MAZATLAN 8-5 in port suggestions

Derbie

We were just in Mazatlan (for the very first time) on a port call a little over a week ago. I strongly second the recommendation to hire a pulmonia for a couple of hours to drive you around. Also, have lunch in the old city. I also found the Cathedral quite beautiful and interesting. It's the only Catholic Church in the world with Stars of David in its windows (in honor of members of the Jewish community who provided funds for the church to be built, as the Catholic community could not afford it).

Pulmonia%201024x588_zpsychoqrve.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Grab a pulmonia outside the port gates. The ones inside the port charge more. Same goes for the taxis.

On the street between the Cathedral and the Plaza, is a raspado (shaved ice) stand. Ignore the bees. They are just going after the syrup. The prices are from February, 2016.

Raspado%20in%20Mazatlan_zpszfylamvm.jpg

Raspado%20Stand%20Prices%20-%20Mazatlan_zpsga66jywf.jpg

After your tour and lunch, go back to the ship dock and then to Stone Island. Catch the water taxi near the port and go across the port's quay. From that dock, walk up the (short) hill and on to the beach. Walk 10 minutes and saddle up at Lety's for lounge chairs and cocktails. Nice place, easy surf.

To get to the water taxi, go left out of the cruise ship port area, down towards the water. Keep walking straight and you will run right into it.

More on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2286477

Grab a pulmonia outside the port gates. The ones inside the port charge more. Same goes for the taxis.

On the street between the Cathedral and the Plaza, is a raspado (shaved ice) stand. Ignore the bees. They are just going after the syrup. The prices are from February, 2016.

Raspado%20in%20Mazatlan_zpszfylamvm.jpg

Raspado%20Stand%20Prices%20-%20Mazatlan_zpsga66jywf.jpg

The syrups are homemade, made from fruit and are thicker than the HFC stuff used in the States. Highly recommend the Piña. Eaten here many times with no issues.

(Ciruela is plum, Groseya is red currant)

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for the information. Have couple of questions. There are 5 of us, would we fit in a pulmonia? How much do they charge? Is it by the person, hour, or distance? Thinking of doing a tour in the morning (9 AM-12 PM) then either eat in Mazatan or just go to stone island for lunch and couple of drinks before we are back to the ship. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the information. Have couple of questions. There are 5 of us, would we fit in a pulmonia? How much do they charge? Is it by the person, hour, or distance? Thinking of doing a tour in the morning (9 AM-12 PM) then either eat in Mazatan or just go to stone island for lunch and couple of drinks before we are back to the ship. Thanks in advance.
Only four people could have fit in the inside seats of our pulmonia (and it would have been tight for three in the back). I don't know if they let you sit in that outside back area, or whether there are larger pulmonias, I hope others with more experience will answer.

The charge is whatever you negotiate with the driver. For our two-hour tour, we paid an agreed-on price set by the hour.

Walk out the "IN" gate to the cruise terminal (the farther gate, past the "OUT" gate). Ask about room for 5 in a pulmonia taxi, pick a pulmonia taxi with nice seating for 5 (you will have a choice of at least 10 in the immediate area). At $20/hour minimum. Drive up along the coast to Playa Bruja (15 miles), stop for a cool drink at the beach front Playa Bruja cafe, then start heading back, stopping as many times (they love to wait for you, no fuel used), and for as long as you like (stop and walk the beach front El Cid Castilla Beach, they welcome cruisers). Tour a bit of downtown. Drop off and pay the taxi off at the Stone Island Ferry, visit Stone Island (taxis are everywhere, you will find a new one back tot he ship for minimal $). We have done this many many times, and will do this many mnay more times

Walk out the "IN" gate to the cruise terminal (the farther gate, past the "OUT" gate). Ask about room for 5 in a pulmonia taxi, pick a pulmonia taxi with nice seating for 5 (you will have a choice of at least 10 in the immediate area). At $20/hour minimum. Drive up along the coast to Playa Bruja (15 miles), stop for a cool drink at the beach front Playa Bruja cafe, then start heading back, stopping as many times (they love to wait for you, no fuel used), and for as long as you like (stop and walk the beach front El Cid Castilla Beach, they welcome cruisers). Tour a bit of downtown. Drop off and pay the taxi off at the Stone Island Ferry, visit Stone Island (taxis are everywhere, you will find a new one back tot he ship for minimal $). We have done this many many times, and will do this many mnay more times

OUTSTANDING. Thanks for the advise. Now I got to tell my stomach we are having drinks at 10 AM. Oh well, we are on vacation. Looking at your recommendation got make a decision to either have lunch at Stone island or Playa Bruja. The lobster and shrimp plate made me drool. .

• 2 weeks later...
We are in Mazatlan from 8 am-5 pm. First time in port, and we are open to all its offerings. We like sightseeing, beaches, eating and culture. So, please make suggestions. We are hoping you will! :0)

When your trip?? If it "was" What did you do?! We'll be there for the first time on April 11.

thanks!

We are in Mazatlan from 8 am-5 pm. First time in port, and we are open to all its offerings. We like sightseeing, beaches, eating and culture. So, please make suggestions. We are hoping you will! :0)

There is a great store in the old town called Casa Etnika. They have a wide range of quality local crafts. Very helpful staff. After visiting the store, went for lunch with intention to return. Fell and broke my elbow. Contacted them via FB and they have kindly sold and sent me the additional items I had wanted. This is a "must see" store. Check their FB page for a map: Sixto Osuna #50 Colonia Centro

There is a great store in the old town called Casa Etnika.

We like to go to Nid Art. On the corner of Carnaval and Calle Libertad. It is at the beginning of the blue line from town to the port.

Across the street from Nid Art on Carnaval is Helarte Sano, a gelato and coffee store.