In fact, it's so easy that when I'm in Sydney, I'm perfectly happy to pop down to either place just to have lunch or dinner with someone.

Edited by Globaliser

• 2 weeks later...

We are also looking for something to do prior to our 2018 TP cruise. These ideas are perfect for us, since we have toured much of eastern OZ.

We are also looking for something to do prior to our 2018 TP cruise. These ideas are perfect for us, since we have toured much of eastern OZ.

Great, we hope to see you on the cruise. We are still undecided about renting a car. I am comfortable driving on the left, since I have do that in England.

Still, I found some great one day tours from Sydney to Canberra so we would not have to move hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
Great, we hope to see you on the cruise. We are still undecided about renting a car. I am comfortable driving on the left, since I have do that in England.

Still, I found some great one day tours from Sydney to Canberra so we would not have to move hotels.

I am also planning on this cruise and the one on the Radiance with the four day in between...at the moment looking into. Hotel and activities....I am traveling solo and want to see what is easy for me...

I am also planning on this cruise and the one on the Radiance with the four day in between...at the moment looking into. Hotel and activities....I am traveling solo and want to see what is easy for me...

Have you been to Sydney before?

If you haven't, I suggest the following:

1) one day tour to Blue Mountains

2) one day tour to vineyards of Hunter Valley

3) Tour of Sydney that includes Harbour and Manley Beach.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Sydney-Day-Tour-with-Optional-Sydney-Harbour-Lunch-Cruise/d357-2230S17

https://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Sydney-Day-Tour-with-Optional-Sydney-Harbour-Lunch-Cruise/d357-2230S17

I'd add a trip to Canberra and suggest including Taronga Zoo in number 3.

Thank you for the suggestions.....first time to this area......can you suggest a hotel....again thank you

Thank you for the suggestions.....first time to this area......can you suggest a hotel....again thank you

It really comes down to tastes budget and location, together with any loyalty points you might have.

Having said that

Can't Beat Oark Hyatt or Pier 1 (Marriott) but costly.

Holiday Inn the Rocks is great if you are leaving from the OPT, also close to ferries and trains at Curcular Quay.

Meriton appartments are nice because you get more room and kitchenette / laundry.

We like The Grace for a lovely Building in a convenient location at a lower price point.

... first time to this area ...
If it's your first time in Sydney, and you only have four days, then forget the Blue Mountains, forget the Hunter Valley and forget Canberra. You'll more than fill your time in Sydney without spending a lot of time travelling to these other places.