Detroit to Orlando

jtdlmc

Is Delta the only carrier who flies non-stop, direct flights from DTW to MCO? All other carriers I have looked at either only fly in/out 2 a week (Frontier) or have no non-stop flights (United, AA) or is it just too early yet - I'm looking at early next year. Maybe they add flights along the way? Southwest or Spirit itineraries aren't out that far ahead but last year same time frame there were no non-stop Southwest flights either.

With the issues all Canadians are having crossing the borders here in SW Ontario this past week, I have no plans to book our flights anytime soon, but just wondering if anyone else has found non-stop flights other than Delta?

I did a quick look on matrix - other then Delta and Spirit (which I'd NEVER recommend), there were no nonstop showing for a randomly selected date. Sorry.

As for issues Canadians have been having crossing the border: As an American, if the issues have been caused by our side, my apologies. I know there were issues back in January where women were denied entry to the US because they said they were going to participate in the Women's Marches. I did not know things were still ongoing.

Was there another issue besides the one where skilled nurses were having difficulties crossing (not good, the Detroit hospitals depend on this workforce and they are now short handed)?

I hadn't heard about one that impacted normal border crossings, so I'm just curious, if the border has become a pain in the butt to cross now for just ordinary citizens. When checking for potential flights, I do the reverse of you and check to see if there are any deals leaving from Windsor, with stops in Toronto.

Was there another issue besides the one where skilled nurses were having difficulties crossing (not good, the Detroit hospitals depend on this workforce and they are now short handed)?

I hadn't heard about one that impacted normal border crossings, so I'm just curious, if the border has become a pain in the butt to cross now for just ordinary citizens. When checking for potential flights, I do the reverse of you and check to see if there are any deals leaving from Windsor, with stops in Toronto.

Yes there have been several reported issues, latest being a van load of university students going on a volunteer trip with Habitat for Humanity - one van got through the other didn't. I sat in the Nexus lane going into the US last week for 45 minutes to get 8 cars through - obviously some extra questioning or whatever going on there. The car in front of me and myself were flagged right through though. The last news article I read quoting an immigration lawyer said the border crossing guards basically now have carte blanche - they can turn you away for any reason at all and don't have to give you a reason - and morale has increased significantly....... so I'm thinking it will only get worse.

Actually the fares out now for my timeframe are actually cheaper leaving from Toronto but a much longer drive than to Detroit and taking flights with connections in Toronto are even longer than the drive :) but depending on how things go, we just may make the drive.

Is Delta the only carrier who flies non-stop, direct flights from DTW to MCO? All other carriers I have looked at either only fly in/out 2 a week (Frontier) or have no non-stop flights (United, AA)

Detroit is a hub city for Delta, which is why you find a lot of non-stops from Detroit to various other cities on Delta only.

Yes there have been several reported issues, latest being a van load of university students going on a volunteer trip with Habitat for Humanity - one van got through the other didn't. I sat in the Nexus lane going into the US last week for 45 minutes to get 8 cars through - obviously some extra questioning or whatever going on there. The car in front of me and myself were flagged right through though. The last news article I read quoting an immigration lawyer said the border crossing guards basically now have carte blanche - they can turn you away for any reason at all and don't have to give you a reason - and morale has increased significantly....... so I'm thinking it will only get worse.

Actually the fares out now for my timeframe are actually cheaper leaving from Toronto but a much longer drive than to Detroit and taking flights with connections in Toronto are even longer than the drive :) but depending on how things go, we just may make the drive.

Thanks, the press on this side hasn't made us aware ...other than the nurse issue. It might be something Alaska cruisers might have to watch for between the Vancouver and Seattle.

Wow. I am disheartened at this. Again, I apologize on behalf of most Americans for this treatment of our friends to the North. I will be exiting a cruise in Vancouver in April - if I am harassed by Canadian officials, I will accept it as my "punishment" for the poor behavior of the US CBP and those higher ups who treat Canadians like undesirables.

Wow. I am disheartened at this. Again, I apologize on behalf of most Americans for this treatment of our friends to the North. I will be exiting a cruise in Vancouver in April - if I am harassed by Canadian officials, I will accept it as my "punishment" for the poor behavior of the US CBP and those higher ups who treat Canadians like undesirables.

Thanks Slidergirl, but is no fault of your own :) Hopefully the only one the Canadian officials harass is the top guy himself ;) Not to get into politics here, but I do agree with keeping your country safe, but this is going a bit too far, it seems like it is going to get out of hand when he is turning away one and all! Won't be good for the cruise industry or any other places in the US that are heavily visited by Canadians.

I find this post odd. You aren't responsible for what any officials do.

The Royal Jordanian tweet has been pulled, story about ban here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tsa-dhs-will-bar-electronic-devices-some-overseas-flights-n736086

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/news/companies/middle-east-airline-electronics-ban/index.html

I find this post odd. You aren't responsible for what any officials do.

The Royal Jordanian tweet has been pulled, story about ban here:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tsa-dhs-will-bar-electronic-devices-some-overseas-flights-n736086

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/news/companies/middle-east-airline-electronics-ban/index.html

Thanks for the additional reports. I'm still trying to figure out if they are specific threats.. or the same threats that someone believes should be more specifically addressed.

Edited by buggins0402