Surge Protectors- Allowed or Not???

Shaded Lady

I just got off the Paradise out of Tampa on Thursday. I planned on bringing a surge protector with me to recharge my laptop and iPad. I checked here on CC, on the Carnival site and even called Carnival. I was told that as long as it was a surge protector (not just a multi-pronged power strip) in good working order that would not represent a hazard, that it was allowed.

When we were going through security in Tampa, Security confiscated my surge protector from my laptop bag. I told them that the Carnival site says it is allowed, and they told me that the Paradise Security director won’t allow them on the ship.

The head of Port Security told me if I was traveling the next day on the Legend, they would have allowed it- it depended on the ship. They then told me that they would be seizing and destroying the surge protector.

I voiced my objection that I wouldn’t get it back at the end of the cruise, since Carnival had told me it was allowed, and it wasn’t my fault the Paradise guy had changed Carnival policy. They told me to take it up with Guest Services once I was onboard.

On the first sea day I went to Guest Services regarding the confiscated surge protector in the port of Tampa… I explained the situation to the girl on the desk. I got the impression she didn’t understand most of what I was telling her, confirmed later when I got a letter from her telling me they couldn’t find any reference in Carnival’s rules about allowable items for ‘search protectors’.

So every day for the next 3 days I talked to someone at Guest Services, and each afternoon I got a letter from them to please come see them so they could give me an update. The first 2 days, I went back to Guest Services in the afternoon only to have to explain the whole thing over again.

Finally on the 3rd day, I spoke to an Australian girl who seemed to really understand what I was asking for, and that afternoon, sure enough, my 3rd letter telling me to please visit Guest Services. This time they told me that they’d contacted Tampa Portside Security and that my surge protector would be returned when I disembarked in Tampa! Nice!

Sure enough, when I ‘bonged’ off the ship at the end of the cruise, an alarm went off and they called Tampa Security to let them know I was on my way and as I left the building, the woman to took the surge protector was right there to hand it to me! Too bad Carnival created this confusion themselves…

My reason for making an issue of this was that Carnival was giving conflicting information... Paradise passengers from Tampa couldn't bring surge protectors onboard, while Legend passengers in Tampa could... I told them that I didn't have a problem not bringing the surge protector on board if I'd been told that from the beginning, but to have different rules for different ships was a problem. Also note that while it never became an issue for us, since we planned when we had to charge things (iPad, laptop, camera) there was only 1 outlet in our cabin.

More importantly, to confiscate and destroy the surge protector that I'd verified in advance was allowed, was unacceptable to me. The cost of the surge protector was not a huge deal, about $20 at Best Buy and it was new. I wasn't looking for compensation, just for an indication that they'd fix this confusion for other passengers.

While this turned out fine for me, I don't get the feeling that Carnival is going to clear up this confusion any time soon. So be warned, certain ships (I suspect older ones, with older electrical systems) can take your surge protector without warning, and may not return it. So if you decide to chance it, I'd take an older one that won't hurt you any to lose.

This didn't negatively affect my cruise at all- we had a blast! Lots of R&R and quality time together. But I got such great info from Cruise Critic before I left that I thought I'd share what happened with others who may be wondering about it.

I just got off the Paradise out of Tampa on Thursday. I planned on bringing a surge protector with me to recharge my laptop and iPad. I checked here on CC, on the Carnival site and even called Carnival. I was told that as long as it was a surge protector (not just a multi-pronged power strip) in good working order that would not represent a hazard, that it was allowed.

When we were going through security in Tampa, Security confiscated my surge protector from my laptop bag. I told them that the Carnival site says it is allowed, and they told me that the Paradise Security director won’t allow them on the ship.

I think saying the Carnival SITE says it is allowed, you might be taking some liberties.

Its always been a on and off again item.

I had a 6 ft cord, that allows more than one thing to be plugged in, and it was taken in Miami, but not other ports that it has gone thru.

If someone TOLD you it was ok .. you should have gotten it in writing as the site does not say its allowed or not specially. .. if it was the carnival FORUM site .. then print it out and bring it, otherwise, they can take it or not.

Sorry .. but there have been tons of threads about these kinds of items and they really dont seem to always be allowed even though you say the carnival site allows them.

Get it in writing next time?

Many of us have had similar problems.

Put it in your luggage worse thing they can do is take it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise!! I take one all the time!!!

Mine was in my luggage, my carry on luggage. I rarely check a bag. they went thru my luggage by hand and pulled out my alarm clock I had the small cord attached to. .. removed it and took it.

Thats the first time I ever had anyone go thru my luggage completely like that by hand, underwear and everything.

I think saying the Carnival SITE says it is allowed, you might be taking some liberties.

Its always been a on and off again item.

I had a 6 ft cord, that allows more than one thing to be plugged in, and it was taken in Miami, but not other ports that it has gone thru.

If someone TOLD you it was ok .. you should have gotten it in writing as the site does not say its allowed or not specially. .. if it was the carnival FORUM site .. then print it out and bring it, otherwise, they can take it or not.

Sorry .. but there have been tons of threads about these kinds of items and they really dont seem to always be allowed even though you say the carnival site allows them.

Get it in writing next time?

Many of us have had similar problems.

I think you missed the point of my post- some Carnival ships allow it, some do not, and that if they take it you might not get it back.

I'm familiar with all the posts on this subject- sorry if you felt I'd cluttered the board with one more! :rolleyes:

Shaded Lady, I like your tenacity! Nothing beats a strong will, not even a half-witted policy. There's a point where you either find the right person to solve your issue, or drive them so crazy with pestering that they'll give in to anything. As you said, the price of the thing wasn't the issue, the poorly established policy and misinformation was the issue.

Wow, you sure had a rotten time with that incident. I hate it when people don't use common sense. I'm happy you got it back at the end, but a pain in the meantime.

I bring one of the white ones, so far had no problems. I put it in my laptop bag and carry it on. Next time I will put it in my locked luggage and have it checked in. And also find where it is allowed and print the info.

Thanks for posting what happened.

Melanie

I would take issue with the recommendation to take an old surge protector. Old ones are much more likely to have a problem that can lead to a fire, which is the main concern that would lead to them not being allowed on board.

If you stick with a small unit like in the screenshot above, you shouldn't have a problem. I had an even smaller one that let me keep my laptop and phone plugged in, though the room stewards often unplugged it when doing the room.

Seems that if you board with this

sp30.jpg

You might have problems because of the wires.

But if you board with one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCFhEr4ovyCboHiRkfwU_ELGNzEn8dgMKY6kDWdSTYIbrNYVyI

you should be OK.

I took one like the first pic on our Fantasy cruise last summer, had no problems and I wondered if I would cuz so many people on these boards said its an older ship and that could be a reason.

I will look for surge protectors like the 2nd pic tho for our criuse next year, glad you were able to get yours back!

Archived