Souvenirs from Hawaii - Unusual and where did you find them?

MaNPaM

I picked up a hand-carved tiki from a roadside stand just south of the Polynesian Cultural Center. The artist (Fala) was in the process of putting the finishing touches on the one I purchased just as we drove up. I think I paid about $40 for it... signed by the artist as well.

I did see a couple carving tikis and other woodworks at the Aloha Stadium Market on the day we went, but we didn't purchase any of them.

At the Polynesian Cultural Center, check out the artwork in the Samoa venue. We picked up a seascape lithograph after the Samoan cooking demo was over. The artist (Kap Tafiti) was mingling with everyone in the "gift tent" after his demo... he turned to me as I was getting ready to pay for my print and asked if I was planning to purchase it. I said "Yes" at which point he took it out of my hand, opened the plastic wrapping, turned it over & drew a mini-seascape on the back with his signature. DW & I though this was very cool!!!

We also bought matching Koa wood watches from a vendor at the Aloha Stadium Market. A word of caution here... research before you go. I knew what I was looking for and was careful to avoid the knockoffs.

I picked up a hand-carved tiki from a roadside stand just south of the Polynesian Cultural Center. The artist (Fala) was in the process of putting the finishing touches on the one I purchased just as we drove up. I think I paid about $40 for it... signed by the artist as well.

I did see a couple carving tikis and other woodworks at the Aloha Stadium Market on the day we went, but we didn't purchase any of them.

At the Polynesian Cultural Center, check out the artwork in the Samoa venue. We picked up a seascape lithograph after the Samoan cooking demo was over. The artist (Kap Tafiti) was mingling with everyone in the "gift tent" after his demo... he turned to me as I was getting ready to pay for my print and asked if I was planning to purchase it. I said "Yes" at which point he took it out of my hand, opened the plastic wrapping, turned it over & drew a mini-seascape on the back with his signature. DW & I though this was very cool!!!

We also bought matching Koa wood watches from a vendor at the Aloha Stadium Market. A word of caution here... research before you go. I knew what I was looking for and was careful to avoid the knockoffs.

Can I ask how much the watches were?

Some of the things I always pick up for gifts are children's books, stick-it notes, "made in Hawaii" aprons at the Aloha Stadium, fabric for table cloths, real koa salad tongs, paintings by local artists, music, and honey and jams from the islands. Cook Kwees from Maui are my very favorite cookies, they can be purchased throughout the islands. Costco is a good source for books and music. ABC stores, Longs, Walmarts, and K-marts can also be good places to find the above items. Many of the hotels also have beautiful gifts. Koa items made in Hawaii, not in an Asian country, can be found easily but check the "made in" location. If you are in a location with a local outdoor market check out the art and other "island made" items. Hope this helps, Cherie

We also bought a couple of small art pieces at the Polynesian Cultural Center but they weren't cheap. At one of the coffee plantations I bought small koa coffee scoops to bring back as gifts. At one of the outdoor markets I found velvet bean jewelry and brought back to a friend whose son lives in Hawaii. It was new to her so evidently not found everywhere. Didn't get to make it as many outdoor markets as wanted but the one we did see had some local work. As others have said, check the origin! (And as far as some of the cloth work, etc, it might be cheaper to purchase online rather than lug it home.)

Can I ask how much the watches were?

I don't remember the exact amount, but I did negotiate (haggle) to get to a price I was willing to pay. If you're considering shopping for a watch or two at the Aloha Stadium, check out several of the vendors before purchasing.

I don't remember the exact amount, but I did negotiate (haggle) to get to a price I was willing to pay. If you're considering shopping for a watch or two at the Aloha Stadium, check out several of the vendors before purchasing.

Thanks

I looked online and the price varies a lot , I don't think we will make it to the aloha stadium, I would love to, but we may find them somewhere else.

Could you provide an approximate price for the koa wood watches you haggled with swap meet vendors to get?

Martin & MacArthur is a reputable but more expensive retailer & has prices that I cannot afford to pay. Their least expensive koa watch is $550 going up to $1,950.

https://www.martinandmacarthur.com/wood-watch

Hopefully you got a solid koa watch but wonder how a swap meet vendor could be haggled down for expensive koa watches. Years ago koa picture frames were reasonably priced but now even koa veneer frames are getting pricy.

I would follow Silver's recommendation to shop carefully & that's great that your research got you a solid koa watch but others might not have the same positive outcome by haggling with swap meet vendors.

As stated, shop carefully. To give you an idea of the price range and styles, try googling koa watches at Martin and MacArthur.
Edited by Astro Flyer