1st Cruise...

angeleyez273

We will be going on our first cruise this coming September on Royal Caribbeans Explorer of the Sea out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda. Really have no clue about cruising and would appreciate any advice and tips anyone can give. Especially if you have been on this specific cruise before. It is the 7 night cruise to Bermuda only. I am interested in doing the Dolphin excursion but have heard mixed reviews on it. We are traveling with our 5 kids who will be 2,2,6,10 & 13 yrs old

Thanks in advance!:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising. A good way to start is to check if there is a roll call for your cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260

You can "meet" some of the people on your cruise and find out more about shore excursions. Also check the Bermuda port of call board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

I'm sure you will love your cruise.

Welcome to cruise critic!! I encourage you to write a review of your cruise when you get back. I have never done this trip but it sounds like it would be a nice relaxing cruise.

Looking at the ages of the children...wow, you need a cruise :D I admire you!!

My husband did a dolphin excursion when we were in Puerto Vallarta and loved it. He did one where he actually interacted with the dophin, swam with it etc. I don't know if your youngest children could attend or not. You might want to find out who the vendor is for the tour and find out what rules they have. Just google dolphin swim bermuda and see what comes up. If you can book the excursion privately, it will save you a lot of money with taking the whole family. And, they might have some options for your size of group and age ranges. Sometimes the cruiseline will lock up vendors where they're not allowed to sell to cruise passengers. Since you're docked in Bermuda at least overnight, it's not like you have to be back to the ship at the end of the day to depart. You don't have to tell the vendor you're on a cruise.

Only you know your family and how much they would enjoy such an interaction. All you will get here is other people's opinion, so reserve your judgement since they are no better than the reviews that you will see reported on places such as on Trip Advisor, the cruise line's website, or even the direct book web site for the interaction.

With that said here's my opinion; it's not the best or worst option for a dolphin interaction. It is more expensive than other venues on other cruise destinations that offer similar programs, but if this trip to Bermuda will be your only chance to do something like this then go ahead and book it whichever way you choose to.

My advice though would be instead of booking with the cruise line would be to first go to the National Museum of Bermuda ($10 for adults, children under 13 are free, & it's right in the dockyard so no transportation needed) where the encounters are held and spend at least a half hour observing how the interactions are held. This observer only option for just the admission to the fort is unique in the realm of dolphin interactions, from there you can form your own opinions as to if the children and yourself would enjoy spending some level of time in the water w/ the dolphins or if you/they are better off w/ the at the wall petting & kiss experience (& in some rare cases some children are satisfied w/ just observing from the close by spectator benches). At that point if any of the available programs appeal to your family you can customize a package directly w/ the tour operator rather than being stuck with the whatever limited options/times the cruise line has negotiated. If you want to research what's available ahead of time Dolphin Quest does have it's own web site.

i sailed EOS myself. longer trip but we went to Brumuda. stop at the glass blowing factory it was very cool. you got to watch them actualy blowing glass items. we also went to... horsebay beach i believe it was called. not crowded and beautiful. took the pink bus there ( careful thsoe rides are crazzzzy ) and the water taxi back

i dont have a trip review but i do have pics on my FB page.

Archived