Beverage Package....

watergal

Was wondering about the beverage package as offered in their marketing scheme. In some, the beverage package includes all champagne, wine and beer during lunch and dinner. In the 'prestige package' it includes spirits, champagne, wine and beer....and there's the catch. 'Spirits.' If we would like a pre dinner cocktail or an after dinner specialty coffee, it's not included in the regular beverage package - the one we booked thinking it included everything regardless the name brands and confirmed with our 'agent.'

My question is: After speaking with Oceania, they tell me I can 'upgrade' when we're onboard. Even with the highest end vodka for a martini, it would appear our penchant for a martini before dinner is less expensive than upgrading.

Would really appreciate any and all input here.

If you only have 1 Martini before dinner then just stick with the House select & pay for the Martini at the time

If you are likely to drink more than 1 drink during the day other than wine & beer at meals then upgrade at $20 pp pd

Personal choice only you can make

I like one martini before dinner, and maybe 2. However, their pour is REAL SMALL, so very small.

We do the beverage package and then we don't have to worry. We just count it as part of the cruise. It is so much easier than worrying.

I mean REAL SMALL! LOL

Yes all coffee are included, however if you want alcohol in them they will charge you for that addition. You can always upgrade your package once you are on the ship, and you could do it on the second or third day of the cruise, prorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by blambition

What is not being addressed here is that the House Beverage Package includes service ONLY DURING THE TIME WHEN THE PASSENGER IS EATING LUNCHEON OR DINNER (i.e. service in any bar or lounge is specifically excluded).

It is true that a mixed drink such as a Martini wold only be covered under the Prestige Package, but to my mind, WHERE the passenger cares to imbibe will usually take precedence over the what, if push should come to shove.

What have I missed? Isn't coffee, all coffees, (without alcohol) included in the cruise fare?

Maybe they were thinking of Irish Coffee or just used to Main stream lines where the good coffee is an extra charge ;)

We enjoyed the unlimited beverage package on our first O cruise a TA last year. It was worth every penny.

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

Ditto.My husband enjoyed some top shelf brandies and I liked the fact that if you had a package you get champagne in your Kir Royal,otherwise you get sparkling wine...Not sure if I would purchase it for more than a week though!!!

your 1 martini before dinner and a drink after are NOT covered in the basic package. As mentioned the pours are very short and most of us ask for a double to get what we normally get in a bar on land. Thats $25 for 1 martini and for an after dinner port a $20 to 30 for a class.

Just came back from a 17 day cruise with 10 sea days, kept a record and it was easy to build $100 a day

Prove it too yourself... go the first 2 days without the prem package and keep a record.. Then if you choose you can up-grade based on your real experience. It is not a problem to up grade several days into the cruise.

your 1 martini before dinner and a drink after are NOT covered in the basic package. As mentioned the pours are very short and most of us ask for a double to get what we normally get in a bar on land. Thats $25 for 1 martini and for an after dinner port a $20 to 30 for a class.

Just came back from a 17 day cruise with 10 sea days, kept a record and it was easy to build $100 a day

Prove it too yourself... go the first 2 days without the prem package and keep a record.. Then if you choose you can up-grade based on your real experience. It is not a problem to up grade several days into the cruise.

Thank you, Hawaiidan! You summarized it carefully, mathematically and succinctly!!

• 4 months later...

Going on Riviera in May and am considering the Premium package but just read latest review. The reviewer said it was difficult getting drinks (other than wine) in the various dining rooms. I had expected to have before and/or after dinner drinks while dining. Anyone else have difficulties in getting bar service in the dining venues?

Going on Riviera in May and am considering the Premium package but just read latest review. The reviewer said it was difficult getting drinks (other than wine) in the various dining rooms. I had expected to have before and/or after dinner drinks while dining. Anyone else have difficulties in getting bar service in the dining venues?

The service bar for the Grand Dining Room, as an example, is on the far side of the Elevator Lobby. Unless one is sitting very near the port side door, it will take a waiter ten minutes just to walk there and back. It can be accomplished, but do yourself a favor and avoid peak dining hours.

x_094951.jpg

...Then if you choose you can up-grade based on your real experience. It is not a problem to up grade several days into the cruise.

My apologies if this is a stupid question...

I have all intentions of upgrading to the prestige package once onboard, if I wait until the second day are the drinks I purchase the first day credited back?

I have all intentions of upgrading to the prestige package once onboard, if I wait until the second day are the drinks I purchase the first day credited back?

No. But I think if you have a couple of drinks on the second day before you upgrade they will credit them back. On the plus side you won't be charged for the first day, so it all works out good.

If you plan on having 2 + drinks on day one just upgrade when you board for the $20

Unless you will only drink wine/beer at dinner it is a no brainer :cool:

Edited by LHT28

No. But I think if you have a couple of drinks on the second day before you upgrade they will credit them back. On the plus side you won't be charged for the first day, so it all works out good.

Makes sense, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

3 quick questions about the regular beverage package

.....if you are eating at WAVES any time while they are serving lunch will your glass of wine be included (thinking of a late lunch after coming back from tour) or is it just during the time lunch is served in the GDR or Terrace?

Second question - we will be in a penthouse and enjoy having dinner served in our room - is wine included in these meals?

3rd question - if you order lunch from room service is the glass of wine included?

We had the full beverage package last cruise and trying to decide, based on our drinking habits, if it is worth paying the upgrade on our next cruise. We drink only wine and so if all of the above are a "yes" than the regular beverage package will work just fine for us along with bottles of wine in our room to enjoy a glass on our balcony before/after dinner.

Thanks in advance....

3 quick questions about the regular beverage package

.....if you are eating at WAVES any time while they are serving lunch will your glass of wine be included (thinking of a late lunch after coming back from tour) or is it just during the time lunch is served in the GDR or Terrace?

Second question - we will be in a penthouse and enjoy having dinner served in our room - is wine included in these meals?

3rd question - if you order lunch from room service is the glass of wine included?

We had the full beverage package last cruise and trying to decide, based on our drinking habits, if it is worth paying the upgrade on our next cruise. We drink only wine and so if all of the above are a "yes" than the regular beverage package will work just fine for us along with bottles of wine in our room to enjoy a glass on our balcony before/after dinner.

Thanks in advance....

Greetings

I think the answer to all of your questions is "yes". Here's a link to an earlier thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623425

Good Sailing

Tom

Yes, we have heard that the "premium" or "prestige" or whatever a particular cruise line calls it, beverage package is "worth it" for some (and a LOT of those "somes" have weighed in on other threads, too. For many it isn't so much about the price totals but the "convenience" of whenever and wherever (and I am one of those people) that closes the deal. But, like it or not, alcohol is a major, MAJOR source of cruise line income (you realize you can get about 30+ shots out of one fifth, correct?) and I have long suspected that folks have no idea how much they are actually paying for that "convenience." But they'll say what has already been said: "It's part of the price of the cruise" and they're right; it is!