SS United States

Thank you for the post on the United States. Too bad Crystal pulled out of redoing her, but I understand the economics.She still is a beautiful ship, and I hope she doesn't end up like the Norway in a scrap heap.

Thank you for the post on the United States. Too bad Crystal pulled out of redoing her, but I understand the economics.She still is a beautiful ship, and I hope she doesn't end up like the Norway in a scrap heap.

Thanks, I have a feeling she will end up going for scrap after all is said and done. It cost $60,000 a month just to let her sit

Unfortunately, I think the SS US is between a rock and a hard place.

Economically impossible to restore and update, yet too beautiful to send to its grave, either as scrap or reef.

Great memories of sneaking into the yard when she was in Newport News for pictures, and sitting in the SS United States Lounge at the Windmill Point Restaurant in Nags Head, NC which had a huge collection of memorabilia, including one of the original bars, which had name plates for those who were once seated there, the original table and chairs from the dining rooms and much more (pictures here)

Plus my own limited collection, lots of menus and daily event notices as well as a life preserver still in its original package.

Economically impossible to restore and update, yet too beautiful to send to its grave, either as scrap or reef.

Great memories of sneaking into the yard when she was in Newport News for pictures, and sitting in the SS United States Lounge at the Windmill Point Restaurant in Nags Head, NC which had a huge collection of memorabilia, including one of the original bars, which had name plates for those who were once seated there, the original table and chairs from the dining rooms and much more (pictures here)

Plus my own limited collection, lots of menus and daily event notices as well as a life preserver still in its original package.

I remember eating a WMP a bunch of times and seeing the collection, must have closed down about a dozen years ago. They had the best food on OBX, with Owens a close second

I remember eating a WMP a bunch of times and seeing the collection, must have closed down about a dozen years ago. They had the best food on OBX, with Owens a close second

Closed in 2007. Sat empty for years before being burned down for fire training in 2011. The collection was moved, obviously, before they torched it.

Closed in 2007. Sat empty for years before being burned down for fire training in 2011. The collection was moved, obviously, before they torched it.

Real shame, loved the restaurant!

waaaay off topic but my grandparents had a cottage (not the newport kind) in Kitty Hawk where i spent summers...we NEVER ate out as my grandmother had raised children in the depression and you just....didn't! Anyway, she made the best crabcakes - i had her teach me when I was older but never had any as good after she died....until I happened to go to Basnight's Lone Cedar....OMG, just like she made. No breading, delicious crab....yum, wish I could have one (or three right now) and oh yeah, they also have 9 layer chocolate cake like she used to make too.

Thanks for reminding me of those pleasant memories!

Rented a beautiful house across from Owens this past summer and went looking for WMP for dinner one evening. Been about 7-8 years since our last visit. Used to go about every other summer. Disappointing to discover what you guys explained. Found out most artifacts from the United States ended up at the Mariner Museum in Newport News. Still have Sam and Omies. :) Great memories..... Regards, Gerry.