New Ship New Venue Needed??

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:18 AM.
Australia
733 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
To those who commented on P&O Australia's PNG trip and not seeing many kids. We have done that trip, plus another with P&O in school holidays. Was panicking that it would be over run with the little darlings but it seems P&O limit their kids to what their Kids Club holds and keep them well occupied. I did not see any bad behavior. Not like my sister who did a carnival cruise which ended up with half the passengers as kids, it was chaos.

Mind you my cruise line of choice is Princess and we have never had a problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elise

Golden Princess - 14 day Sth Aust to Singapore, March 2018
Golden Princess - 35 day Sth Pacific - Hawaii & Tahiti, August 2017
Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand, February 2017
Dawn Pincess - Repositioning, February 2017
P&O Pacific Eden - Solomon Islands and New Guinea, October 2016
P&O Pacific Eden - B2B - Southern Adventure and Coral Coast - April 2016
P&O Pacific Eden - Wine & Food Cruise - Easter, March 2016
Diamond Princess - South Pacific - 40th Wedding Anniversary - October 2015
Celebrity Solstice - Top End - February 2015
Celebrity Century - South Australia - October 2014
HAL Oosterdam - South Pacific - April 2014
HAL Oosterdam - New Zealand - November 2013
HAL Oosterdam - South Pacific - March 2013
Deception Bay, Australia
834 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by Aussieflyer
What is it about parents taking kids out of school willy nilly? You can't tell me they are all home-schooled. A parent with a child of school age has a responsibility to have the child in school IMO. A cruise to the Pacific Islands is generally not a high educational itinerary for most passengers. I can see why education departments are trying to crack down on kids missing school for holidays.
Perhaps I should duck and run now from all the parents/grandparents who do cruise with school age children in term time.
Couldn't agree with you more. We were absolutely astounded by the numbers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming: RCCL Ovation of the Seas, Nov 14 - Nov 23 2017, Hong Kong to Singapore
Upcoming: RCCL Ovation of the Seas, Nov 23 to Dec 7 2017, Singapore to Sydney (B2B)

Sailed: RCCL Voyager of the Seas, Feb 21 - Mar 5, 2017, South Pacific / Fiji
Sailed: P&O Pacific Aria, Jan 27 - Feb 3, 2017, Qld Coastal
Sailed: RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Oct 8 to Nov 2, 2016, Seattle to Sydney, Repositioning
Sailed: Crown Princess, Sept 25 to Oct 5, 2016, Mexican Riviera
Sailed: P & O Pacific Aria, June 17 to June 19, 2016, Sydney to Brisbane
Sailed: Sun Princess, June 9 to June 11, 2016, Brisbane to Sydney
Sailed: RCCL Voyager of the Seas, April 16 to April 30, 2016, Sydney to Singapore Repositioning
Sailed: P & O Pacific Aria, Feb 29 to Mar 4, 2016, Brisbane to Brisbane, Aust East Coast
Sailed: RCCL Legend of the Seas, May 24 to June 11, 2015, Honolulu to Sydney
Sailed: RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Sept 16 to Oct 3, 2014 Honolulu to Sydney
Sailed: RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, May 3 - May 16, 2014 Honolulu to Vancouver (B2B)
Sailed: RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Apr 18 - May 3, 2014 Sydney to Honolulu
Sailed: Carnival Conquest, 2 - 9 Dec, 2012, Bahamas
Sailed: RCCL Oasis of the Seas, 25 Feb - 3 Mar 2012, Eastern Caribbean
Sailed: HAL Noordam, 13 - 24 Feb 2012, Southern Caribbean
Sailed: RCCL Freedom of the Seas, 5 - 12 Feb 2012, Western Caribbean
Sailed: Holland America Maasdam, 24 April - 7 May, 2011, New England/Canada
Sailed: RCCL Radiance of the Seas, 12 -23 April 2010 Mexican Riviera
Sailed: Star Super Virgo 18-23 October 2009 Singapore
Sailed: P&O Pacific Sun 28 Mar-9 April 2009, Pacific Islands
Sailed: Holland America Ryndam 7-14 May, 2008, Inside Passage, Alaska
Sailed: P&O Pacific Sun 12-21 Aug 2005, Pacific Islands
389 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
What is it about parents taking kids out of school willy nilly? You can't tell me they are all home-schooled. A parent with a child of school age has a responsibility to have the child in school IMO. A cruise to the Pacific Islands is generally not a high educational itinerary for most passengers. I can see why education departments are trying to crack down on kids missing school for holidays.
Perhaps I should duck and run now from all the parents/grandparents who do cruise with school age children in term time.
I can answer this (as someone who has taken kids out of school). Our workplaces require staff to rotate when they take their leave (ie. the entire team can't all be on leave in July school holidays). Also, most work places have certain times of the year when they are really busy & you can't take leave. Take into account most families have 2 parents working (with different busy periods in their jobs). The reality then becomes that its not always possible to take leave during the school holidays.

Personally, we only take the kids out of school if there is no other option. Even then we try to tack it onto the end or start of term so as not to disrupt their learning too much. They also bring school work with them and are able to log in to their classroom where ever we can get internet access.
Sydney, Australia
13,312 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Yes, have seen that a bit on RCL this past few years - as they increase their local capacity.

Best way to avoid it is generally the longer, and/or more expensive cruise, the less likely it will happen. E.g. was even pretty opposite on our Ovation cruise this year which was RCL but it was still expensive. e.g. lots more people dressed up than usual as well. But heading to south pacific islands, on a cheaper cruise, for 1-2 weeks it gets a lot more 'casual.'
Canberra Australia
34,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I think it also depends on the schools where the kids may (or in this case do not) go. Some schools are very strict with allowing kids to miss school for any reason other than illness.
Australia
376 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
No duck and cover required for me but I will give you my 5 cents worth. Visiting some of our closest neighbours and seeing how different they live to the way we live is very educational. As is learning to wait your turn, seeing immigration and custom procedures, being exposed to other currencies, and becoming aware that not everyone is the same as you but we all have to get along, adults and children, just the same.
187 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Something else to think about.
Everyones case in different.
We have a 16 year old daughter who has CP is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. She has just returned from her 13th cruise.

A cruise is a great way for Mum and Dad to have a break from the normal life of housework, cooking and cleaning as well as caring for a disabled child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Wauchope NSW
4,196 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by [email protected]
Something else to think about.
Everyones case in different.
We have a 16 year old daughter who has CP is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. She has just returned from her 13th cruise.

A cruise is a great way for Mum and Dad to have a break from the normal life of housework, cooking and cleaning as well as caring for a disabled child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Absolutely, we just took our little 5yr grandson on a 3 night cruise, he had two days off school.
His parents separated at Xmas, he moved house, started Kindy.
He walked off the ship with his lanyard and cruise card, t shirt he painted and medal he won around his neck and a big smile!!!

I agree it isnt beneficial all the time and every ones circumstances are different.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern Star x 1
Fairstar x 2
Pacific Sky x 1
Pacific Sun x 4
Pacific Dawn x 3
Fair Princess x 1
Dawn Princess x 4
Diamond Princess x 3
Sapphire Princess x 2
Emerald Princess x 1
Arcadia x 1
Queen Mary 2 x 1
Solstice x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 1
Explorer of the Seas x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 1
Carmival Spirit x 1
NSW Australia
194 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Every circumstance is different, I run my own business, it would stupid of me to take time off at the busiest times, My son is on the autistic spectrum, at the end of year 2 at school he was still at kindergarten level, he was at a private school with lots of learning programs for kids with difficulties but it still was not enough, we had no choice but to pull him out of school and home school him, now after 2 years of home school he has caught up to his correct year level after lots of hard work, time and effort.
I would love nothing more to be able to send my son to school but I don't have that choice.

Learning can be done anywhere and once outside the constraints of the education system it's amazing what kids will learn and want to learn about.
Before you judge others maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Sydney
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
I don't understand why cruise lines like Celebrity don't have Adults only itineraries?

There seem to be a lot of people who would prefer to travel without kids on board and we don't all want to spend the amounts charged by the luxury cruise lines. At the moment it seems that every cruise line based in Australia is aimed at families; not ideal for a early 40s Childfree couple like my husband and I (and yes we travel outside of school holidays and still we can't avoid them).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked
P&O Pacific Explorer weekend cruise Mar 2018

Sailed

Celebrity Solstice Fiji & South Pacific Mar 2017P&O Pacific Eden Morton Island Jan 2017
P&O Pacific Jewel Morton Island Mar 2016
P&O Pacific Eden Food & Wine Feb 2016
RC Voyager of the Seas South Pacific Nov 2015
P&O Pacific Jewel Food & Wine Jan 2010
Canberra Australia
34,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by messej01
I don't understand why cruise lines like Celebrity don't have Adults only itineraries?

There seem to be a lot of people who would prefer to travel without kids on board and we don't all want to spend the amounts charged by the luxury cruise lines. At the moment it seems that every cruise line based in Australia is aimed at families; not ideal for a early 40s Childfree couple like my husband and I (and yes we travel outside of school holidays and still we can't avoid them).
I think the cruise lines that limit the amount of kids on board like P&O do a pretty good job as they only have so much room in the kid's clubs and the kids actually enjoy going to them. Other lines X and Princess are basically pricing families /kids off them with limited activities and the additional costs. It really only leaves RCI and Carnival that are sitting somewhere in between where they cater for so many kids and families but do not limit it to that number.
Sydney, Australia
13,312 Posts
Joined Oct 2008

First off, the major lines are good at finding what is in their financial interest, so it can be seen there is still more money to be made for catering for all, than just for niche markets.

That said, the only viable way to do it is to do it on a ship wide basis, as P&O do. It's far too complicated and confusing to do it on an itinerary basis. Simply, people book as groups, invite friends then have problems because they find others can't come and get very annoyed. Similarly, people have an experience on one itinerary than make a natural assumption on another itinerary and similar get surprised and thus annoyed when it is different. Adding to that, the complication just on those travel staff who do know the difference, but then need to search out the different rules on each sailing when working with customers.
Sydney, Australia
6,623 Posts
Joined Jan 2014

We cruised NZ on Celebrity last month and I don't think I saw a single kid onboard, although there probably were a few. However there would probably be more on a South Pacific cruise.

We also did a Carnival South Pacific cruise and found it quite easy to stay out of the way of the kids most of the time. We used the Serenity area, had the late traditional dinner sitting, and frequented the Piano Bar after dinner. The only time we saw kids was around some of the bars during pre-dinner drinks, or when getting lunch from the buffet.

We've also been on a number of other cruises, including two Christmas cruises, but have rarely been annoyed by kids on a ship. Most ships have adults-only areas and pools and, at least in our region, these seem to stay kid-free.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney

Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Australia
971 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by MicCanberra
I think the cruise lines that limit the amount of kids on board like P&O do a pretty good job as they only have so much room in the kid's clubs and the kids actually enjoy going to them. Other lines X and Princess are basically pricing families /kids off them with limited activities and the additional costs. It really only leaves RCI and Carnival that are sitting somewhere in between where they cater for so many kids and families but do not limit it to that number.
I think you'll find Princess limits the number of children too. The parents who choose these trips know their kids aren't going to get the whizz bang ziplines and wave pools but what they do get is the opportunity to mix with other kids on a real level, share experiences and develop friendships.

We've frequently seen young teens dressed to the nines on formal night going off to their disco, sharing happy/sad farewells at dawn on embarkation day, but aside from swatting for exams in the quiet of the library or dining with their parents in the MDR we've not noticed them around the ship the whole cruise. Where were they hiding? Or is it that they and we, were so busy with our own activities that we didn't notice how many kids were onboard until it was time to get off?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canberra Australia
34,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by wishfulone
I think you'll find Princess limits the number of children too. The parents who choose these trips know their kids aren't going to get the whizz bang ziplines and wave pools but what they do get is the opportunity to mix with other kids on a real level, share experiences and develop friendships.
Good to know that they do have good kid's clubs but numbers are limited.