Ultimate Denali Hike & Flight

fireflymd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, guess nobody on this forum has done this day hike in Denali.

I'm going to contact K2 Aviation because I just realized the total length of the excursion is 4 hours (actually 6 hours because the McKinley Princess Lodge is an hour away and we will be shuttled back and forth).

So there will be at least 4 hours that we will be on the floatplane or hiking in Denali park. I haven't told my teenage daughter yet that there will be no bathroom! :eek:

For those who have done extended hikes--do you bring toilet paper? or is a pack of tissues fine? And a ziploc bag for garbage? We are not campers, so this might be an interesting part of this trip!

Today I searched through TripAdvisor and finally found a few reviews of this excursion--all good, so that's a huge relief. I was also a bit worried because I am not very athletic, but it looks like you just have to be able to reasonably walk/hike to do it.

The company recommends synthetic hiking pants, but a gentleman took a picture of himself wearing jeans for this hike, so I no longer have to worry about getting hiking pants for my family that they'll never wear otherwise.

I really, really cannot wait for this trip! Seeing Alaska on Top Chef has also been a hoot! And there are so many shows about Alaska on cable, I find myself watching them with interest as well.

Now I need to learn how to use my camera properly. I just can't wait.:)

I'm going to contact K2 Aviation because I just realized the total length of the excursion is 4 hours (actually 6 hours because the McKinley Princess Lodge is an hour away and we will be shuttled back and forth).

So there will be at least 4 hours that we will be on the floatplane or hiking in Denali park. I haven't told my teenage daughter yet that there will be no bathroom! :eek:

For those who have done extended hikes--do you bring toilet paper? or is a pack of tissues fine? And a ziploc bag for garbage? We are not campers, so this might be an interesting part of this trip!

Time to learn how to rough it:D.....You can get travel toliet paper if she want, but then it is carry or bury (then you need shoved) DW just roughed it on our hikes last year.

Today I searched through TripAdvisor and finally found a few reviews of this excursion--all good, so that's a huge relief. I was also a bit worried because I am not very athletic, but it looks like you just have to be able to reasonably walk/hike to do it.

The company recommends synthetic hiking pants, but a gentleman took a picture of himself wearing jeans for this hike, so I no longer have to worry about getting hiking pants for my family that they'll never wear otherwise.

I really, really cannot wait for this trip! Seeing Alaska on Top Chef has also been a hoot! And there are so many shows about Alaska on cable, I find myself watching them with interest as well.

Now I need to learn how to use my camera properly. I just can't wait.:)

Glad to hear it sounds like a great excursion. Definitely lots to watch on Alaska. I have been watching Coast Guard Alaska on the weather channel. They had a few times where they had to go and airlift someone off a cruise ship for some medical issue.

Definitely learn to use the camera. What kind are you taking? I experienced everything from bright sun and white snow cap mountains to overcast skies and rain. The pictures that tended to turn out the worst where the ones of DW and I when I had someone else take the picture and turned the camera back to Auto mode.

Tim

Time to learn how to rough it:D.....You can get travel toliet paper if she want, but then it is carry or bury (then you need shoved) DW just roughed it on our hikes last year.

Thanks, I think I will bring some tp. I'm just not going to tell her until we get there!:)

Glad to hear it sounds like a great excursion. Definitely lots to watch on Alaska. I have been watching Coast Guard Alaska on the weather channel. They had a few times where they had to go and airlift someone off a cruise ship for some medical issue.

Definitely learn to use the camera. What kind are you taking? I experienced everything from bright sun and white snow cap mountains to overcast skies and rain. The pictures that tended to turn out the worst where the ones of DW and I when I had someone else take the picture and turned the camera back to Auto mode.

Tim

This is what I'm afraid of--that I'll keep it in auto mode. I have a Nikon D3100. I really need to experiment with the camera to prepare for different lighting situations. I can't believe how little I've learned about this camera since I bought it. This is my next project--to really learn how to use this camera.

Where are they taking you to hike? Denali National Park has limited access to non-park vehicles. Denali State Park may be your hiking area.

I would telephone and ask.

Carry and bury is the plan for toileting. My luxury item is a zippy bag of baby wipes. There will be little privacy but the guides handle it most often by sending 'girls to the right and boys to the left' or some such.

When I hike alone, I'm always on watch for bears. I attract bears. Your guide will do that for you.

Where are they taking you to hike? Denali National Park has limited access to non-park vehicles. Denali State Park may be your hiking area.

I would telephone and ask.

Carry and bury is the plan for toileting. My luxury item is a zippy bag of baby wipes. There will be little privacy but the guides handle it most often by sending 'girls to the right and boys to the left' or some such.

When I hike alone, I'm always on watch for bears. I attract bears. Your guide will do that for you.

From the website:

Your flight will take you from Talkeetna to Moraine Lake, located between Backside Glacier and the Ruth Glacier within the vast roadless area of Denali National Park that is only accessible by float-plane.

LOL on attracting bears!

Oh, PennyAgain is not kidding about attracting bears. Perhaps she'll share her stories about unloading groceries at her family's Alaskan home, right Penny?;)

I keep telling her I want to hang out with her in AK so I can see more bears. Unfortunately, she finds no humor in that:D.

Oh, PennyAgain is not kidding about attracting bears. Perhaps she'll share her stories about unloading groceries at her family's Alaskan home, right Penny?;)

I keep telling her I want to hang out with her in AK so I can see more bears. Unfortunately, she finds no humor in that:D.

My very elderly Alaskan relatives are STILL unloading groceries at the same house, but have long since put in a driveway that gets the vehicle closer to the kitchen door. They still have to do the dance where they take one arm load of groceries out of the vehicle, shut the doors, walk to the kitchen door and put the groceries inside and repeat the process until the job is done.

They absolutely do not want bears to think of people and vehicles are food sources!

When you are out hiking unless you are high enough in altitude that it is no longer bear country, you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Your Alaskan relatives are ingenious, Penny! I picture them, as they do their individual trips into the kitchen, glancing over their shoulders the whole time. Priceless. I'm sure to them and to you as well, it is all about what you are used to and familiar with. While bears fascinate and intrique me and were the main focus of my last trip to AK, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I met one unexpectedly while going about my daily business. I must admit I'm a bit nervous about our upcoming land only trip because some hiking is on our agenda. While I want to go out and experience it all, I need to be mindful and bear aware. Believe me, I'm prepared. I'll be the one singing at the top of my lungs, sadly off key, but with a huge smile on my face as we're hiking along.

Thanks, as always, for your insight and no nonsense advice. This "grasshopper" has learned well;).

Your Alaskan relatives are ingenious, Penny! I picture them, as they do their individual trips into the kitchen, glancing over their shoulders the whole time. Priceless. I'm sure to them and to you as well, it is all about what you are used to and familiar with. While bears fascinate and intrique me and were the main focus of my last trip to AK, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I met one unexpectedly while going about my daily business. I must admit I'm a bit nervous about our upcoming land only trip because some hiking is on our agenda. While I want to go out and experience it all, I need to be mindful and bear aware. Believe me, I'm prepared. I'll be the one singing at the top of my lungs, sadly off key, but with a huge smile on my face as we're hiking along.

Thanks, as always, for your insight and no nonsense advice. This "grasshopper" has learned well;).

AIP, you have learned well. Yes, the elder folks are still functioning but for how long? So many years those grocery hauls were done the longer way to the door while also carrying or looking out for children. That said when I left Alaska to earn a living, I never dreamed it would be for decades.

Enjoy Alaska while you are young and fit. I don't regret anything I've done in Alaska. I'm trying not to regret the time I've been away. The temptation to earn a decent living drew me away. Had to be done.

• 1 month later...

Check this out -

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Girl-Female-Urination-Lavender/dp/B003BEDUS6

There are others similar to this out there. What my wife does is to go off the trail and do what she has to do. Your teenage daughter might not like to do that however.

DON

Check this out -

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Girl-Female-Urination-Lavender/dp/B003BEDUS6

There are others similar to this out there. What my wife does is to go off the trail and do what she has to do. Your teenage daughter might not like to do that however.

DON

Thanks, Don! Great idea. I actually found this one at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/407267/sani-fem-freshette-feminine-urinary-director

The advantage is the minimal removal of clothing, which I think would help. I wasn't going to tell her at all, until we got there, but this thing requires practice, so I may have to fess up before hand.

This is why I love this forum--there's always something new to learn!

Archived