Stupid question, but.....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:20 AM.
Ct
289 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
When you talk left and right of a ship..do you mean looking at the ship from the front or standing on deck looking forward?? I'm not ship smart.
4,208 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Facing forward with the ship looking left (port) or right (starboard)!

Hope this helps!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:[email protected]">here</a href>

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!
n/a Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lem:
When you talk left and right of a ship..do you mean looking at the ship from the front or standing on deck looking forward?? I'm not ship smart.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Lem

If you are standing in the middle of the ship looking toward the pointy end (bow) with the square end behind you (stern) the left side is port and the right side is starboard. The area between midship (where you are standing) and the bow is called the forward area and the area behind midship and the stern is called the aft area.

Char

click <a href="mailto:[email protected]">here</a href> to send me an e-mail
4,208 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
You're welcome!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:[email protected]">here</a href>

CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!
Jacksonville, FL USA
47,298 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
hi Rosie

Another easy way to remember...the smokers are permitted on the Port Side, not bringing it up for any other reason except for directions folks LOL
In the lounges, at the pool, etc...they have designated areas...and it is Port or Left.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising
Ct
289 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I knew port was left, I just didn't know if it was left (looking at ship from the front) or left (standing on ship facing front). Thanks all.
Ohio
1,314 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I asked my DH the same question yesterday. We ahve sailed many times and I felt really stupid asking the question on the board.
Thanks for the info.
Ohio
1,314 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
upI asked my DH the same question yesterday. We ahve sailed many times and I felt really stid asking the question on the board.
Thanks for the info.
Fredericksburg, VA USA
5,301 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
A little trivia

This is a repeat from several months ago, but in honor of the DVD release of Master and Commander, The Far Side of the World, I'll add that in the old sailing days, they used larboard instead of "port" for the left side of the ship. They use "larboard" in M&C, so unless you are a sailing expert (or you read these message boards) you wouldn't know what they were talking about!

They think the origin is from either 13th century English or Norse words meaning "loading side".

And now we return to your regularly scheduled program...

Theron

click to e-mail me
Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western
Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:
http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/
199 Posts
Joined May 2003
Lem

As we all know there is no such thing as a stupid question. However there is such a thing as a stupid answer. Hope this helps!!

Millie Med. Cruise

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
</center>