Hawaii Cruise worth it? $$$ NCL Pride of America

robinemma

Aloha,

Hubby & I travel to Hawaii twice a year and usually stay at a condo or a resort. We adore the Hawaiian Islands. Looking foward to Aulani next month.

We are looking at NCL Pride of America out of Honolulu in August '13 with friends & family... however, the $4K balcony cabin price tag seems expensive for two! Is $1900 per person typical for a balcony room on this cruise?

We sailed on Celebrity Solstice to the Eastern Caribbean a few years ago and didn't pay nearly the amount NCL wants for Hawaii. The Solstice is a beautiful ship - Pride of America's pictures and amenities don't appear to be all that great ~ am I wrong? Is the $$ worth it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Aloha,

Hubby & I travel to Hawaii twice a year and usually stay at a condo or a resort. We adore the Hawaiian Islands. Looking foward to Aulani next month.

We are looking at NCL Pride of America out of Honolulu in August '13 with friends & family... however, the $4K balcony cabin price tag seems expensive for two! Is $1900 per person typical for a balcony room on this cruise?

We sailed on Celebrity Solstice to the Eastern Caribbean a few years ago and didn't pay nearly the amount NCL wants for Hawaii. The Solstice is a beautiful ship - Pride of America's pictures and amenities don't appear to be all that great ~ am I wrong? Is the $$ worth it?

I don't know if you can honestly compare an Eastern Caribbean cruise to a Hawaiian cruise...totally different animals (IMHO).

As to whether or not its "worth it" . . . well "worth" is a VERY subjective term. What is "worth it" to one person might not be to another. Obviously you want to know if its "worth it" to you as you wouldn't care whether it was "worth it" to me. I honestly don't know how I, or anyone else, could decide...for you...if it is "worth it".

We payed no where near $1900 per person for a balcony in 2011, I think it was more like $1000 per person and it was so worth it to us.

We have never been to Hawaii and felt this was the best way to see as much as we could in one visit.

We rented a car on each island and did our own thing, came in three days early and stayed a day later

I would highly recommend it to anyone! Friendly staff, great ports of call, great food and a balcony is the way to go

I guess 2011 was the year to go ... we are paying over $2000 apiece for our POA balcony in 2013; we sailed in a Jewel OS for very little more this year. But to sail from Honolulu, this is the only ship, and NCL knows it!

I hope it's worth it, we'll see next year!

YES!!!!!!!!! I went with my sister. I think we paid $1,449 a person for a balcony.

It worked the best for me because I only had a week off work and I HATE flying so aside from getting there, being able to float to a different island while I slept was pure magic.

There is so much to see in each of the island, overnight stop or otherwise in 7 days ... that, you hardly spend anytime onboard, except to sleep, eat, change, and plan for the following day. Thus, we didn't opt for a balcony back in 2009 - bargain pricing in those days - $899 p/p last minute for OV, deck 8 - $200 plus more p/p for moving up to balcony category. And, we nailed down inexpensive RT air on United from East Coast, connect via ORD on widebody 777's

We planned our own land-based tours and saved $$ too, not spending for the balcony meant that we had extra for specialty dining onboard.

And, 5 of us truely enjoyed our balcony on Waikiki post-cruise, booking a 2 BR condo unit for 3 nights within one of the many hotel with 1,200 SF, fully equipped kitchen, laundry & twice daily maid service, valet parking, and beautiful sunset AND sunrise view - breakfast on the porch/balcony.

There are still land-based hotel deals year-round in HNL - not so much for airfares, and, once factoring in the POA packages & incidentals - the whole vacation is easily putting many out of its reach.

But, if one haven't been to Hawaii - it is worth considering to see the islands on a 7 nights journey, waking up early each morning @ 6 AM for a full day ahead - the POA serving as the floating deluxe hotel ...

Cruise prices have risen dramatically for POA. Maybe it may be cheaper the further out you book.

I booked aft balcony for Nov 2012 in Nov 2011. The price is now more than $600 per person that what we paid.

We were on the POA June 2nd. I felt it was the only way to really see Hawaii in a limited amount of time. Yes it was expensive compared to a caribbean cruise - no comparison. Can't remember exactly what we paid but it was somewhere close to $3400-3700 for 2. We had a standard balcony (actually it was a great balcony because it was the end of the aft/port bump out - cabin# 9666). We had stayed in Waikiki for 3 days prior. It was nice to get onboard, unpack and not have to worry about getting to another island. We did rent cars on all islands except the Big Island. My only regret was not to do a B2B on the POA. We thought the ship and staff were great. For us, this was a once in a lifetime trip, not sure that we'll do it again being from the East Coast............flying is pricey too.

GO SEE HAWAII !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't great memories worth the price paid..You may never get another chance..........Go for the gusto !!!!! I am paying $2500. for 2 for an inside booked a year ago...........I'm only in the cabin to sleep, so don't need anything more cabin wise. Good Luck !!!!!!!!

Wasn't worth it for us. We were husband & wife, friend of husband and sister of husband, so we needed 3 separate bedrooms. Would have had sister and I in one cabin and husband and friend in another cabin. Couldn't see $1900 pp for a week.

Ended up we rented houses from VRBO on the Big Island for 5 nights and one on Oahu for 5 nights, so we had 10 nights vacation for only $1300 pp including air fare. Saved money on food by cooking breakfast and dinner at the house, then even packing lunches for the day. We did eat out a few times, but sure was nice knowing we could eat at the house.

Stick to your land vacations for Hawaii!

This is an option for our honeymoon next summer and we were wondering about the prices as well. We haven't decided where to go yet but this sure beats a land vacation/tour and I get to avoid the small airplanes.

This is an option for our honeymoon next summer and we were wondering about the prices as well. We haven't decided where to go yet but this sure beats a land vacation/tour and I get to avoid the small airplanes.

The earlier you book the cheaper it is. We saved over $600 by booking about 8 months early.

If you have never been to Hawaii then I would say it is worth it. If you go there twice a year I would probably not do that cruise. When we did it we have never been there and wanted to go for our 10th. Now that I have seen the different islands I have a better idea which one I would go to later.

Aloha,

For a first timer or for someone who is taking a trip of a lifetime, it's worth the price. For someone who visits Hawaii twice a year, probably not. You could probably island hop on each of your twice yearly visits and see what you want to see at your leisure. While someone who opts for a 7 day cruise on the POA is limited by the amount of time the ship spends in each port.

Now if that person has the time, he/she can opt to spend time pre or ppost cruise on an island of their choice.

I have to agree with rockabutzer - if you visit the islands yearly then the cruise may not be for you as you will only spend a short time on each island. Unless you are like me and just enjoy cruising. This will be my fourth time on Pride of America but I love to cruise and the islands are a plus!!:D

We doubt we will be making it back to Hawaii any time soon. The cruise is the perfect solution for us. We are seeing:

- Pearl Harbor

- Haleakala

- Old Lahiana Luau

- Road to Hana

- Kiawea

- Deep Sea Fishing

- Waimea Canyon

- North Shore

- Diamond Head

All in 10 days and only the flight there and back. I would love to have a few additional days but work does not permit it so we maxed out this vacation experience. Plus when you add in the monetary savings eating breakfast and most dinners on the ship it really is not a bad value.

I agree with the others, if you go all the time it is not worth it. You did mention that friends and family will be going with you. If this is their first visit then I wold probably go with them on the cruise.

As far as the ship, you're right in that it is not fancy as the Solstice. We looked at it as a floating hotel for our visit. Never had a bad meal and the service was good.

Aloha,

We were originally looking at this cruise for 2014 .... but .... we are now leaning towards a 2-week cruise on Princess out of LA. The price is comparable to NCL's one-week cruise, and my husband is not big on flying for that length of time ...

We were originally looking at this cruise for 2014 .... but .... we are now leaning towards a 2-week cruise on Princess out of LA. The price is comparable to NCL's one-week cruise, and my husband is not big on flying for that length of time ...

You have very little island time if you do this cruise. Fly there and do back to back cruises but do an overnight stop when flying there and back. Folks have said how they spent night in LA and were in Honolulu by lunch time not dinner time.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked an inside for Oct 6 this year and have had balconies, OV and insides. We prefer the insides. Other than sleeping or changing to go back out again, we maybe spend 3 or 4% of the time in the cabin. Can't see paying 50% more for a balcony. Just us, but that is how it is. The cheapest inside, through NCL is $1199 right now for the next couple of years, for an inside and the balconies are at least $400 more and in most cases, $600+ more. Had friends that got the balcony and he said he was glad they did. One time when on the balcony he saw a sailfish dances on it's tail. Just seemed to me like an expensive memory shot for $900 for the two of them and she didn't even get to see it. :) We compared this cruise to land based and to see all 4 islands with airfare and hotels and food, etc, even checked VRBO for houses and for what you get on the cruise it is well worth it. We live close to Houston so we have several ships that sail from Galveston, maybe 45 minute drive, and they sail the Caribbean and to the Bahamas. We can book on any of them, except Disney for both us to go cheaper than it costs for one on the Pride. But just two different animals. We are excited to heading that way in 40 - 45 days.

If you like sea days and want to see the Islands from the ocean, and do some shore excursions that you might not do if you are spending a land vacation in Hawaii, you might try a 14-15 day cruise round trip from California. We had been to Hawaii on land vacations several times, but did a Princess cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii and around the islands. It was wonderful, and we had a great time. The prices were comparable to what you would be paying for a seven day cruise. You might want to check some of the other main stream lines for that kind of cruise.........it was definitely different than a Hawaiian land vacation, if you have the time. We are planning our first NCL cruise next Spring, so I dont know if NCL has Hawaiian cruises from the Pacific Coast.

We decided to do the NCL cruise before our weeks stay at Aulani in September 2012. We already did a cruise on Princess from LA to Hawaii and return. And we have also did one from Hawaii (Honolulu) to Vancouver BC on a repositioning cruise. Both of these cruises did ports of calls at the larger islands in Hawaii. But none of them did overnight stops like POA is doing. Since we do not regularly go to Hawaii, we feel traveling by cruise ship is a good way to go, you see more variety than staying on a couple of islands over a ten day period. And we will be at Aulani for 7 nights so well have plenty of time to explore Oahu then.

Archived