Passport change

kesam

We just found out that you can no longer get pages added to your American passport! They changed the rules as of 01/01/2016.

We only have 10 pages left in ours, we can't seem to get any info on how many we will need, so I guess to be safe we will get new passports, for our cruise 2017.

Maybe some of y'all may have more info, if so please let us all know.

Cyndi

• 2 weeks later...

Many countries require: minimum 6 months validity, and at least 1 full clear/unused page.

If your visiting multiple countries and each of them process your passport with a stamp...., then you should think about having a page per country and for each time you re-enter that country.

Note: in Europe you will receive a stamp at yr point of entry ( providing your not an EU national).... You will not have your passport stamped again unless you cross into the UK. Europe does not give exit stamps.

With the recent terror issues in Europe....,

European borders now many look at your paperwork only. It is rare they will stamp it.

When does your passport expire? Where are you cruising to? I have never had my passport stamped in Caribbean. Iflying in to US you will need 1 page if flying in to Europe (EU) you will need 1 page. Outside of this it depends on where you are travelling to.

It pays to look at CC where things like this are discussed. Several years ago when my PP was pretty full I was often asked if I wanted it stamped or not.But on recent Oceania WC our PPs were taken and returned at end full of stamps .You can get extra pages put in for (I think), $82.

It pays to look at CC where things like this are discussed. Several years ago when my PP was pretty full I was often asked if I wanted it stamped or not.But on recent Oceania WC our PPs were taken and returned at end full of stamps .You can get extra pages put in for (I think), $82.

No, as of Jan 1, 2016, you can't add extra pages anymore. You need to get a new passport.

• 1 month later...
That means more and more people will be traveling with 2 passports one expired with good visas in side

You bring up a very good point and one I will have to look into. In October 2015, I received my 10-year multiple entry visa for China, yet my passport expires in December 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

But! All passports will now be 52 pages by default... no more skinny 26 pagers.

The 52 page passports were added in 2012, which started the process of phasing out extra pages, and became the standard sometime in 2014. Before that, Standard U.S. Passports used to be only 26 pages, which was sufficient when visas were little stickers, but now that they all take a whole page, it ended up being a problem. Each 'extra pages' insert would add another 16 pages, and you could only get two inserts before you had to get a new passport. So the hope is that by making everyone start off with 52 pages, they'll be able to do away with the need for extra pages. We'll see how that works out!

The issue of carrying valid visas in expired passports is really more an issue of passport validity than anything else. If your passport is good for 10 years, and 5 years in you get a 10 year visa, you're going to be stuck carrying the old passport for another 5 years regardless of how many pages are free in it.

My travel agent sent me a heads up in mid-November about the 1/1/16 date to get pages added, so I sent mine for new pages in early December since my passport was renewed in 2014. It came back in a few weeks with a bunch new pages added. It was cheaper than having to do a renewal passport, plus I had just gotten a 10 year Brazilian visa 2 months prior.

I'm going on the World Cruise next year and wanted to make sure I would have plenty of empty pages.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue of carrying valid visas in expired passports is really more an issue of passport validity than anything else. If your passport is good for 10 years, and 5 years in you get a 10 year visa, you're going to be stuck carrying the old passport for another 5 years regardless of how many pages are free in it.

That is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying!

Just want to clarify:

When you enter the EU, only the first country will stamp your passport?

Correct.

U.K. Entry will stamp each time u enter, as we are not part of the Schengen Agreement. Most of Central Europe is under Schengen control.

Many European borders have reintroduced ID checks at the crossing points. I'm not aware stamps are issued.

Particularly between France-Belgium-UK and Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app