When do most of you book your tours?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Greece Ports
Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:23 PM.
50 Posts
Joined May 2012
We are going to the Eastern Mediterranean in September. We don't want to use the ship's tours. (Celebrity). When do you usually book tours? Can you do it from the ship? Should I be doing it from home? Part of the reason I'm asking is because I don't know whether to include the cost of the tours (if they're not refundable) in my traveler's insurance.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
28,873 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
This coming September? Hope the excursions are still available as the off season starts. Otherwise they may already be booked. Booking from the ship assumes availability, spends expensive onboard internet time.

If you have to cancel your cruise a week or some similar time in advance, excursions of all types can be canceled without penalty. Have never heard of non-refundable excursions in Europe- most aren't even paid in advance. So not sure you need insurance. Your loss would be small, relatively. The insurance is more critical for the costs of the cruise and the airfares, which can be nonrefundable in certain cases and at certain times.

We booked our private excursions many (4-6) months in advance. But that was for August/September, more peak times.
Corpus Christi Texas
9,535 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
The sooner the better.

As posted, most are not paid in advance and most do not even ask for deposit.

Have you done your research ? Know who you want to use and what you want to do ?

If not, I'd get busy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NEXT UP: 9/3/16 SILHOUETTE Amsterdam to Rome - 12 nights

So far: 11 cruises - 5 Royal Caribbean, 4 Celebrity, 1 Princess & 1 Holland America

Life is short ..forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably... and never regret anything that made you smile
USA
8,952 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Book once you know what you want to do. If it is independent vendor the earlier the better as they aren't like the cruiseline big bus, usually a few drivers and vans for the vendor at the most, once filled up they are full.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: 1999, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015 Disney: 2000 Carnival:2005
Greenville, SC, USA
51,768 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I am on a b2b2b in October in the Eastern Med. I have three private tours booked thru the Roll Call for my cruise. I am most of the way thru planning the DIY for the rest of the ports. By the time I leave, I expect to have detail instructions for each port. How to get where were we want to go. What it will cost, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Virginia Beach,VA
737 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
For private tours book as soon as possible!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*Working on my bucket list one port at a time and spending my kids inheritance one cruise at a time *

*Carnival Dream April 2019-7 days Carib- New Orleans RT- Honduras, Belize, Cozumel
*NCL Pearl Oct 2018- 5 days Pacific Coastal- Vancouver to LA- Victoria BC, Astoria Oregon
* HAL Eurodam Feb 2018- 7 days W. Carib- FLL RT- Half Moon Cay, Jamaica, Cayman, Key West
* Carnival Sunshine June 2017-5 days Bahamas- Norfolk RT- Nassau, Freeport
* Carnival Sunshine Oct 2016- 8 days Carib/Bahamas-Norfolk RT- Nassau, Dominican Rep, Turks & Caicos
* Carnival Splendor May 2015- 5 days Bahamas- Norfolk RT- Nassau, Freeport
* Celebrity Millennium Feb 2014- 14 days S.E. Asia- HK- to Singapore- Macau, Lantau Is, Vietnam, Thailand, 3 weeks side trip to Philippines
* RCL Splendour OTS Oct 2012-7 days Greek Isles-Venice RT- Bari, Kusadasi, Corfu, Santorini, Katakolon, side trip to N. Italy, Prague, Austria, Germany
* Celeb Constellation Nov 2011-14 days Holy Land-Istanbul to Barcelona- Kusadasi/ Marmaris Turkey, Athens, Rhodes, Israel, Valleta Malta
* Star Princess Aug 2010- 11 days Baltic-Copenhagen RT- Sweden, Finland, St. Petersburg, Estonia, Poland, Norway
* RCL Enchantment OTS May 2010-6 days Bermuda- Norfolk RT- Bermuda
* HAL Eurodam March 2010- 7 days E. Carib- FLL RT- St Thomas, San Juan, Turks & Caicos, Half Moon Cay
* Carnival Imagination Nov 2009-3 days Bahamas- Miami RT- Nassau
* RCL Voyager OTS Oct 2007- 7 days W. Med- Barcelona RT -Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sicily
* HAL Maasdam Dec 2006-11 days S.Carib -Norfolk RT- St Thomas, San Juan, Dominica,St Kitts, Barbados, HM Cay
* HAL Zuiderdam Aug 2006 - 11 days Alaska Cruisetour /Yukon
land tour from Anchorage to Denali, Fairbanks, Yukon, Skagway; cruise Skagway- Vancouver
northridge calif. usa
1,841 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
we never book tours in advance. we wait for the mass exodus from the ship and take local transpo into town or pick up a driver right at the pier. 30 cruises and wonderful experiences no matter where we have been.