Different middle name on birth certificate?

Somehow a few years ago my middle name got spelled wrong on my driver's license. "Rnea" instead of "Renea". I had my three children with me at the DMV so I totally didn't notice the error. I've gotten along just fine with it as-is. I do intend to fix it, it's just never been at the top of my priority list lol.

Is this going to be a problem with the cruise line? We are taking MSC. I usually bring my birth certificate, DL and marriage license. I haven't cruised since this little name mishap.

What name is your cruise booked under? Amanda R. Or Amanda Renea? If the former, you likely will not have a problem, but it is possible that a sharp-eyed clerk will question it. I would say go get this fixed immediately but you have left it too late for an April 1 cruise. So unless you have another government picture ID with your correct name, you will have to hope that nobody notices it.

I know you are hoping everyone will say 'no big deal', and I wish I could say that for you. But it could be a big deal, or it could not be noticed at all. You won't know until you board. Good luck.

What name is your cruise booked under? Amanda R. Or Amanda Renea? If the former, you likely will not have a problem, but it is possible that a sharp-eyed clerk will question it. I would say go get this fixed immediately but you have left it too late for an April 1 cruise. So unless you have another government picture ID with your correct name, you will have to hope that nobody notices it.

I know you are hoping everyone will say 'no big deal', and I wish I could say that for you. But it could be a big deal, or it could not be noticed at all. You won't know until you board. Good luck.

My middle name isn't listed anywhere on the registration. I suppose I will visit the DMV to finally get this taken care of :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry: lol.

Just make sure that if you update your DL now, that you will have a picture ID to take with you on the cruise. What with the Real ID act, many states now only issue paper receipts....so ask those questions before you 'invalidate' your current license. 😉

If there is time it's best to get this fixed before the cruise, especially since it should be fixed anyway. (When we applied for passports I inadvertently left the "E" off of DW's middle name and we immediately applied for the correction.)

The problem with Middle Names is much more of an issue with TSA then the cruise lines. These days, when you purchase an airline ticket the airline must ask for your middle name...which is then forwarded to TSA and also on your airline ticket. When you go through the TSA checkpoint (at the airport) they agent will normally match the name on your airline ticket to your ID...and (in theory) they must match. If your Passport (assuming you have one) has your proper middle name (it better) you could use that with TSA as your ID. If you use your drivers license with the missing letter...the TSA agent may or may not even notice. But if he/she does notice, they can give you a hard time and it might delay you getting through security while they ask questions and research the issue.

Hank

That seems to be a peculiarly American custom. In other parts of the world, you can change your surname - or not, if you so wish - but retain the middle name you were given on your birth certificate.

I've seen more of this with the younger generation. Most of my generation took their husband's surname and dropped their's. I've seen it also when there are children involved and mom keeping her's and taking her husband's surname because her children have bear her surname.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think it's more of a family's tradition. Mom, both grandmothers, MIL and myself all use First Maiden Husband. SIL decided to use First Middle Husband but on Faceb**k she uses First Maiden Husband.

There was a time when it was custom in the US for a woman getting married to use her maiden name as her middle name. For the last 30 to 40 years, it has been less common. I've been married for 25 years. I use the middle name on my BC as my middle name. On FB, I listed my maiden name and married name. I took my husband's last name because I did not like my maiden name. All a personal choice. I know people who crammed both names together to make one name and both people changed their last name. Why not? Why should the woman change her name and not the man.

As for the OP, it might be worth the time and money to get a passport and pay the excess fees to get it fast if you are able to travel to a city where you can do it on the spot.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

There was a time when it was custom in the US for a woman getting married to use her maiden name as her middle name. For the last 30 to 40 years, it has been less common. I've been married for 25 years. I use the middle name on my BC as my middle name. On FB, I listed my maiden name and married name. I took my husband's last name because I did not like my maiden name. All a personal choice. I know people who crammed both names together to make one name and both people changed their last name. Why not? Why should the woman change her name and not the man.

As for the OP, it might be worth the time and money to get a passport and pay the excess fees to get it fast if you are able to travel to a city where you can do it on the spot.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I kept my whole maiden name and just added my husband's name at the end. So I now have 2 middle names (original middle name plus maiden last name).

Amanda ~ I recommend you get your license corrected and purchase a passport. Every agent looking at your cruise ticket or airline boarding pass are different. I encourage you to ensure that everything matches to eliminate the chance of having problems.