Are the seas rough sailing from Auckland to Sydney?

pdx4me

The Tasman sea can be extremely rough, in fact it is known to be treacherous at times and then it can be quite calm. It is in the lap of the gods what sort of weather you can encounter and if you are prone to seasickness, then I would go prepared with lots of preparations in case.

Jennie

We also had rough seas from Sydney to Vanuatu in Pacific Ocean and the Coral Sea during that same week, so the weather and seas off the coast of Australia during that time in January was not the best.

As I said previously, it is just luck whether you have a smooth or rough trip.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
we had a very rough crossing on the Sapphire Jan 23 cruise across the Tasman. Up to 50 ft seas, I kid you not. Two and half days of rock and roll. we got to Hobart 8 hours late.

We too were on that cruise. What a ride!!! How scared was I - verrrrry scared indeed but we all survived - although the restaurants were only half full!!!!:p

However, they said that the previous cruise from Sydney to Auckland experienced very calm conditions on the Tasman - so you pay your money and take your chance.

jdechter - what did you think of the cruise??? We thought it was absolutely wonderful - every minute - even the 50ft seas!!!!:D

Hi, we were on the "previous" cruise, starting Jan 11th from SYD to AKL - and yes, it was a very very smooth crossing! Had choppier waters, but could not even tell we were in waters known to be rough! Very great time as well, anyone who gets the chance to do this cruise, should!

Debbie

It is really the luck of the draw.......we were on the Feb 4th Sapphire Princess sailing.....and we had smooth seas......and heard how the previous cruise had bad seas.

Sailing east......you are sailing with the swells between Australia and New Zealland.....which is better than against the swells.

• 1 month later...

We were on th March 12 Auckland to Sydney and our crossing was quite rough. We never need to take the Bonine we bring with us, but so glad we had it for this trip. Day one was very rough, day 2 was not as bad, but fairly bumpy... Have a great trip!!!

We were on th March 12 Auckland to Sydney and our crossing was quite rough. We never need to take the Bonine we bring with us, but so glad we had it for this trip. Day one was very rough, day 2 was not as bad, but fairly bumpy... Have a great trip!!!

Hi ciera, we were on same cruise as you, but we only felt it a bit rough one day. that was after leaving the fjiords heading to Hobart.

We had such a good time we are going again next year.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

We were on March 12 as well (hi Lorraine)

We found day one of the Tasman very rough but didn't get sick. The second sitting of the show was cancelled that night in the Princess Theatre as it was too dangerous for the dancers. I really like being rocked to sleep but it was hard carrying 2 cups of coffee from Deck 14 to deck 8 without spilling them!

Our 1st cruise on the "Pacific Sky" out of Brisbane to Noumea we had some really rough/choppy seas 5metres waves that were splashing as high as the Promenade deck. The crew had ropes along all the walkways and sick bags were everywhere. We loved it, did not get sea sick at all.

Our 2nd cruise on the "Pacific Star" out of Brisbane to Noumea we set off into the remnants of Cyclone Larry expecting rough seas again but we all we got was about 3m waves.

Our latest cruise on "Sapphire Princess" Feb16/2007 Auckland to Sydney we had the calmest seas we have ever seen. The whole cruise we didn't even feel like the ship was moving. Across the Tasman it was like being in a pond although we did get some heavy fog. The only point we felt the ship move was coming around Cape Howe on the south coast of NSW but only lasted about 1 hour.

The weather across the Tasman is unpredicable, basically pot luck. So hope you have a smooth sailing.

Cheers

Mark & Matt

• 1 month later...
Hi Chester,

I sent an email to you last Thursday and obviously you didn't receive it. I have resent it to you again a few moments ago.

Please let me know if it arrives.

Jennie

Aussie Girl,

Please share your thoughts with us with the must-see and must do on our Sydney to Auckland sailing. There are 20 of us. Thanks

PinkSuit

Pinksuit,

Please let me know the ports you are visiting in Australia and I will give you what information I can.

I cannot help you with the New Zealand ports though. I will let a someone with more experience of New Zealand to help you there.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our 30 Day Sydney to LA cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

The crossing from Sydney to Fjordland was very calm, the Captain said it was the calmest seas he's seen in years. It was the same all the way back to LA, we had a bit of movement on the last night but this was due to the fact that they sped up to rush someone to hospital in LA.

As for the New Zealand ports, we didn't take any of the ship's tours. We preferred to explore the cities by ourselves. The trip up Fjordland and Milford Sound was spectacular.

There wasn't much to see in Dunedin we did walk to the Botanical Gardens which are beautiful. Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland were interesting.

In Auckland we took the ferry across the harbour to Devonport which is a small town full of restaurants, pubs, galleries. There are some great views of the city and harbour from the old fort on the hill.

M and a . I am sorry that you felt there wasnt much to see at dunedin, that was a wonderful place to visit. We did however rent a car which enabled us to see so much more. we hired a car knowing we would see more than on a tour.

We drove around the otago point(very scenic)to the albatross santuary, lanarch castle and its beautiful gardens, the railway station, cadburys factory and Baldwin street(steepest street in the world)

i realise not everyone is comfortable with driving in a strange place especially on the 'wrong" side of the road but i would hate for any one to think there was nothing at dundin

102_0214.jpg.e2060ab3a1c44d3396355ee5bb37031f.jpg

102_0241.jpg.7584e3a43123f706ff842ac57b508c7d.jpg

106_0389.jpg.4cd9939f2dbd40d41299943baee7c0aa.jpg

M and a . I am sorry that you felt there wasnt much to see at dunedin, that was a wonderful place to visit. We did however rent a car which enabled us to see so much more. we hired a car knowing we would see more than on a tour.

We drove around the otago point(very scenic)to the albatross santuary, lanarch castle and its beautiful gardens, the railway station, cadburys factory and Baldwin street(steepest street in the world)

i realise not everyone is comfortable with driving in a strange place especially on the 'wrong" side of the road but i would hate for any one to think there was nothing at dundin

I should clarify that compared to the other cities in New Zealand there wasn't a lot to see. We did walk through the beautiful university to the botanical gardens and then to the museum, we also did hike up the steep hills.

Next time I would definately rent a car or take the train trip.

• 5 years later...
Hi we are also wondering about Sydney to Auckland in April, does anyone know wha the sea will be like. We have heard that summer months are worse

:):)

There is absolutely no way of predicting what the Tasman Sea will be like. It is notorious for bad weather, at any time of the year.

We did the crossing in early January. The cruises before and after ours had a very rough passage and one of them even had to miss going into Milford Sound because of the waves.

However, we had a mirror-smooth crossing, with hardly a ripple on the water for 3 days.

Go prepared for a rough crossing and be pleasantly surprised if you get a smooth one.

• 2 weeks later...