Sydney hotel for a week before our cruise

Plant

I've been looking at Sydney hotel's for a while now and would like to know what you think of these two: Macleay Hotel and Holiday Inn Old Sydney. Both of these are in the Rocks area. We stayed at the Ibis Sydney Darling Harbor last time we were there, and it was fine. We're just looking at staying in another area. Thanks for your thoughts :)!

I just did a quick search and it looks like the Macleay Hotel is in Potts Point, which is about a 15 minute walk from the city (and all up hill !!)

The Holiday Inn is in a great spot, close to everything.

Sorry can't comment on which is better as a hotel as I don't stay in them, but location wise the Holiday Inn is your best bet.

Out of those two, the Holiday Inn.

Purely for the location.

The Mac lay is not bad as such, but the location is not very nice. Can be quite dodgy and feel a bit unsafe at night.

how about the option of an apartment for that week? you get more space, a kitchen for preparation of breakfasts/supper etc and laundry facilities.

there are many on offer here in Sydney...check out the Meriton ones, the Adina chain or Hyde Park Inn

sorry...just gave you more options to consider :)

We were in Sydney in Feb. and stayed in Holiday Inn Darling Harbor.However if we were to go back we would stay in Sydney Holiday Inn in the Rocks.It is a lovely hotel and much more central,being very close to Circular Key.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree, The Rocks is completely charming and would be a lovely place to stay!

But....and this could have changed, or not - some time has passed since I've visited Sydney though I saw the *same* thing when I was researching my trip in everything I read "not a great area" as regards Kings Cross/Potts Point and for a variety of reasons - availability, pricing, kindness of people, I ended up staying there anyway and felt *completely safe* as a woman traveling alone. There are even some beautiful Victorian buildings along some pretty streets I'd pass on my way walking to the Quay (yes, it can be a bit uphill walking back but there was a bus too) and a gorgeous fountain -El Alamein Memorial Fountain, lively streets...I always felt very, very safe.

Disclaimer...I lived my entire life in NYC so I might be a bit more accustomed to all sorts of things than the average traveler - once I started traveling I certainly noticed extreme things in some places - not so much in other places, but there wasn't much to "notice" (not shocking!) in Sydney except DELIGHT - many things that make it extraordinary!!

Sydney is essentially just one big happy place :) and I'm sure things *do happen* or maybe Kings Cross/Potts Point is now different (I hope none of it has!) but it sounds like the exact same thing I read when I was planning my trip and I arrived completely confused about what the warnings had been all about....is it different from downtown and the rocks? Sure but it's completely fine and safe just the same, but I've been a life long city dweller.

Just thought I'd add my impression - not a declaration - just a city dweller's view/impression...for what it was worth, if it helped put things into perspective for other travelers. One won't know until they go but I took a chance - figured I could always move if needed - and it worked!

Sydney-siders & Aussies will know best of course...and if it is a bucket list trip, I get it - for many people, it is - I may likely never get back there but for me, it was already heaven just being there and where I stayed was wonderful too - kind innkeepers - we corresponded for years, lovely, clean, great breakfasts, quiet...excellent. It was a dream trip for me :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

I've been looking at Sydney hotel's for a while now and would like to know what you think of these two: Macleay Hotel and Holiday Inn Old Sydney. Both of these are in the Rocks area. We stayed at the Ibis Sydney Darling Harbor last time we were there, and it was fine. We're just looking at staying in another area. Thanks for your thoughts :)!

Whilst the Holiday Inn Old Sydney is in the Rocks, the Macleay Hotel which I am familiar with is in Elizabeth Bay, near Potts Point. Is there another Macleay Hotel?

For location, I would select Elizabeth Bay. Lots of beautiful walks from there around the Bays, as well as walking distance to the city, if you are a walker. Bus stops at the door. Lots of fabulous restaurants and cafes, plus the wonderful Hayes Theatre for musical theatre. I would love to live there! :)

If you're only in Sydney for a night or two pre-cruise I would suggest The Rocks or circular quay areas, but if you do intend to stay a week, I would be trying to find the nicest room at the best price anywhere within the city area including potts point or darling harbour. Transport options from any of these are usually pretty good.

If you're only in Sydney for a night or two pre-cruise I would suggest The Rocks or circular quay areas, but if you do intend to stay a week, I would be trying to find the nicest room at the best price anywhere within the city area including potts point or darling harbour. Transport options from any of these are usually pretty good.

I'd go a step further and say for a week serviced apartments may be better choice.

Agree and also agree with GUT (serviced apartments, another great & very popular option for Sydney visits)...for short visits like two nights - staying close to the Harbour can help save time but then, it took me no time to walk to the Quay and it was a lovely walk. The value will be great in terms of what one gets for their accommodation leaving more to spend for dining, exploring, shopping - everything. It's the only holiday I was *ever* on that I came home with A LOT of money still left over. I never expected that and I did all I wanted to do :)

Still, can't go wrong in The Rocks ;) Enjoy Sydney and environs!! I have two kiwis visiting me today - the BEST souvenirs from that trip - I visited them in Christchurch, NZ after Sydney...met them in China the year before visiting Down Under. Make friends when you travel, it leads to more holidays and life long friendships!!!!!

Edited by Host Bonjour

Thank you to everyone! I'm still looking, but your recommendation's have been very helpful! Right now I'm considering the Rendevous Hotel or the Holiday Inn, in The Rocks area. I'm very happy that I have so much time to make a decision! Thanks!

Thank you to everyone! I'm still looking, but your recommendation's have been very helpful! Right now I'm considering the Rendevous Hotel or the Holiday Inn, in The Rocks area. I'm very happy that I have so much time to make a decision! Thanks!

You won't go wrong with either of those in my opinion.

One issue with the Holiday Inn.

Steps, you get the lift to your floor but still have some steps up and down to get to your room.

Not a big issue but one to be aware of if mobility is an issue.

But I love watching my ship arrive in port before I board.

You won't go wrong with either of those in my opinion.

One issue with the Holiday Inn.

Steps, you get the lift to your floor but still have some steps up and down to get to your room.

Not a big issue but one to be aware of if mobility is an issue.

But I love watching my ship arrive in port before I board.

Could you tell me approximately how many, and how steep the steps are? I DO have some mobility issues, but if it's just one or two steps I'm okay. A whole flight of steps-YIKES!

Thanks!

Could you tell me approximately how many, and how steep the steps are? I DO have some mobility issues, but if it's just one or two steps I'm okay. A whole flight of steps-YIKES!

Thanks!

Say your room is on the third floor.

The lift goes to a landing and then, from memory, three steps up to the hallway. Might have been four. It means lifting your bag up the few steps which is an issue for some. Best advice book an accessible room, they have no steps, but will need a call rather than booking online.

Say your room is on the third floor.

The lift goes to a landing and then, from memory, three steps up to the hallway. Might have been four. It means lifting your bag up the few steps which is an issue for some. Best advice book an accessible room, they have no steps, but will need a call rather than booking online.

Thank you for the information! I think that, between us, we can handle a couple or three steps. It's very good to know in advance, though!

Edited by Plant

Thank you for the information! I think that, between us, we can handle a couple or three steps. It's very good to know in advance, though!

First time I stayed there i was still in a wheelchair so it was a problem, next cruise I've asked for an accessible room. Not in the chair anymore but stairs still a big problem for me.

Now, someone in my TA's office is recommending the Menzies Hotel, on Carrington Street. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

We stayed there a few times when BOS put the wife up there.

My advice..

Nope.

We stayed there a few times when BOS put the wife up there.

My advice..

Nope.

Thanks, GUT! I appreciate your local opinion. I'm leaning toward the Rendevous now. It's still a long time until we sail, so I'll be watching for other recommendations.

Thanks,

[/size]

We've stayed at Napoleon on Kent. Not a fancy place but the rooms were great with a kitchenette. Access to Wynyard station via a subway across the road.

Thanks, I'll check the Napoleon out. Since we'll be staying a week a kitchenette would be nice!