best ship/ cruseline??

First, "best" is a totally personal judgment, and what is best to me, might be totally uninteresting to you. The cruise lines in the US you are familiar with will provide a similar product in Australia.

Second, not sure how many people you will find that have sailed more than 2 cruise lines in Australia to compare and contrast.

Many of the ships that repo from the US tend to do the same or similar,,somewhat routine routes. I would suggest you look at some of the Australia based ships, like the Sea, Sun or Dawn Princess, for unique and more in depth routes.

Edited by CruiserBruce

First, "best" is a totally personal judgment, and what is best to me, might be totally uninteresting to you. The cruise lines in the US you are familiar with will provide a similar product in Australia.

I agree different people like different ships for different reasons. However, US passengers will be disappointed if they think all lines provide a similar product to the US in Australia.

I agree different people like different ships for different reasons. However, US passengers will be disappointed if they think all lines provide a similar product to the US in Australia.

Could you further define this? Does, for example, HAL's Noordam do a different product in Australia from it's product in Alaska? Certainly hasn't been my experience. The only change I have seen is a few theme events and meals related to the current location. Otherwise it is 95+% the same product.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Could you further define this? Does, for example, HAL's Noordam do a different product in Australia from it's product in Alaska? Certainly hasn't been my experience. The only change I have seen is a few theme events and meals related to the current location. Otherwise it is 95+% the same product.

I was referring to ships based in Australia, not ships which only visit Australia.

What suits one won't suit all.

Me I like more or less in order

Princess

Celebrity

About to try Cunard (well next year anyway).

Dying to try Azamara and Silverseas.

Really didn't like P&O.

I think smaller ships are better in Aus and NZ than big ones, many ports are just overrun when the big ships arrive, but then I prefer the smaller ships anyway, but you not be entertained or kept busy 24/7 on them so need to be comfortable with yourself and your travel mate.

I think the point is that, say, a Princess ship based here is different to a Princess ship based in the USA ir Europe.

Even the demographics appear (or more accurately appeared, as we are now pretty much limited to Aus) different.

GUT2407: Dying to try Azamara and Silverseas. I think smaller ships are better in Aus and NZ than big ones' date=' many ports are just overrun when the big ships arrive, but then I [b']prefer the smaller ships[/b] anyway, but you not be entertained or kept busy 24/7 on them so need to be comfortable with yourself and your travel mate.

Agree with above from CruiserBruce and Keith that "best" can be a somewhat subjective term and standard. As others have mentioned, our Celebrity experience in going from Australia to New Zealand worked well for our interests and needs. See my live/blog below with lots of pictures and details, etc.

Yes, as noted by GUT2407, that there are pluses in doing smaller ships and that these larger ships can overwhelming many ports with too many people, etc. But larger ships can offer certain on-board advantages for entertainment, activities, options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,738 views for this posting.

Thank you ALL for these honest and helpful ideas. I like to cruise sometimes for the port and sometimes for the ship. I love the Oasis and I love the Volendam & Maasdam -- it just depends on the purpose of the cruise.

In Australia/NZ I would say the ports are the features and not the ship....for us.

I did not realize ships would be different in A/NZ than in US..... I've obviously had my head in the sand for my 20+ cruises!

:eek:

I am off to view the blog and info! Then more homework is in order... I know I'll be back for more of your wisdom!

I did not realize ships would be different in A/NZ than in US..... I've obviously had my head in the sand for my 20+ cruises!

:eek:

Just to be clear, Australia based ships will be different from their US based sisters. So, for example, our experience on Dawn Princess (based in Australia) last Aug/Sept, would be different from our experience on a US based Princess ship.

I read TLCOhio's blog today -- AMAZING detail!!! Gorgeous photos -- I love to take photos but my iPhone just does not capture the detail of that Nikon for sure!

After having felt like I actually have taken this cruise I realized that there are too many sea days for my husband. :roll eyes:

I do well to get him on a ship -- I usually end up cruising with 'wives' ..... he cannot relax and enjoy a ship on sea days -- it's all I can do to keep him ON the ship and not jumping overboard.......

I have not mentioned the thought of Australia/NZ to him as I figured I do my homework first. I know the flight would be hard but those sea days.... he might throw ME over. :(

Oh well - -back to the drawing board for another idea..... thanks all!

I read TLCOhio's blog today -- AMAZING detail!!! Gorgeous photos -- I love to take photos but my iPhone just does not capture the detail of that Nikon for sure! After having felt like I actually have taken this cruise I realized that there are too many sea days for my husband. I do well to get him on a ship -- I usually end up cruising with 'wives' ..... he cannot relax and enjoy a ship on sea days -- it's all I can do to keep him ON the ship and not jumping overboard....... I have not mentioned the thought of Australia/NZ to him as I figured I do my homework first. I know the flight would be hard but those sea days.... he might throw ME over. Oh well - -back to the drawing board for another idea..... thanks all!

Appreciate your super nice comments on my blog, photos, etc. But, here are a few added factors to evaluate and consider:

1. Visuals/Photos?: The "real thing" is much better and nicer than what my pictures show. The "prize" in visiting these wonderful areas is really great and worth some extra, added efforts to see and enjoy these vast regions.

2. Ship vs. Ports?: I am somewhat like your husband in preferring the ports as the higher priority rather than just "floating on a boat". BUT, for Australia and New Zealand, the port/land experiences can be very involved and super good. Having a few sea days helps allow a little "rest & relaxation" time between doing so, so much with significant intensive during the port stops.

3. On-Ship Options?: On a larger, fairly-sophisticated ship like the Celebrity Solstice, there are many, many interesting options and potentials available to do on sea days. That helps pass the time with class and in a fun/interesting way! On most of these cruise sailing options between these two countries, you will have two sea days connecting between Australia and New Zealand (or the reverse). YES, there might be just two or three other single sea-days. It is not like you have three or four or five sea days in a row. Below are a couple of my example for nice "pleasure zones" that I enjoyed on the Solstice during sea days.

Don't give up on this sailing/cruise option!! To cover such a large range of Australia and New Zealand areas, cities, sights, etc., there will be various pro/con factors for either way to accomplish this travel objective. To see such areas by air or land has its own challenges and logistical difficulties. By cruise ship is not perfect for everyone, but it can be made to work well, especially when you do added options either before and/or after your cruise portion.

Added questions, info needs, etc.? Tell us more about what entertains and/or most interests your husband? What "prizes" make him happy?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 211,265 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice in June 2011 when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Just to be clear, Australia based ships will be different from their US based sisters. So, for example, our experience on Dawn Princess (based in Australia) last Aug/Sept, would be different from our experience on a US based Princess ship.

Definitely.

From all I've seen, heard and experienced even ships based here for the season are a different experience while in Aus than elsewhere.

Ie Golden here v USA OR

Diamond here v Japan.

Agree with above from CruiserBruce and Keith that "best" can be a somewhat subjective term and standard. As others have mentioned, our Celebrity experience in going from Australia to New Zealand worked well for our interests and needs. See my live/blog below with lots of pictures and details, etc.

Yes, as noted by GUT2407, that there are pluses in doing smaller ships and that these larger ships can overwhelming many ports with too many people, etc. But larger ships can offer certain on-board advantages for entertainment, activities, options, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,738 views for this posting.

So true, all ships have pros and cons, what's best for me may well be what you dislike.

I had to laugh at your come back -- I totally agree -- but I love cruising!! :D

Added questions, info needs, etc.? Tell us more about what entertains and/or most interests your husband? What "prizes" make him happy?

Even though he is retired (took early retirement due to job stress = 2 heart attacks :eek: ) he is very active. He no longer does triathlons but still bikes (20 miles for fun) and golfs - fishes and does lots of yard work. He rarely reads and his down time is watching golf on TV ;) He is the clown at a party and never meets a stranger.

Alaska was his fav cruise so we've done it twice. We love to hike and see the scenery. He enjoyed Hawaii as well -- he was bored on the Oasis ship (largest in the world and he is bored!)

No doubt he would love the scenery and ports -- but those sea days do bother me for him.... he can work out in the gym for only so long!

While I've cruised about 20 times in the last 10 years he has gone on only 6........except for the Oasis the others were all about scenery - Ak x2 (HAL), Hi (NCL), New England (HAL), and Mex Riviera (Carnival, which he hated!) ... we will be doing a port intensive Pacific West Coastal (only 1 sea day in 10 days) which he is looking forward to next spring on Celebrity.

Edited by travelingla

Which ship or cruiseline is the best ... ask 10 people and you will get 10 opinions :)

We are from Germany and in the middle 30th. We startet cruising 6 years ago.

First we tried RCCL, NCL and Carnival and liked it all.

Then we thought of trying something better and chossed Celebrity and the last three cruises we did with HAL, will go on the next cruise with them in December and will try P&O Australia in May.

My opinion about the cruise lines :

RCCL : Good choice if you like huge ships, a lot of people and a lot to do like a club resort with flow rider etc etc

Carnival : Good choice if you want to go on a nice cruise with sporty style for a lower budget but less goodies then of the newer ships then RCCL

NCL: Smaler older ships-very colourful and new big ships (we only tried it for some days so I can't say much about it)

Celebrity : Nicer then the other cause you have porcelan you can eat on for example. The new ships are nice, the older ships are old and not in a good shape and they put more and more cabins on the last years. The most important thing about these ships is the crew - we had two very bad experiences on X and one was great !! But ... there is nothing to do on the ships like waterpark or something and on sea days it get really busy and it is hard to find a nice place !

HAL: Nice small ships, also no funparks or something and I think there is more space for anybody.

Sorry and I don't know Princess ...

Hope you find the right cruiseline for you.

We always say the most important thing is you make yourself a wonderful time and don't waste time with searching for something you maybe don't like :)

Greets from germany

Janine

There are often itineraries that go from Perth (Fremantle) around the top of Australia and down to Sydney, usually Princess, sometimes Celebrity. I'm not sure of the sea days involved though. It's a pretty big continent.

Maybe do Australia solo! And then take your husband on a Europe/Med/Asia cruise, many of which are very port intensive.

I love sea days, I'm half considering Ovations 14 day trip from Singapore to Sydney, most of which are sea days, though I fear it might be a tad too much. But there are bumper cars! :)

There are often itineraries that go from Perth (Fremantle) around the top of Australia and down to Sydney, usually Princess, sometimes Celebrity. I'm not sure of the sea days involved though. It's a pretty big continent.

Maybe do Australia solo! And then take your husband on a Europe/Med/Asia cruise, many of which are very port intensive.

I love sea days, I'm half considering Ovations 14 day trip from Singapore to Sydney, most of which are sea days, though I fear it might be a tad too much. But there are bumper cars! :)

We did a circumnavigation of Australia and on the across the top leg I think there were 7 sea days in total.

We had 20 out of 34 sea days. But then I love sea days.

• 3 weeks later...

Australia has my favorite ship based there, The Carnival Spirit. It was the first ship my husband and I ever went on and we fell in love with it and cruising. The most beautiful ship we have ever been on was the MSC Poesia but it was not a good cruise but I hear they have gotten better. Our worst cruise ever was with RCCL and I really would like to never cruise with them again but I have friends that love them. So yes what one person loves another may hate. My favorite cruise line is Celebrity but we tend to cruise Carnival the most because they have water slides and my husband is a little boy at heart and I own stock so I get OBC with them.

Which ever cruise line you go with, enjoy and have fun.

We did a Princess and an RCI cruise last year from Sydney. The Princess to Fiji, the RCI to NZ and back to Perth.

One difference was drink costs and currency. Princess used AUD. RCI used USD. A drink on Princess that was $10 AUD was $12 USD on RCI. Adjusted for currency the RCI price was $14. Then service fee on top. It adds up. Same for everything else on the RCI ship.

We very much preferred the food on Princess. Generally, our first cruise line pick would be Celebrity but we found the Princess (Sun Princess) to have a very high level of food service, food quality, and service. The only downside to the Sun Princess cruise was the chaos at White Pier when were trying to get a cab. The organizers for the cab line could not have organized a piss up in a brewery.

Edited by iancal

We did a Princess and an RCI cruise last year from Sydney. The Princess to Fiji, the RCI to NZ and back to Perth.

One difference was drink costs and currency. Princess used AUD. RCI used USD. A drink on Princess that was $10 AUD was $12 USD on RCI. Adjusted for currency the RCI price was $14. Then service fee on top. It adds up. Same for everything else on the RCI ship.

We very much preferred the food on Princess. Generally, our first cruise line pick would be Celebrity but we found the Princess (Sun Princess) to have a very high level of food service, food quality, and service. The only downside to the Sun Princess cruise was the chaos at White Pier when were trying to get a cab. The organizers for the cab line could not have organized a piss up in a brewery.

I so agree with your comment about the price differences.

Plus on (in our case Celebrity not RCI) the US$ ships add $13 each a day gratuities which about $18 Aus, it was really a deal breaker when we were looking at our circumnavigation last year. Near enough $1200 difference. Then a Diet Coke, call it $3 each line, but on the Aus ships add 18% so about $3.50 convert to Aus$ near enough to $4 or bit more that's few hundred bucks extra so all up about $1,500 more. Just couldn't justify it, now there are some things we think Celebrity do better than Princess but not $1500 better.

Hmmm. Sounds like our husbands have very similar temperaments. Highly energetic, gotta be busy or they are ... wellllll ... a tad cranky. Humph.

LOL.

What we get for marry Type A's. At least your husband likes to be social. My husband is a solitary creature by nature but wants to be out and about doing things. It balances. He can socialize, he simply also needs time away from requiring to be social directly. Know what I mean?

We are taking a 12 day UK tour in July. It is the longest cruise we've ever been on but only two of those days are sea days and are toward the end of the cruise which we'll probably need to sleep in for once and for laundry and repacking. We'll be doing a US Pacific Coastal in October and taking our youngest (12 year old boy) so hubby will stay busy because the two of them are like peas in a pod ... very active. Lord only knows what they'll get up to on sea days. :rolleyes: But the biggie for next year ... in January possibly ... is we want to go to Aus/NZ. I found a decent itinerary on Princess ("our" cruise line of choice). There are a couple of more sea days than I would like but reality is what it is. It is the Dawn Princess and I've heard both good and bad but the bad appears to have been written prior to her 2015 refurb.

Threads like this one and others in this area of the forum are helping us to make the final decision on that itinerary.

I hope you will write a review on your return!! I've decided not to do Aus/NZ ... at least for awhile. We have a couple of cruises booked and some other ideas that are not so far away.

I will keep reading and learning & enjoy the trips vicariously. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk