Rms

balf

I'm sure this topic must have been raised before so apologies in advance, but as I understand it Queen Elizabeth 2 was never a Royal Mail Ship but the present flagship is.

Other than prestige there seems little reason why mail needs to be carried by a liner and I certainly don't recall ever seeing mail bags being loaded before a transatlantic.

Could it be that RMS is just another Cunard vanity.

David.

At the start of some transatlantic crossings I've seen the Royal Mail Pennant flying from the mast.

On others it wasn't there.

I've read that a small/token amount of mail is carried each year (which could of course be completely wrong) and assumed, maybe wrongly, that the flag indicated there was indeed, mail on board on that crossing (never seen it flying on a QM2 cruise).

Of course this could all be for show as balf suggests.

Still I like to see "RMS", if only for nostalgic/tradition reasons, even if it is merely an honorific/courtesy title, as it seems it may be.

(Do the other three RMS ships (St Helena, Scillonian III, Segwun), still carry mail? Or is their "RMS" merely a title with no real meaning?)

Edited by pepperrn

At the start of some transatlantic crossings I've seen the Royal Mail Pennant flying from the mast.

On others it wasn't there.

I've read that a small/token amount of mail is carried each year (which could of course be completely wrong) and assumed, maybe wrongly, that the flag indicated there was indeed, mail on board on that crossing (never seen it flying on a QM2 cruise).

Of course this could all be for show as balf suggests.

Still I like to see "RMS", if only for nostalgic/tradition reasons, even if it is merely an honorific/courtesy title, as it seems it may be.

(Do the other three RMS ships (St Helena, Scillonian III, Segwun), still carry mail? Or is their "RMS" merely a title with no real meaning?)

By chance I listened to a programme on Radio 4 yesterday about the island of St Helena, and it was clear from that programme that all mail for St Helena is still carried the eponymous Royal Mail Ship. However this, I understand, will change very soon when the new airport opens.

J

I have seen the Royal Mail pennant flying on the QM2 as often as I have seen it on the QE2. There is a pillar box on the QM2 and mail posted on board via the purser's office is cancelled with "posted on board ... " (as it was on the QE2).

The RMS St. Helena is being withdrawn from service. There will be an open house at Tilbury on the 11th of June.

http://rms-st-helena.com/2016/05/16/rms-st-helena-open-day-tilbury-london/

There is a post box on the RMS Segwun. Mail posted there is cancelled as being posted on board. The cancellation takes place on shore, however. Sadly, the Canadian government ceased using the term "Royal mail" a few decades ago. In my opinion our post can still be called Royal mail because Canada Post is a Crown corporation. There is always at least one stamp issue available bearing the portrait of the Queen of Canada.

You are 100% correct in that the QE2 never was officially designated a Royal Mail Ship. In keeping with Cunard's wanting to portray itself as discotheque moderne at that time "RMS" was considered outmoded.

In popular use however "RMS" was frequently used even by some of her captains.

By chance I listened to a programme on Radio 4 yesterday about the island of St Helena, and it was clear from that programme that all mail for St Helena is still carried the eponymous Royal Mail Ship. However this, I understand, will change very soon when the new airport opens.

J

Jimmy

It's good to see you posting again.albeit few and far between!

Some of us miss your wit and interesting contributions.

Stewart

Jimmy It's good to see you posting again.albeit few and far between! Some of us miss your wit and interesting contributions.

Stewart

I'll second that; informed contributions, great wit and consistantly a pleasure to read. More please Cruachan/Jimmy :)

I'll second that; informed contributions, great wit and consistantly a pleasure to read. More please Cruachan/Jimmy :)

Thanks Pepper and Stewart - your kind words are very much appreciated. I'll do my best to be more of a regular in future.

Maybe I can post a few words from my forthcoming cruise.

J

You are 100% correct in that the QE2 never was officially designated a Royal Mail Ship. In keeping with Cunard's wanting to portray itself as discotheque moderne at that time "RMS" was considered outmoded.

In popular use however "RMS" was frequently used even by some of her captains.

That's funny and it wasn't only the captains then who referred to her as a Royal Mail Ship! All the ship's menus, ship board stationary, and wall plaques onboard clearly stated RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 during my first QE2 crossing in 1980. Also I am currently looking at a postcard which I wrote and sent home from the ship at the cost of 14 P. Its Royal Mail cancellation reads, ''Southampton 11 Aug 1980 Paquebot, in the circle and in the line across the stamps,""PAQUEBOT POSTED AT SEA."

On a site dedicated to keeping watch on QE2, there is a quote from former Captain Ian McNaught:

"...Sir Basil Smallpiece wanted the “ship of tomorrow, today” to quote him, so boring old fashioned terms like RMS were not sexy enough for him, so on the original Cert of Registry she is described as a steamship, after re engining she was then described as TSMV, twin screw motor vessel, and then when the new form of Cert of Registry was introduced in the 90s she was described on there as a motor vessel, but never in her life did she have any letters of designation in front of her name, she was always just written as or called, Queen Elizabeth 2 on all her official paper work and certificates.

"...She did carry mail on the odd occasion, I can remember taking mail to St.Helena when we did calls there, and we did have a mail pennant which we flew, but she was never re designated for the odd voyage where mail was carried, she was still just QE2, the greatest ship in the world !!"

Amazing how these things circle back! Those who loved QE2 no doubt felt a special prefix with more cachet was more befitting the vessel. And when QM2 was named Cunard went through the trouble to officially obtain the "RMS" designation.

J

The new AIRPORT is open, it opened the friday before we did our cruise by on the Queen Victoria this year during the WC. The St Helena was at anchor and was apparently on her last visit. Was an interesting island to see from the ship, would have loved to have done a visit there but maybe next time. R

The new AIRPORT is open, it opened the friday before we did our cruise by on the Queen Victoria this year during the WC. The St Helena was at anchor and was apparently on her last visit. Was an interesting island to see from the ship, would have loved to have done a visit there but maybe next time. R

Yes it is a very a interesting island though set to change soon with the opening of the airport. When we visited via QE2 some years ago it was like visiting another world with every car truck and tractor on the quays to take us around the island.

There was some problem when the first trial flights started with wind shear affecting landings. Not heard how they have resolved it.

Incidentally RMS St Helena Is apparently owned by the East India Company which is still in existence.

David.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure that they have resolved it, the official opening was supposed to have been May 21st but it has been postponed with no new date set. Airport opening ceremony postponed
This news has been confirmed today, the opening of the £285m aiport on St Helena has now been postponed indefinitely.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36490496

The previously essential, but now redundant RMS St Helena is due to be sold next month.

I know of a remote island in the South Atlantic without an aiport that needs supplies to delivered to the population on a regular basis. Maybe they could use the newly available RMS St Helena for this vital service? ;) ...

Edited by pepperrn

This news has been confirmed today, the opening of the £285m aiport on St Helena has now been postponed indefinitely.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36490496

The previously essential, but now redundant RMS St Helena is due to be sold next month.

I know of a remote island in the South Atlantic without an aiport that needs supplies to delivered to the population on a regular basis. Maybe they could use the newly available RMS St Helena for this vital service? ;) ...

RMS St Helena is in London tonight moored alongside H.M.S. Belfast and Tower Bridge. She is being kept on until September according to this report.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2016-06-07/rms-st-helena-makes-farewell-visit-to-uk/

M-AR

RMS St Helena is in London tonight moored alongside H.M.S. Belfast and Tower Bridge. She is being kept on until September according to this report. http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2016-06-07/rms-st-helena-makes-farewell-visit-to-uk/ M-AR
Excellent news, thank you for posting.

I wouldn't be in any rush to let her go in September...

(Didn't anyone notice how windy it was during the yeas of planning, and construction?)

Thanks again.

Oh the Glory Days in the Big Apple!

When I was growing up in New York in the postwar 40’s, 50’s and 60’s the NY Times would daily publish a Shipping Mails notice which indicated which ships were arriving or sailing, on which day of the week. The notice would indicate the name of the ship, the shipping line, the number of passengers (inbound), and whence the mails by country. On outbound ships the notice indicated whither the mails by country-and if I remember correctly,the day when the mails for which country would close for the last minute mailers. This all ended,as it did with our railroads, when the powers that be decided that the mails were safe going by air (a pox on those jumbos!); though AMTRAK did carry mail for a good while when it took over in the seventies.

The SS United States( and until 1960 the SS America) survived in large part on US Mail and the transportation of US military personnel posted in Germany and the other US bases in Europe.

One used to get a “Mailed on Board QE2” stamp on QE2 but I don’t think there was an official postal operation on the ship. Oh long ago and far away!

(Didn't anyone notice how windy it was during the yeas of planning, and construction?)

Thanks again.

Wasn't worth the effort really it's only £280 mil of taxpayers money.

David.