US immigration problems

nomadgirluk

This apparently applies to domestic travel as well. I wish I had known about this a couple of years ago.

I am a US citizen, and being a merchant ship's officer, DHS requires that I have a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential), which costs me $135 every 5 years, and requires an FBI background check.

However, up until the advent of the new scanning devices, virtually every time I flew to or from the ship, I would be singled out for additional screening (visual search of carryon, pat down, explosive residue test), and while this in no way equates to a 3 hour CBP interview, was tiresome. The problem was that my reservation triggered 3 flags:

1. Ticket purchased by third party (my company's travel agent, paid for by the company)

2. One way ticket (not returning for 2-3 months, so no return booked)

3. Ticket booked within 7 days of travel.

All of these combined to put me into the potential terrorist category. It happens, and it's not real pleasant, but there's not much that can be done.

Maybe not much you can do, but . . .

Seems like DHS is unnecessarily wasting resources here. Not only is the time/manpower to investigate you repeatedly wasted, but all the effort and data base costs to compile the data for your TWIC and on your company is also wasted. It should be simple to cross reference that and get more than "threat" in response. If that's the state of our intelligence capacity :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: I'm not sleeping better.

Maybe not much you can do, but . . .

Seems like DHS is unnecessarily wasting resources here. Not only is the time/manpower to investigate you repeatedly wasted, but all the effort and data base costs to compile the data for your TWIC and on your company is also wasted. It should be simple to cross reference that and get more than "threat" in response. If that's the state of our intelligence capacity :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: I'm not sleeping better.

Well, the whole TWIC thing has been a goat-roping from the beginning. As far as I know, about 8 years after the program was initiated, there still are no working readers for the biometric data on the card, which was its sole reason for existence. While I insist on using my TWIC as my ID when flying (if I have to pay for the dang thing, they sure as heck are going to see it as often as possible), I have heard that TSA at some airports do not recognize the cards (even though their own parent Cabinet Department issued the dang thing.

It's been a huge boondoggle, since not only mariners, but every truck driver, longshoreman, taxi driver, ship's agent, supply vendor, and even the port chaplains have to get one if they want to enter the port areas.

Well, the whole TWIC thing has been a goat-roping from the beginning. As far as I know, about 8 years after the program was initiated, there still are no working readers for the biometric data on the card, which was its sole reason for existence. While I insist on using my TWIC as my ID when flying (if I have to pay for the dang thing, they sure as heck are going to see it as often as possible), I have heard that TSA at some airports do not recognize the cards (even though their own parent Cabinet Department issued the dang thing.

It's been a huge boondoggle, since not only mariners, but every truck driver, longshoreman, taxi driver, ship's agent, supply vendor, and even the port chaplains have to get one if they want to enter the port areas.

My son is working on getting his credentials so that he may apply for employment with the Military Sealift Command. He'll be happy to hear about this:o.

Edited by sparks1093

But an ESTA doesn't guarantee entry. It just gives you permission to travel to the US and then request entry.

Yep, that's appreciated.

But surely the whole point of an ESTA is to weed out existing problems before travel.

The granting of an ESTA may not be a guarantee, but i'd be grieved to be granted an ESTA and then refused at the gate for some reason that was known when the ESTA was granted. Including names etc similar to a miscreant.

Hopefully the website you've linked will solve the OP's conundrum :)

JB :)

My son is working on getting his credentials so that he may apply for employment with the Military Sealift Command. He'll be happy to hear about this:o.

If he's going for original documents, at least he can get his MMC and TWIC aligned to expire at the same time. I've renewed my TWIC twice already, and still trying to get them aligned, but without paying extra for renewing early. Oh, well, only one more renewal of my MMC (5 years to retirement). :)

MSC has its own set of requirements for additional training, etc. While MSC is a good way to get sea time in a hurry (once you are on the ship, it is very common not to get a relief so you can get off in time, sometimes months later), I would say that after a couple of years, he should switch to commercial shipping.

If he's going for original documents, at least he can get his MMC and TWIC aligned to expire at the same time. I've renewed my TWIC twice already, and still trying to get them aligned, but without paying extra for renewing early. Oh, well, only one more renewal of my MMC (5 years to retirement). :)

MSC has its own set of requirements for additional training, etc. While MSC is a good way to get sea time in a hurry (once you are on the ship, it is very common not to get a relief so you can get off in time, sometimes months later), I would say that after a couple of years, he should switch to commercial shipping.

I think once he has his credentials he'd almost be willing to look at anything to get his foot in the door. If you don't mind my asking is there a website that he can visit that has commerial shipping listings? He'll be entry level in the supply department (wants to work his way up to be a cook).

I think once he has his credentials he'd almost be willing to look at anything to get his foot in the door. If you don't mind my asking is there a website that he can visit that has commerial shipping listings? He'll be entry level in the supply department (wants to work his way up to be a cook).

Not to hijack the thread, but here goes.

The way I remember it, in order to get an entry level MMC (ordinary seaman, wiper, or food handler), you needed to have a letter of commitment from a company willing to hire you once you had your credentials. That's sort of a catch 22, as most deep sea companies are unionized, and they obtain their ratings from the union. Except in MSC (not sure how they work things over on the dark side), he would be in the Steward's department if he wanted to be a cook. There are maritime job sites out there, but I would stay away from them, as they tend to limit their jobs to offshore supply vessels (poor pay, poor benefits, poor schedule) and also will take a couple months salary for placing you. To get with a company going deep sea, his best bet would be Seafarers International Union (I think MSC is SIU for the ratings anyway). I think if he applies there, the union will give him the letter of commitment, and he can get his documents.

Commercially, the shipping companies agree to place a job vacancy with the union, the union places the job "on the board", and it is bid for on a seniority basis. Once having sailed with a company, many companies have "preferential shipping" agreements with the union, and then they can call a person back to reclaim a job after vacation without having to bid on the job. It all depends on seniority, though, so he will not get the plum jobs right away.

If you want to discuss this, start another thread, and I'll answer as much as I know, until I go back to the ship at the end of the month. I'll couch it in terms of working for NCL in Hawaii, so the mods won't feel it is too far from cruising.

Edited by chengkp75

Let's get back to your basic enquiry.

You say that you want to book a cruise line fly/cruise package to the Caribbean flying from the UK.

All the packages will include a one night pre cruise stay, if one of your party is unfortunately required to undergo secondary immigration checks which delays clearance you will not miss the ship sailing on the next day.

There are likely to be frustrating delays if you have to change planes at your first US arrival airport caused by coincident arrivals of flights from central american states and the subsequent need to pass through the next check-in security for your flight to the cruise port.

Do not vent your frustration at the immigration & security officers, they are in a pressurised environment and can make your experience miserable or pleasant, generally dependant on your attitude.

We have entered the US many times and never had a problem at the border and specifically on our last visit the officer showed us his own holiday photos of the same route we had planned.

Book without worries.

I don't know why he's singled out; they must have some reason for their questioning.

In general terms though, someone isn't a threat until they are.

Interesting thread. I fly into the US quite a lot, both on vacation and for work meetings. The ESTA process is generally very easy but my sister in law who had never been overseas was rejected and had to travel to Sydney for an interview before being given a visa (I think a 5 year visa). She has a very common name and it turned out that someone from Canada with a different birthdate had the same name and was on the 'list'. It caused her a lot of stress.

But generally the ESTA process is easy and entry is about the same as most other places.

You say that you want to book a cruise line fly/cruise package to the Caribbean flying from the UK.

All the packages will include a one night pre cruise stay.

Errr, not my experience. ;)

All cruise lines use same-day for chartered direct flights to the Caribbean.

For cruises out of the US I guess it may depend on the port and the flight time and routing. Flights to the eastern US from the UK mainly arrive early pm. Then Canaveral for instance is some distance from the Orlando airports, but Miami & Fort Lauderdale ports are a relatively short hop from airports and cruise lines certainly offer same-day flight/cruise.

A big factor is the routing, one of many reasons I'd not choose cruise-air.

Cruise lines have their pet airlines (sorry, their "preferred air partners" :rolleyes:) because they get good discounts. If for instance your home airport is Manchester and your cruise sails out of Miami, you may find that altho other airlines may have direct flights, if their pet airline doesn't then you'll be routed via a change at their hub in Amsterdam or Atlanta.

Or Timbuktu. :D

And cruise lines are very coy about giving flight details when you book.:rolleyes:

That of course is likely to mean a much later arrival, thus an overnight hotel.

But I certainly wouldn't suggest that those fixing their own long-haul flights should book same-day flight/cruise, regardless of flight times or the ease of passage thro' immigration - there are plenty of other potential delays. :eek:

Just my own experience, others will have had different experiences.

JB :)

Cruise lines will always book the best priced flights. They are not interested in passenger's convenience or comfort. To book cruise line air does not always give you any choice in how/when you will be flying. It is very rare when it is a better price or choice to book with the cruise line than on your own. There is no guarantee they ship will be held if you are late but they will (presumably) assist in getting you to next port.

Unfortunately, the world in which we now live, profiling at airports and by US Immigration goes on, so if you have a last name that's on the US watch list, even if you've been through US Immigration in the past, there's no assurance that you won't be pulled from line and subjected to more screening. It's just the way of today's world. The only way to circumvent this and not miss the ship is to book your own flights and come into the US the day before. Otherwise you run the risk of being held at Immigration and missing your cruise.

Another way is to book a cruise that does not start in the US. I believe Thompson has ships that start their cruise in Barbados. You might not have as many problems starting from that island.

To the OP....yes, we will never, ever sail from Fort Lauderdale again, for the reasons you mention- not only the lack of officers, but because of the questioning, each word of which I remember clearly, on just a transfer from the ship to the ship's airport transfer coach. A doctor standing in the queue was suggesting that he may well have to use the defibrillator on the wall.

We found it simple using Sandford airport at Orlando, although that's a few years back- Thomson Fly used to use that, so you could check their airline?

The other way could be to fly via Dublin or Shannon. You go through US immigration there, so just walk off the plane at your destination.

Thanks for that. Our problem is that most of the fly/cruise deals from the UK include the flight (and it is the cheaper option) - we do not usually have to arrange our own flights, so are reliant upon the cruise company to deal with that aspect.

Our last cruise on The Navigator of the Seas saw a problem similar to this. I'm not sure if the people involved were held up by immigration or the connecting flight was delayed but because this small group bought their airline tickets through the cruise line the ship waited for them. We left Galveston at 7:30 PM instead of 4:30-5:00. And somehow we made up for lost time because we made it to our first island on time without changing our itinerary.

Edited by lady_cruiser