Voyager of the Seas Disembarkment Sydney and Taxis to airport.

Shore1970

Hi all

Firstly we are soon to be first time cruisers on Voyager of the Seas (VOS) and first time to Sydney also. I know VOS arrives back in Sydney at 0630 am.

I know that disembarking is quicker if you take your luggage off yourself. Then we would need to clear customs. How long should this take?

My questions are:

• Would it be realistic to make the Sydney airport by 10.30 am for a domestic flight?

• Is there difficulty getting a taxi at Circular Quay to go to the airport. I imagine if 3000 plus passenger are disembarking from 0630 am it would be.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

Hi all

Firstly we are soon to be first time cruisers on Voyager of the Seas (VOS) and first time to Sydney also. I know VOS arrives back in Sydney at 0630 am.

I know that disembarking is quicker if you take your luggage off yourself. Then we would need to clear customs. How long should this take?

My questions are:

• Would it be realistic to make the Sydney airport by 10.30 am for a domestic flight?

• Is there difficulty getting a taxi at Circular Quay to go to the airport. I imagine if 3000 plus passenger are disembarking from 0630 am it would be.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

Never had difficulty getting a taxi.

No way I'd even consider a 10:30 flight.

Personally 5 hours is the gap.

Thanks for the advice, i will definately take it. 4 hours seems like a long time from disembarking to the airport but obviously not in Sydney. If it was Adelaide i could stop halfway for morning tea and a little lay down :)

Even though ship is due in at 6.30 it still has to be cleared. Realistically you could be off the ship about 7.30

Customs does not take long provided you have been good.

Taxis are plentiful but i would take the train if you only have the 1 bag each. 5 mins walk to station then 15 minutes to airport plus say 15 mins waiting time.

Depending if weekend or week day 30 to 50 minutes by taxi.

Need to be at airport by 9am. Security lines are very long at tnat time of day.

Too stressfull. Suggest a midday flight or later.

• 2 months later...

How did u get on with getting to the airport as my ship docks at 6am and thinking doing self disembark about 7am would I make a 9:30 am flight for domestic flight to Melbourne, will have no bags to check in

Why take an expensive taxi to the Airport ?

If your ship berths at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay it is a stones throw to Circular Quay station where regular trains to Sydney Airport depart . Alight at Airport Domestic for flights within Australia, and Airport International for International flights . Train time to Airport 15 - 20 minutes .

Why take an expensive taxi to the Airport ?

If your ship berths at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay it is a stones throw to Circular Quay station where regular trains to Sydney Airport depart . Alight at Airport Domestic for flights within Australia, and Airport International for International flights . Train time to Airport 15 - 20 minutes .

Agree, save it was more like 30 minutes last year.

I am afraid that our day starts much earlier than it does in Europe. After five years in London our daughters got a big culture shock in that respect when they got home.

At 7am morning peak hour is in full swing. My local coffee shop opens at 5 30 am and the tradies are lined up out the door at 6 00.

What day of the week? Makes a huge difference with respect to traffic ex city.

I would move my time by at least an hour to give you a safety buffer. Flights on the 2 major airlines run every 15 minutes.

Airport traffic at the moment is not good on any day and Sydney to Melbourne is one of the busiest domestic airline routes of the world.

Take the train unless there is a scheduled rail outage (usually on weekends).

Hi its on Tuesday Melbourne cup day.im a big racing fan and because I'm so close to Melbourne have go for the day and don't want miss to many races

Definitely get the train. It is a public holiday in Melbourne but not inSydney.

Sydney has very narrow streets in the main city area, clogged with traffic and buses. Also new tram route under construction so traffic is in peak hour gridlock. 7am is peak here . As per my original advice take the train from Circular Quay station to AIRPORT DOMESTIC for your flight to Melbourne. For three people train will still be cheaper than taxi, faster and far less stressful .

On arrival at Melbourne take SKYBUS (every 10 mins) from immediately out front terminals at ground level to Southern Cross station in city . Drop your bags at Hotel. Then Metro suburban train from Flinders St or Southern Cross stations to FLEMINGTON for Melbourne Cup . First race about 11am . Dont even think about getting out to Flemington by taxi; if it is this years Melbourne Cup you want to see !!!!

My intentions are to drop my bags in storage at airport for the day as I intend get a 9pm or later flight back from Melbourne to Sydney

Its alot hassle for just a days racing but to me to experience the race day would be worth it.

Was going to get a taxi to flemington as thought most the people would be at the course already since the racing will be already started less traffic

Thanks for the replys back

My intentions are to drop my bags in storage at airport for the day as I intend get a 9pm or later flight back from Melbourne to Sydney

Its alot hassle for just a days racing but to me to experience the race day would be worth it.

Was going to get a taxi to flemington as thought most the people would be at the course already since the racing will be already started less traffic

Thanks for the replys back

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Couple of things to check out.

Sydney airport closes at 11 pm with the last flights ex Melbourne around 9 pm.

You will need to book as soon as possible and dont expect many cheap seats.

Check what time the bag storage closes. If you are staying at a hotel in Sydney it may be better to drop your bags there.

Good luck.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Couple of things to check out.

Sydney airport closes at 11 pm with the last flights ex Melbourne around 9 pm.

You will need to book as soon as possible and dont expect many cheap seats.

Check what time the bag storage closes. If you are staying at a hotel in Sydney it may be better to drop your bags there.

Good luck.

The action at the race course is pretty much over by 5 pm.

Good idea to leave / drop luggage at your Sydney hotel, if possible.

Airport luggage storage is rudely expensive!

http://www.sydney.com.au/lockers-luggage-storage.htm