Alaska - Port or Starboard

Red Hat Cruise Cat

If you read down the board, you will see this question asked regularly. The answer - it really doesn't matter. The scenery is 360 degrees, and you aren't locked in your cabin. You will be out and all over the ship. Viewing from all over the place.

This answer is incorrect. If sailing from Vancouver the scenery is regarded as being superior on the starboard side northbound and port side southbound. There is some argument that the port side is better for glacier days(s) however on those day(s) one really needs to be off one's balcony and out on deck to take in.

If sailing from Seattle then side doesn't matter as you are the best part of a day in either direction out in the Pacific where you aren't going to see anything until you enter the Inside Passage north of Vancouver Island and once in the Inside Passage then what you miss northbound then you will see southbound.

Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on Cruise Critic even though it may have been asked before, that is the whole purpose of the forum.

This answer is incorrect. If sailing from Vancouver the scenery is regarded as being superior on the starboard side northbound and port side southbound. There is some argument that the port side is better for glacier days(s) however on those day(s) one really needs to be off one's balcony and out on deck to take in.

If sailing from Seattle then side doesn't matter as you are the best part of a day in either direction out in the Pacific where you aren't going to see anything until you enter the Inside Passage north of Vancouver Island and once in the Inside Passage then what you miss northbound then you will see southbound.

Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on Cruise Critic even though it may have been asked before, that is the whole purpose of the forum.

Sorry but I agree with cruiserbruce...No bad views in Alaska...Actually, my portside northbound cruise views were amazing, especially when docked. And that sailout from Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge..and...Yes, I know I could have had those views from up on deck..but not the same quiet private balcony experience we want..Just lucked out I guess..So much so that I am booked again portside northbound for this May.

Sorry but I agree with cruiserbruce...No bad views in Alaska...Actually, my portside northbound cruise views were amazing, especially when docked. And that sailout from Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge..and...Yes, I know I could have had those views from up on deck..but not the same quiet private balcony experience we want..Just lucked out I guess..So much so that I am booked again portside northbound for this May.

No need to apologize, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am happy that you enjoyed the port side. However, having made some 17 round trips to Alaska and countless trips up and down the coast of British Columbia I would never choose a port side cabin as the scenery is vastly superior on the starboard side.

For starboard side on NB, u r able to see the land as u cruise.

If u do not fancy that and are fine with seeing the ocean, then it doesn't matter :)

If this is an inside passage cruise you will see land on both sides. Always nice to give more details when asking a question ;)

We have also done quite a few Alaskan cruises -- and we still prefer port side.

We have found most times the port side faces inland when docked. This of course varies by ship.

Also we have found that many captains keep the port side of the ship facing the glaciers the longest. Now that I can't stand for very long, sitting on our verandah and watching the glaciers calve is wonderful. Of course a cup of hot chocolate is a good idea to stay warm as well.

Actually, I would disagree. Like a lot of posters I would say side doesn't matter unless you are going to sit in your room and have a balcony.....but who wants to sit inside?

This is Alaska! Get out on deck and you have incredible 360 views with fresh air to boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived