Fisherman Island Grain Terminal

gone2c

Hi, I am jumping in on this thread too. We are booked on a cruise next year on Rhapsody. From what I can see, we dock in same place. I was planning on renting a car from budget (which looks like its in walking distance from Portside) but now I am not so sure this is the best way to go. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. My main goal is to cuddle a koala for this port.

Edited by ALCHRYS

Hi, I am jumping in on this thread too. We are booked on a cruise next year on Rhapsody. From what I can see, we dock in same place. I was planning on renting a car from budget (which looks like its in walking distance from Portside) but now I am not so sure this is the best way to go. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. My main goal is to cuddle a koala for this port.

Join the club for wistful koala lovers, who have discovered their ship is docking at the Grain terminal Fishermans Wharf! There is a thread on another aussie board where some options for getting to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary are discussed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1698246

I did a map search on car hire near Fishermans and nothing close - it is in an industrial / commercial wharf area. Still searching! In the meantime planning to taxi there and possibly cruise plus taxi back- damn the expense! The HAL ship tour is not attracive - only a short time at the Sanctuary. The RCL shore tour may be better???

BTW for gone 2C RCL do provide a shuttle - mentioned in several port reviews in Cruise Review Section - $27 or $30 each way.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/ports/brisbane-cruises/

Colleen

Edited by cjm66

Colleen,

Thanks for the link.

The shore excursion doesn't excite me either. I really don't want to be herded with others and rushed as I have spent 25+ years dreaming of going to Australia. There was a koala at our zoo when I was 12 and damned if I wasn't hooked.

After doing more research, it is my understanding that the shuttle will take us to Hilton Brisbane. From there a short 10 min walk will get us to a Budget car rental. Then it is a 20 min or so drive to Lone Pine where I can spend time my way.

Does HAL have a shuttle?

2map.jpg

For overseas cruisers here is a map of the Brisbane port and river that may help.

The City of Brisbane is upriver.

Portside, where smaller ships who can get under the Gateway Bridge dock is situated at Hamilton and is the main cruise terminal.

Fishermans Island is at the mouth of the river and the larger cruise ships dock here ,at the Grain terminal that also has a passenger terminal.

Shuttles will be provided from each facility into the City of Brisbane. I have been at FI twice now and each time it was a different arrangement. Once it was free and we were charged the next time. Each cruise line will make their own arrangements with the transport companies on the day and you will be advised on board.

David,

Thanks for the map. That really helps. Since you have been there before can you tell us how long the trip is from FI to the city? I am trying to decide if it is worth the trouble to hire a car.

Thanks for the info

Thanks kiwi Kruzer. I will grab that map and copy and drop it onto our roll call thread. Your guess about timing is probably close. The taxi calculator has estimated 34 mins to the Cultural Centre Pontoon. Colleen

Edited by cjm66

I will be on Celebrity Solstice next April which docks out here at 8:00 am. I am interested in taking the river trip to lone pine. It leaves at 10:00, boarding at 9:30, from the cultural center pontoon in front of the national library. Assuming the ship is cleared and we are off by 8:30ish, does anyone know if there will be cabs available to take us on this (30 minute?) trip and if so, what the approximate price would be?

I will be on Celebrity Solstice next April which docks out here at 8:00 am. I am interested in taking the river trip to lone pine. It leaves at 10:00, boarding at 9:30, from the cultural center pontoon in front of the national library. Assuming the ship is cleared and we are off by 8:30ish, does anyone know if there will be cabs available to take us on this (30 minute?) trip and if so, what the approximate price would be?

I emailed one of the taxi companies and the reply confirmed that there ,would be taxis. He added that the rank would be supervised to keep the queue orderly and managed. He advised that we would be better using the queuing system and not calling a taxi. I will take the mobile anyway. We are planning to taxi to Lone Pine and cruise/taxi back. The cost is similar. We are on the Oosterdam.

Edited by cjm66

I emailed one of the taxi companies and the reply confirmed that there ,would be taxis. He added that the rank would be supervised to keep the queue orderly and managed. He advised that we would be better using the queuing system and not calling a taxi. I will take the mobile anyway. We are planning to taxi to Lone Pine and cruise/taxi back. The cost is similar. We are on the Oosterdam.

That's great information. Thanks!

Cost will be around the $70 mark to the city (or airport) from the grain terminal by taxi. Could be a bit less or more, but not too far off that.

If you came back on the City Cat, which wharf would be best to get off at , to catch a taxi to the Grain terminal.?

I realise Bretts Wharf is ideal for ships at Portside, but would you need to get off on the other side of the river to get a taxi to FI ?...and which ferry stop would be likekly to have taxis waiting.?

If you came back on the City Cat, which wharf would be best to get off at , to catch a taxi to the Grain terminal.?

I realise Bretts Wharf is ideal for ships at Portside, but would you need to get off on the other side of the river to get a taxi to FI ?...and which ferry stop would be likekly to have taxis waiting.?

I would come back on the Mirimar. The City cat does not get that far, according to the LP. web site. Was planning to book a one way on Mirimar, if I can and phone for a taxi if there is no handy rank or passing taxi nearby. The Mirimar gets back to its wharf at 3pm so should be OK.

Thank you so much for the information. Do you know how many can fit in a taxi?

Normal taxis seat 4, but if you're travelling with a larger group, you tell the taxi controller there and he will allocate you to a maxi-taxi as needed.

I agree with the advice from taxi control not to call, as there is only one taxi pick-up area, a fair number of taxis, and many people so it would be quite difficult to try to pair anyone up in that way.

That actually happened to us on the ride from there. After we caught our taxi from the regular rank, when we got the total I challenged the driver about the extra fees being added and he said he had been called by someone but didn't find them so it was due to the call out fee, but forgot to take it off our charge.

Normal taxis seat 4, but if you're travelling with a larger group, you tell the taxi controller there and he will allocate you to a maxi-taxi as needed.

I agree with the advice from taxi control not to call, as there is only one taxi pick-up area, a fair number of taxis, and many people so it would be quite difficult to try to pair anyone up in that way.

That actually happened to us on the ride from there. After we caught our taxi from the regular rank, when we got the total I challenged the driver about the extra fees being added and he said he had been called by someone but didn't find them so it was due to the call out fee, but forgot to take it off our charge.

Thanks so much for your help.

Even though my cruise is still over six months away, I'm almost delirious thinking about it. Visiting Australia has been a dream for me since I was a child!

Edited by kellyclayt

Even though my cruise is still over six months away, I'm almost delirious thinking about it. Visiting Australia has been a dream for me since I was a child!

I know the feeling. Mine is in November 2013. I have wanted to go since I was 12. It's going to take so long to get here. I get giddy everytime I think about it!!!!! :D

• 3 years later...

I thought about doing that but ultimately ruled it out. It didn't seem cost effective (cost of rentals, plus taxis at each end), plus created risk finding a place to refuel and the time to do that then the risk of waiting/finding a taxi on return from the car rental, plus the contingency time that needs to be left.

Good luck if it works for you though.

Just discovered it's the Boxing Day public holiday when we're there so the nearby car rental places are only open 9-11 anyway. Grrr. Grasping at straws for ideas now!

I'm assuming you are just here for the day and it's not your disembarkation port. If that's the case, I wouldn't even dream of travelling up to the Sunshine Coast on Boxing Day even if the rental places were open as the roads will be clogged with holiday makers heading up this way for the holidays. Ditto for the Gold Coast. The Bruce Highway is busy at the best of times and one accident can cause substantial delays but on Boxing Day the traffic jams can be off the planet :( so I wouldn't risk it.

I can understand your frustration as the city will be jam packed for the Boxing Day sales too so even places like Southbank which is quite pleasant will probably be packed.

I hope you find something enjoyable to do despite the fact it will be Boxing Day. :)

I have read through this thread with interest. While I don't actually live in Brisbane, we visit there quite frequently. We live about 90 minutes away. Taxis can be quite expensive in Brisbane and if you are landed at the Grain Terminal, it could cost you heaps. We are doing a cruise next year from Sydney and our first port of call is Brisbane. I know, how boring. So, do we stay on board or go with the flow and head into the city. My suggestion would be to get the ship shuttle which, I believe, drops you in the CBD (Central Business District) or downtown. From there, you could hire a vehicle if you choose, but I would not recommend it. The road out to Lone Pine Koala Park can become very congested especially early in the morning and from about 2.30pm on (due to school finishing times). Those thinking of going up to Sunshine Coast - once again, the freeway can become a nightmare. It would only take a little more than an hour to drive there providing there were no incidents on the freeway. And what part of the Sunshine Coast are you looking at going? And what did you want to see there? "Sunshine Coast" covers an area of about 50 miles or more.

Once you were in the CBD, it is a simple walk/train ride across the river to Southbank. Lots to see and do there. My suggestion for getting to Lone Pine would be to catch the City Cat (small ferry boats) which, I believe, drop right at Lone Pine. (Totally tress free!)

Like I said, I am not a Brisbane local but am just sharing my observations. Happy to answer any questions.

The main issue that Hellyes is up against is the fact that it's Boxing Day and the traffic that hits the road on that particular day. We have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and as any residents of those cities know, the exodus from the city on Boxing Day is traffic chaos.

Brisbane is a bit the same as the holiday makers all head towards the Gold and Sunshine Coasts on those days which would make a day trip a waste of time as most of the time would be spent in a traffic jam and then there is always the risk of not getting back in time. :eek: In addition, coming from the Grain Terminal if you wanted to go to the Sunshine Coast you would also have to travel on the Gateway Motorway and there is the added traffic of people going to the airport. :(

As Lilly has mentioned, I would get the shuttle into the city as it would either be free or less than a taxi and perhaps just have a wander around. Perhaps this might be an occasion to look at a ship's tour to see if they have anything that is of interest if just wandering around the city isn't of interest.

Sorry for the doom and gloom info re travel to the lovely Sunshine Coast.

I agree with the recommendations to take the shuttle into Brisbane if none of the ships tours attract or they are OTT expensive. In Brisbane we scored a sunny but very hot day and elected to explore via the ferry and riverboat services instead of walking the steamy streets. A nice breeze on the water! You can go as far as Hamilton where the Cruise Ship Terminal (for the luckier smaller ships) is located. We stopped off at Southbank and it was crowded but a pleasant stroll through landscaped gardens with an artificial beach for swimming. Plan to eat where you can and probably informally unless you book ahead for one of the restaurants. There are some interesting exhibitions on at the Art Gallery and the City Hall if that would interest you or you are dying for some air-conditioning. Here is a link to a map of the ferry and river cat stops along the river.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services/citycat-ferry-terminal-locations

Thanks for the input guys. We'd just have like to head up to Mooloolaba for a stroll along the shops and beach day - a favourite spot of mine.

I had hoped by the Monday 28th public holiday most people would be off the roads already at their holiday destinations haha. Any close by beaches that are more accessible?

I'm a bit confused now ;) are you going to be in Brisbane on Boxing Day or Monday 28th? Your earlier post indicated Boxing Day.