Regent doesn't understand the ADA!

About a year ago,we booked a cruise of the Caribbean on the Mariner on March 28, 2017. We booked a Category H guarantee. Late last winter, my wife's back began to give her problems that were serious. We are fortunate to have some of the best spinal surgeons in the US right here in Durango, CO. They recommended major spinal surgery, which was performed on February 8. She has recovered very well. But I was concerned that some of the Category H bathrooms still hand those elevated bath tub shower combinations that were too high for her to climb into. We asked our TA to get us a guarantee that we could get one of those suites that had been converted into a single walk-in shower, due to her post-surgical disability. Our TA was unable to get us such a guarantee, even on the alternative of cancelation on our travel insurance. Regent's excuse was we didn't request such at booking. Of course, we didn't know of my wife's back problem at the time of booking. The only option Regent would give is the option of a guaranteed shower stall in category D for an additional $200 per person more. We took it because my wife really wanted to go, instead of cancelling.

While that may be a good price for an upgrade from Category H guarantee to Category D, the benefits to us are negligible to us as were are Seven Seas Gold. And given the fact that only of two of the eight category H suites on the Mariner remain with the insane elevated tub/shower combination, and that the category D suites are no larger, I feel that Regent should have realized that they encourage people to book early, and that those people may develop physical disabilities between book in cruise date. And in that event, Regent should read the Americans with Disabilities act. I know that there was some disagreement about whether foreign flagged cruise ships were subject to that ADA, but that all agreed to it (especially on cruises like this from the US to the US) out of the correct belief that it would be held to apply to them.

I feel that the main point of this post is that Regent disregards disabilities that occur between the time of booking and the time of the cruise, and refuses to accommodate them, without an upcharge (which is not allowed by the ADA). Well, my wife really wanted to go, so we agreed to pay the extra $400 just to get her a shower she could get in to. So some will say this mess is our fault, too. But I shall say this: If this isn't a really great cruise otherwise, it will be our last Regent cruise.

Dolebludger, I am really glad that your wife came through the surgery well and that you will be able to take your cruise. I am sorry that you feel that you should not have occurred the extra cost for the D suite because of ADA requirements. I look at it as an adjustment or compromise made by Regent because implicit in the purchase of a "guarantee" suite is that you get what you get when offered, (no choice). I think the bathtubs on the Mariner are a hazard for anyone and therefore I would never purchase a "guarantee" suite on the Mariner. It isn't worth taking a chance of not getting a great walk-in shower. I hope your Caribbean cruise is wonderful. Angie

Wow.

Dolebludger, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's back. Back problems are not good, not good at all. I'm glad she's recovering well.

That said, though, it seems to me that you're blaming Regent for something that occurred between booking and departure, and also something over which they had no control. It sounds like Regent has made every effort to accommodate you so it really doesn't seem fair to come here and blast them for not being able to give you exactly what you want.

I don't know much about the ADA, nut it seems to me that any ban on upcharges would only apply to the same class of service. In your case, you're being bumped up four categories for what amounts to a small fraction of the normal upcharge. Looks like you got a $1,000 pp upgrade for $200 pp -personally I'd be thankful for them trying to help rather than being upset that you feel the benefits are negligible.

You say you're Gold on Regent - you should know the inherent pitfalls in booking a guarantee suite. I hope the cruise lives up to your wife's expectations, as it sounds as if she's the one really wanting to go on this cruise. I hope you don't let the $200 pp get your cruise off to a bad start...

Wow.

Dolebludger, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's back. Back problems are not good, not good at all. I'm glad she's recovering well.

That said, though, it seems to me that you're blaming Regent for something that occurred between booking and departure, and also something over which they had no control. It sounds like Regent has made every effort to accommodate you so it really doesn't seem fair to come here and blast them for not being able to give you exactly what you want.

I don't know much about the ADA, nut it seems to me that any ban on upcharges would only apply to the same class of service. In your case, you're being bumped up four categories for what amounts to a small fraction of the normal upcharge. Looks like you got a $1,000 pp upgrade for $200 pp -personally I'd be thankful for them trying to help rather than being upset that you feel the benefits are negligible.

You say you're Gold on Regent - you should know the inherent pitfalls in booking a guarantee suite. I hope the cruise lives up to your wife's expectations, as it sounds as if she's the one really wanting to go on this cruise. I hope you don't let the $200 pp get your cruise off to a bad start...

Well said..

Dolebludger, I'm so happy that your wife is doing well after her surgery and you're able to take the cruise.

We booked late and have a G guarantee on the Mariner for April 11th. I know we're the exception as we requested a cabin with a bathtub. We like having the option to either shower or soak. Thus far we haven't had any difficulty getting in or out of the tub (knock on wood).

I think you got a good deal on the upgraded D cabin and hope you have a fantastic cruise.

The ADA would only apply to the same class of service, and there are several category H rooms on this ship with showers. Regent just wouldn't guarantee us one. And accommodations for disabilities doesn't depend on when the disability occurred.

At the time of booking nobody had any disability regarding getting into an elevated tub like those involved. The main problem guests have with those is lack of headroom. The distance from tub floor to ceiling is only 6' 2". But we are short people, so this doesn't matter.

This is a small matter, but not quite the level of accommodation one would expect from a first class, lux cruise line.

You are asking Regent to throw someone else out of their "chosen" cabin to accommodate your wife. You chose to book a "guarantee" and then due to a new medical issue wanted to put limitations on that guarantee. Regent simply said under the rules you booked we can't/won't do that BUT this is what we can do for you. Seems like a good compromise to me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder if Regent ships are covered by ADA laws since they are registered outside of the U.S.? While I know that they make accommodations for the disabled (as they should), I must agree that booking a guarantee is always a risk. On the Mariner we always book a shower suite (although we can get out of the tub, the tub/shower set up is uncomfortable at best). In any case, I'm glad that the TS (Thread Starter) was able to get a shower suite and I'm very happy that his DW's surgery was successful.

When the ADA was adopted, it is my understanding that the cruise lines with main offices in the US recognized that there was a question as to their coverage under this law. But since they felt they probably were, they agreed to abide by it. And the ADA aside, I feel that a line of Regent's class should accommodate disabilities, regardless of when they occur. No, I would not want Regent to kick anybody out of a suite they had specifically booked. I would only expect a line in Regent's to do what is necessary to accommodate a person at no charge who develops a mobility disability between time of booking and time of sailing -- ADA or not -- provided that such accommodation is possible.

Some here may not agree with me, and that is OK. And this is not an "earth-shaking" problem. Had it been solely up to me I would have canceled and used my travel insurance. But my wife really wanted to go, and I don't blame her after what she's been through. But I feel the handling of this matter was uncharacteristic of what we have come to expect from Regent.

Wow.

Fully agree

Unless I am missing something it seems as though Regent handled this situation very sympathetically

Dolebludger, Hope you and your wife have a thoroughly enjoyable cruise

When the ADA was adopted, it is my understanding that the cruise lines with main offices in the US recognized that there was a question as to their coverage under this law. But since they felt they probably were, they agreed to abide by it. And the ADA aside, I feel that a line of Regent's class should accommodate disabilities, regardless of when they occur. No, I would not want Regent to kick anybody out of a suite they had specifically booked. I would only expect a line in Regent's to do what is necessary to accommodate a person at no charge who develops a mobility disability between time of booking and time of sailing -- ADA or not -- provided that such accommodation is possible.

Some here may not agree with me, and that is OK. And this is not an "earth-shaking" problem. Had it been solely up to me I would have canceled and used my travel insurance. But my wife really wanted to go, and I don't blame her after what she's been through. But I feel the handling of this matter was uncharacteristic of what we have come to expect from Regent.

As usual, I had to do some research and foreign cruise ships do have to follow the ADA policies and make "reasonable accommodations" for disabled guests. I read a lawsuit against Carnival Corporation from 2015 and found it interesting. For instance, if the bathtub suites had something installed by the bathtub to make it more accessible to people with disabilities, it sounds like that could suffice. I take this to mean a handle attached to the wall that one could hold on to when entering or exiting the bath, etc. There is also a section which speaks to having 3% accessible cabins which Regent definitely complies with.

The tough part is when the 3% accessible cabins are full which seems to be what you were up against. I have to agree that Regent's offer was fair and accommodating. I also understand that Radisson/Regent two owners ago may have upgraded you at no cost. However, the ships were running half full at that time and that must be taken into consideration.

Main reason I would never book a guarantee on Mariner is because of the shower vs tub situation. When you book a guarantee, you are saying you will take what they assign you. I think the deal they offered is very generous. It is a bargain.

Dolebludger, I don't think you are going to get much sympathy on this one. The key to me is that you could have cancelled and received your trip insurance. Your DW wanted to go, however, and you expect Regent to change things because of an unexpected problem. That is what the insurance was for; not an upgrade if you wish to continue. I am not a lawyer, but I am not sure that you even have a case under the ADA since you had a remedy AND your request for relief was imo not medically prescribed. You posted it was your concern, not the MD's.

Excuse me if I am speaking out of ignorance - obviously the UK Disability Act is probably somewhat different to the US ADA, albeit I am sure the principals are the same

However, isn't Travel Insurance there to cover issues that occur after booking and are not covered by the cruise company or travel operator?

If you booked an H GTY (i.e. no specific H cabins available at time of booking), then how could you expect one with shower-only to definitely come available when cabins were finally allocated. i.e. it would have been impossible for Regent to be able to promise you a shower only H

I seriously doubt that the insurance will cover an upgrade, and if you have a deductible it'll be a wash.

But it seems to me that you booked a $9,600 cruise and due to no fault of Regent you've been upgraded to a $12,000 cabin for just a $400 upgrade fee...on a cruise that's totally waitlisted at this point in time, no less. But you've already gotten so fired up about not getting a shower stall (when you booked a Gty to begin with) that I'm guessing you're going to be unhappy with this cruise no matter what else Regent does to try and help you.

My advice? Pay the extra $400, have a few extra drinks and/or desserts to make up for it, don't worry about it and just enjoy the cruise.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and I hope your wife at least has a good cruise.

No, Bill, I'm not going to make a Federal case out of this (literally or figuratively) I am just disappointed with Regent at this point. And I know the rssc site shows the ship totally wait listed, but we were given a choice of three open category D suites, so we know there are two of those left. Not the first time the rssc site has been a bit off. From a practical standpoint, there is no size difference between the H and D. And all the additional perks of the D are exceeded by our Gold status perks.

I think you misunderstand. We had a category H guarantee, and Regent wouldn't guarantee us one of those with a shower stall that we need due to my wife's post-surgery lack of range of motion. So they offered us a category D with a shower stall at an upcharge, and told our TA there were three available and we could choose. Since we chose one category D suite, the other two are probably still available.

One lesson to be learned here is that when you book a "guarantee" suite, you don't know what you will get. As you know, on other ships, a guarantee could be a lot worse than on the Mariner (aft or forward suite on the Navigator or an aft suite on the Voyager for instance). It is pretty obvious that any upgrades are for whatever is left on the ship (i.e. suites that did not sell for whatever reason). On the Mariner, the odds of getting a bathtub suite is extremely high since the shower suites generally sell out first.

IMO, you should accept what has happened and go on your cruise with a positive attitude. Ideally, your wife would not have needed surgery, you would have booked a shower suite and you would not be upset as you appear to be now. Sometimes letting go of things that you can't change is a good thing.

Sorry, You're right.

My point is, however, a gty doesn't get you a shower if none are available in H. Others may have already signed up for them. If I had and was told sorry we're taking the cabin you paid for to give to another passenger I would be irate. A gty on any cruise line does not give you a choice.

It seems like your criticizing Regent for not offering you something they didn't have to offer. I think it's obvious the ADA and shower cabins in category H were taken. I would say $400 (on a $10,000 cruise) is a very reasonable solution to the problem.

Travelcat2,

Yes, I am going on the cruise with a positive attitude. I have bigger battles to fight than those involving this shower situation. I have always found that once onboard a Regent ship, a good time is virtually guaranteed! But it has been my experience that dealing with Regent's home office is (shall we say) not as much fun. As I have said, this is not a very big deal. I was just a bit disappointed with Regent's home office. But given my experience with them in the past, perhaps I shouldn't have been. But I know that once onboard, all is well!:)

Rich - From one retired lawyer to another, I would suggest that your suggestions that Regent has not offered reasonable accommodation are somewhat exaggerated and not well-founded in ADA law.

First, it is not "reasonable" to expect Regent to provide an "H" cabin with shower if no such cabins are left un-booked.

Second, you booked the most inexpensive cabin option yet expect Regent to accommodate your changed circumstances at no additional cost whatever, even though you could very easily have booked a cabin in the first place that would now suffice for your and your wife's needs.

Finally, the accommodation that Regent has offered at a very low additional cost to you is likely more that the cruise line would have been required under the ADA, considering that one of the elements of "reasonable accommodation" is the requisite cost to the service provider.

We all recognize that you have had previous "issues" with Regent, particularly concerning vibration in aft cabins. With all due respect, perhaps it might be "reasonable" for you to look at other cruising options than Regent, as your recent history with that line seems to have had less than optimal success.

Please believe that I am not trying to be obstructive or cynical; but when one has significant problems with any travel provider, as you seem to have had, one might well look to alternative providers, no?

Cheers, Fred